Ariens 72/73 910995, was running well, now seems no spark - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 12-27-2016, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens 72/73 910995, was running well, now seems no spark

I picked up this thing for $50 and got it running well and it just chugs through the snow like nobody's business, however the last time I ran it the blower had a hard time starting and this time I couldn't get it to start. It has fuel, oil, turns over, but won't fire.

I pulled the plug to check if there was spark while turning it over and there was nothing at the electrode, however the wire was shocking the **** out of me so I know there is power getting to the end of the wire. Same thing if I put my finger on the end of the boot directly above the spark plug.

I figured that maybe the inside of the boot was rusted so I took a small file and cleaned the contact point in the boot and then used some dielectric grease, still no firing.

I then pulled a plug from a working blower just to see if I could visually see spark at the end of the plug and I couldn't (I ended up using that snowblower to do the job tonight).

I tested the "test plug" and it worked on the other machine, but not the machine in question.

I'm kind of at a loss here as there is "Juice" all the way to the plug, but not passing through it. Could it be that the voltage is too low to generate spark in the plug end? This is about the only thing I can think of.

Any input/suggestions or other trouble shooting you can think of. I've put about 5-6 hours on this thing this year and ran great until this happened

Additional Specs I've collected:

Ariens Snow blower 91008
24" 910995 snow thrower
Ariens IBM Number: 82014
Original Engine number: H70-130067A
Engine Number: 907300A
ShortBlock Number: 756180A
Engine Should be Governed t0 3600RPMs
Spark Plug: J8C or J17LM (J8C installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-28-2016, 12:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1384
better check the points on that 1 there.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 37 Old 12-28-2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Those are on the magneto behind the flywheel, correct?
post #4 of 37 Old 12-28-2016, 01:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Yep behind the flywheel.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 37 Old 12-28-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
anything in particular I need to watch for when disassembly the flywheel. Items/markings associated with timing etc...? Thanks, the starter just seized and burned up. It's been a great day of plowing. haha.
post #6 of 37 Old 12-28-2016, 01:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4soccer7 View Post
anything in particular I need to watch for when disassembly the flywheel. Items/markings associated with timing etc...? Thanks, the starter just seized and burned up. It's been a great day of plowing. haha.
No timing marks. might need a puller though.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 37 Old 12-28-2016, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The flywheel is on there pretty dang well. Kind of weird you have to pull 3 headbolts to remove that cover. Kind of a bad design really. It is leaking oil from the head gasket area.

I'm thinking a few things may need taken care of it I'm taking it this far apart. Any recommendations on all parts I should get?

I need a new starter, head gasket, i've done the carb and it's good now.

I did not see any threaded points in the flywheel for a puller, unless it is a rather large puller that grabs on behind the flywheel???
post #8 of 37 Old 12-28-2016, 02:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah they have those clamp style ones that grab the edge of the wheel.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 37 Old 12-28-2016, 02:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
might want to have a looksee at the valves and rings. check the breather out also. what do the cylinder walls look like??????????????? post some pics 4 me.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 37 Old 12-28-2016, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Don't know that I have a puller that big. Might have to bust out the welder and make something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page