Is reverse on Professional 28 Hydro too slow? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Is reverse on Professional 28 Hydro too slow?

Looking to buy it but its not a variable Speed Hydrostatic reverse. I use reverse a lot but hear its too slow.

How do people like it?

Also looking at Toro 1028. Its so easy to turn and light feeling. Ariens feels like a tank. Not sure if Toro is too light?

Feedback is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2017, 02:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 308
I haven't used a Ariens pro hydro, but the friction disk Ariens pro I played with was painfully slow in reverse. That being said, I've never been satisfied with reverse on any machine ever lol.

I believe the Ariens has quite a few pounds on the toro, and a recent thread discusses adding a OEM weight kit to help with the really packed snow.

I made mention recently to Ariens moving the axle forward on new models and questioned the balance of the machine loosing bucket pressure. One guy assured the machine didn't suffer any negative effects from shifting the axle forward. I have my reservations still.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks drmerdp

What to buy:
Ariens Platinum 30 ( heavy tank) VS Toro 1028 (easy to move but too light in front??)

I need a drink
post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2017, 01:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 16
post #5 of 5 Old 01-10-2017, 03:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
Garage
My new Ariens Hydro is fine. It's the wheeled version.Only bad thing is you can't just walk it backwards if the tranny is engaged. You will need to pull the bypass lever at the bottom of the machine to wheel it around in manual.
I made a few simple movies on youtube showing myself walking it around doing the driveway and such.
It goes nearly 3 MPH wide open in forward. Somewhat slower in reverse but I think the backing up is acceptable. If it backs up to fast you could get run over.

I know the pro blows snow like crazy. It's engine still could be more powerful (but I do have the 36" bucket). The ends of the road piles are heavy and you still have to throttle the forward speed down some to keep the impeller wide open.

I'm very happy with my new machine. So far knock on wood no issues.
Here is a movie, others on my channel if you want to see the walking speed of the machine. I back up in areas too.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page