post #1 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
Garage
Extended Warranty

Anyone purchase the extended warranty for their blower. I looked into it today and they want $99.95 to extend it for 2 additional years.
I thought this was a fair deal so I updated my warranty online. I was thinking of the hydro tranny and if it starts leaking or fails to move in 5 years I covered. I don't care about the lights and stuff as I know they won't cover that.

Bob
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Tomatillo, jrom thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 82
Likes (Received): 29
Bob, your question is timely -- I've been thinking about extending the warranty, given problems some have reported about my model slowing down. It's a trans issue and could be expensive. Though it'll probably be covered by a TSB soon, why risk it? I'll tend to it this week.

Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
Anyone purchase the extended warranty for their blower. I looked into it today and they want $99.95 to extend it for 2 additional years.
I thought this was a fair deal so I updated my warranty online. I was thinking of the hydro tranny and if it starts leaking or fails to move in 5 years I covered. I don't care about the lights and stuff as I know they won't cover that.

Tom

2016 Honda HSS1332ATD = Former "Virginia Virgin," now "Commonwealth Clogger"
2017 John Deere Frontier SB2164 Loader Mount w/ HP2025 Hydraulic Power Pack
post #3 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Yea, I was reading about the Honda transmission issue. It's a different unit, but made by the same people. So that's exactly why I thought of doing the extra warranty.
I looked at my machine a week ago when I was checking things out. It's seems to be a bear to remove. The engine needs to come off the frame and things like that.
Too much for me if it's stops working or starts leaking.

Bob
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Tomatillo liked this post
post #4 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 04:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatillo View Post
Bob, your question is timely -- I've been thinking about extending the warranty, given problems some have reported about my model slowing down. It's a trans issue and could be expensive. Though it'll probably be covered by a TSB soon, why risk it? I'll tend to it this week.

Thanks for the reminder!

I just registered my blower and thought about the extended warranty. I agree, $100 for 2 year extended is pretty fair. Seems like every extended warranty I have bought has been a waste of money. I just purchased Ford's premium care warranty for our expedition. I had purchased it for our other vehicle and never used it. Problem is that today's vehicles, and everything else, has become way to complex for the average "gear head" to figure out and cure. I'm thinking about it!
post #5 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 05:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 269
I'd never go with an extended warranty on a snowblower unless I was using it for commercial purposes, meaning it was seeing a lot of use. If you purchase a good quality snowblower, meaning one from the big three- Ariens, Honda, or ::cough cough:: toro, and it gave you no issues during the time it was under regular warranty, chances are, you'll be fine. If you do end up with one that is giving you trouble, I'd probably sell it and get a different machine.

As for automotive extended warranties- I've found now a days most vehicles will be fine up to 100,000 miles, but after that- there's just no telling what will happen. No matter who made it. I've seen well maintained Toyota & Honda vehicles that everyone says will go 400,000+ miles blow an engine or transmission just after 100,000 miles and long after the warranty has expired. And I've seen POS Dodge cars, which have the worst reliability in the world go 200,000 miles before any major component failure. hit or miss.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 05:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 82
Likes (Received): 29
I normally don't, and didn't when the dealer offered it. For me, in Virginia, we haven't had snow yet. Some years we get hit with it where it will be half up my first floor windows. With the Siberian winter beast we saw happening in Russia, I put some things together in my old noggin and hedged my bets, and got this machine.

Now, this new machine floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee, on my blacktop of 50 degree (on January 15).

Who knows how things will shape up, and whether this thing will be used hard enough for the problems to really surface, as you rightly point out should happen within warranty.

Given what Bob said, and the expense and complexity of replacing a trans on this thing ..., ****, I'm in it for $3K+, what's another hundred bucks at this point?

(Blast! The forum won't let me use spirited language that includes the word h*ll. It's a place! It's a condition! It's ... expressive. Maybe I should have used "naughty-nether.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
I'd never go with an extended warranty on a snowblower unless I was using it for commercial purposes, meaning it was seeing a lot of use. If you purchase a good quality snowblower, meaning one from the big three- Ariens, Honda, or ::cough cough:: toro, and it gave you no issues during the time it was under regular warranty, chances are, you'll be fine. If you do end up with one that is giving you trouble, I'd probably sell it and get a different machine.

As for automotive extended warranties- I've found now a days most vehicles will be fine up to 100,000 miles, but after that- there's just no telling what will happen. No matter who made it. I've seen well maintained Toyota & Honda vehicles that everyone says will go 400,000+ miles blow an engine or transmission just after 100,000 miles and long after the warranty has expired. And I've seen POS Dodge cars, which have the worst reliability in the world go 200,000 miles before any major component failure. hit or miss.

Tom

2016 Honda HSS1332ATD = Former "Virginia Virgin," now "Commonwealth Clogger"
2017 John Deere Frontier SB2164 Loader Mount w/ HP2025 Hydraulic Power Pack
post #7 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 05:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 127
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 172
At that price you really can't go wrong. Historically Ariens would charge more for such coverage on their higher end machines. If they are charging the same $99. to extend the warranty for 2 years whether you have a Compact 22 or a Hydo Pro, sounds like a good deal to me (just in case).

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I don't care what anyone says about where it's made, I think the engine is a good one. If you change the oil and drain the gas out after the season and pull the cord with the choke on to make sure the carb is dry, that wont't give you any issues. Now the tranny?

That's my concern. Pull the bottom pan off and see how's it installed.

YIKES the $99.95 is a steal! They could be near $500 new, plus you install it.

Bob
post #9 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 09:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 15
I just spent $3200 for a LIFETIME unlimited mileage warranty for my wife's jeep.... good deal if you ask me

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

96 Mustang - Race car
2005 Mustang - Daily Driver
15 Grand Cherokee Altitude - Mall Crawler
2007 Anderson Open Deck 19ft Trailer
1998 828D John Deere
1996 828D John Deere
2015 D110 John deere
ST724 Ariens not sure of year
1978 Ariens 924000
1964 10ML60D
post #10 of 30 Old 01-15-2017, 09:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 269
You'll need it, Duff. Believe me. And it will pay off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page