$1500 budget ... best for throwing wet stuff? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
$1500 budget ... best for throwing wet stuff?

My Toro 1028 Powershift just died and I need something that can deal with wet and heavy snow. I just moved to Exeter, NH not too far from the coast. Frequently, the snowfall will be wet or heavy. I'd like something that does well with this. I don't need a wide cut so < 28" is ok. Buying new is my plan. Driveway is 200' long, paved, with sharp uphill pitch.

The Platinum 24 (921050) catches my eye since it has a beefy engine (369CC) with a small width. Not sure if going down to 24" wide is a mistake or not. It should throw the snow well though.

The Deluxe 28SHO is another option.

Would going to 24" be a mistake??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 397
Likes (Given): 182
Likes (Received): 928
Single-stage is much better for wet/slushy snow than 2-stage.
If most of your snowfalls are 6" or less, and slushy, a single-stage is much better.

they are generally smaller machines though..
you said your driveway is 200' long, but how wide?

People have also been saying good things about the new Toro "snowmaster" line this year:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...d-morning.html

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/sn...-724-qxe-36002

It has a single-stage style auger, which would probably also be better in slush than a traditional 2-stage.
Not much data on those snowmasters yet, since they are new this year..
but what conservations there has been on this forum seems to be positive.

scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 379
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
My Toro 1028 Powershift just died and I need something that can deal with wet and heavy snow. I just moved to Exeter, NH not too far from the coast. Frequently, the snowfall will be wet or heavy. I'd like something that does well with this. I don't need a wide cut so < 28" is ok. Buying new is my plan. Driveway is 200' long, paved, with sharp uphill pitch.

The Platinum 24 (921050) catches my eye since it has a beefy engine (369CC) with a small width. Not sure if going down to 24" wide is a mistake or not. It should throw the snow well though.

The Deluxe 28SHO is another option.

Would going to 24" be a mistake??
What is going to happen with that POWERSHIFT????????

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes cranman, detdrbuzzard liked this post
post #4 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 11:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
My thoughts exactly Powershift 93.....nothing on a powershift that can't be fixed. I'm guessing a valve job on the Briggs and it will be like new again.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
Yeah - why not just fix her up - even another engine your only in for About $400? Unless it' sway more gone that we think it is......

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

post #6 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 12:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
My thoughts exactly Powershift 93.....nothing on a powershift that can't be fixed. I'm guessing a valve job on the Briggs and it will be like new again.
[B]

(Moderator edit: Powershift said the 10hp version has a Tecumseh engine)

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sscotsman; 01-03-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Edited because of forum policy
post #7 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
My mistake Powershift........all the powershifts I've had were the 8 Briggs. I will say that they clogged with the wet stuff...I'd put an impeller kit in mine if I keep it.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 12:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
My mistake Powershift........all the powershifts I've had were the 8 Briggs. I will say that they clogged with the wet stuff...I'd put an impeller kit in mine if I keep it.
Yeah that they do, that is why I have "SR" he throws that heavy wet stuff better than any single stage in my hood.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 04:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Who be SR Powershift? Inquiring minds want to know!
post #10 of 22 Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
I have one of the ariens 921050 you speak of and so far it has handled the mild weather pa slop. The engine is plenty powerful and the autoturn has worked like a dream. I can't complain about anything other than the small gas tank and the junk factory spark plug. My previous machine had a 10hp tecumseh and I don't think I gave up any power with the new machine.

2017 Ariens 24 Platinum SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page