post #1 of 9 Old 12-31-2016, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
Garage
Hydro oil color

I pulled maintenance the other night on my new pro machine. I tightened up the belts, checked the auger lube and then I removed the belly pan. I noticed 1 or 2 grease fittings in that area and the belly pan was wet with appeared oil from over lube or grease that melted on the chain which settled and 50% dried on the belly pan. It was across the lowest point of the pan, from left to right. I used WD40 to clean the pan 100% clean, as some areas would not just wipe up. It was dried. I have a low numbered machine so I figured this might have been put together a while ago.

It wasn't engine oil. It was a green colored oil that to me was the grease they used on the chain and sprocket. I wiped the transmission all the way around with a white paper towel and I carefully looked at all the seals and the tranny was dry.

So for future reference, does anyone know the color of the Hydro oil? They claim it's a sealed unit and no service is required for "my" life or the machines life.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited by Ariens hydro pro; 12-31-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-31-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Here is the link to Hydro gear RT-310 service and repair manual that Ariens uses in the snowblower.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/ab42aaac5e...les/rt-310.pdf

I was off today and decided to play with it some more. I removed the belly pan and belt cover. My intentions were to remove the fill plug to see what the fluid looks like. (For example the synthetic auger fluid is red in color).
Guess what? That transmission is so tucked in, there is no way to access the drain plug without just removing the unit from the snowblower. Plus there is only 1 grease point, on the right side.

Well anyway there is a plastic fan on the pulley that blows air onto the transmission to help keep it cool. It will be a good idea to run the engine wide open to help with keeping the tranny cool.

I still don't know the color of the tranny oil, but I'm reassured it's not leaking. The mess in the bottom of the belly pan was grease from the axle shaft and chain located on the right side grease fitting. Someone went crazy and really over filled the zerk fitting.

Bob
post #3 of 9 Old 01-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
..... (For example the synthetic auger fluid is red in color)....
While the original auger gear case fluid is a bright red, and Ariens used to sell the red coloured fluid up to last year the Ariens fluid is now clear. It is apparently the same oil as before but without the red colouring. This came to light when my Auger gear case seals were replaced and when I checked the oil level the oil was clear. My dealer assured me it is the current Ariens replacement oil.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 9 Old 01-01-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
While the original auger gear case fluid is a bright red, and Ariens used to sell the red coloured fluid up to last year the Ariens fluid is now clear. It is apparently the same oil as before but without the red colouring. This came to light when my Auger gear case seals were replaced and when I checked the oil level the oil was clear. My dealer assured me it is the current Ariens replacement oil.
Last year I purchased 3 bottles of Ariens synthetic oil. I opened 1 bottle and added a little to my machines. It was red in color. My new machine is a brand new model 926072, serial #127 and the oil in the auger differential is red in color.

When was your machine serviced?

Perhaps your dealer used another brand synthetic oil? Or my machine sat around long enough that the Ariens assembly line had old red colored synthetic oil available and used that to fill my auger differential.

Bob
post #5 of 9 Old 01-01-2017, 11:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
Most hydro transmissions just use engine oil. I am not familiar with this particular transmission but I can't see it being much different than the other lawn and garden machines I've serviced.

2017 Ariens 24 Platinum SHO
post #6 of 9 Old 01-01-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted3g View Post
Most hydro transmissions just use engine oil. I am not familiar with this particular transmission but I can't see it being much different than the other lawn and garden machines I've serviced.
Yes, I would assume that. Most likely is a yellow colored synthetic oil. My Cub Cadet lawn tractor uses 15W-50 synthetic and my Scag Tigercat uses 20W-50 regular oil in those hydro transmissions.

I use Royal Purple 30W synthetic engine oil in my lawn mowers and that is purple in color.
Ariens uses (at least in my machines) a red synthetic fluid in the auger differential.
Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 in Chevy truck and snowblowers.

Maybe they have a colored fluid? I wanted to remove the fill plug yesterday and inspect the level.

Well, that's not going to happen. That transmission is tucked into that space so tightly the only way to add oil is to remove it from the frame. Heck I could barely slip a finger on top of the unit.

They did a good job to fit it in there, that's for sure!

Bob
post #7 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 05:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
Last year I purchased 3 bottles of Ariens synthetic oil. I opened 1 bottle and added a little to my machines. It was red in color. My new machine is a brand new model 926072, serial #127 and the oil in the auger differential is red in color.

When was your machine serviced?

Perhaps your dealer used another brand synthetic oil? Or my machine sat around long enough that the Ariens assembly line had old red colored synthetic oil available and used that to fill my auger differential.
My Auger gear box seals were replaced October 2016. My dealer used a new bottle of the Ariens oil and it is clear. My last bottle of the Ariens oil to top up the low oil level was red. All the new replacement Ariens oil is clear because the manufacturer of the gear box/oil wants it that way. Any Ariens red auger gear box oil is old stock.

I trust my dealer to use the correct parts, especially as I questioned him about the colour.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #8 of 9 Old 01-02-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
My Auger gear box seals were replaced October 2016. My dealer used a new bottle of the Ariens oil and it is clear. My last bottle of the Ariens oil to top up the low oil level was red. All the new replacement Ariens oil is clear because the manufacturer of the gear box/oil wants it that way. Any Ariens red auger gear box oil is old stock.

I trust my dealer to use the correct parts, especially as I questioned him about the colour.
Thanks. This explains why I had to wipe up the belly pan of dried stuck on grease. My "new" machine sat around in plastic for some time before I received it.

Bob
post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
new link in case it got broken or site updating.

http://www.hydro-gear.com/33603cb8a4...les/rt-310.pdf

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page