post #1 of 22 Old 01-27-2017, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 53
Garage
New Ariens and 3 inches of slush

I have about 4 hours on my new pro 36 machine and Tuesday it rained and then turned colder but still mostly rain.
When I got up around noon time (I work nights) the driveway was covered and so were the sidewalks. I was hoping it would have been clean, but no dice.

So I tried the new machine and it marched thru the slush like like a trooper. No issues at all.

Thanks Ariens!

I spent a lot of hard earned cash and they built me a good blower. I couldn't be more pleased on the performance of this machine. I still feel a bigger engine could be had I'd would have got it, but it blows snow where it came from and blows slush like a 8HP machine blows snow.

We are having a crazy winter. They said wet and colder, well we got the wet but the temps are slightly above which I won't cry about.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-27-2017, 04:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1887
Likes (Received): 666
what engine did ariens put on your machine

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 22 Old 01-27-2017, 11:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 308
Good stuff.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 22 Old 01-27-2017, 01:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 463
Garage
The Ariens Pro 36 has a 420cc B&S engine, that must be close to 17 hp.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-27-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
It has the 420cc 21.0 torque engine.

If I go normal travel speed down the driveway and hit the heavy snow piles the engine will slow down some. But if you cut your travel speed a little and keep the engine wide open it goes thru the pile like it wasen't there.

It's a real good machine, but the bucket is wider and naturally your packing the snow into the impeller. Again, if they offered a 20HP engine it would be a true boss!

There are different conversion formulas on the net. 1 formula says 16.8 HP and the other says 14.39 HP.

I was hoping to never slow down my travel speed, but in reality you have to listen to the machine (any machine) and let it process the work.

The snow was real heavy (all that slush) and I did shovel the steps by hand. Wow that was tough to do. Thank GOD I have the Ariens to do my work!

Bob
post #6 of 22 Old 01-27-2017, 03:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
It has the 420cc 21.0 torque engine.

If I go normal travel speed down the driveway and hit the heavy snow piles the engine will slow down some. But if you cut your travel speed a little and keep the engine wide open it goes thru the pile like it wasen't there.
Are you sure the engine slows down? The governor senses any extra load by engine speed dropping and the governor opens the throttle almost instantly to recover to the governed speed (3600 +/- 100 rpm) as previously set. While the engine note changes to a much deeper sound the engine speed doesn't drop (perhaps momentarily it does).

When my machine encounters deeper or heavier snow the sound changes noticeably but the speed stays the same since the snow is thrown just as far. My machine has 414 cc and 20 ft lbs of torque so it is close to the Pro.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #7 of 22 Old 01-28-2017, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Are you sure the engine slows down? The governor senses any extra load by engine speed dropping and the governor opens the throttle almost instantly to recover to the governed speed (3600 +/- 100 rpm) as previously set. While the engine note changes to a much deeper sound the engine speed doesn't drop (perhaps momentarily it does).

When my machine encounters deeper or heavier snow the sound changes noticeably but the speed stays the same since the snow is thrown just as far. My machine has 414 cc and 20 ft lbs of torque so it is close to the Pro.

Good luck.
Yes the governor works fine. Once the governor can do no more the engine starts to bog down.
On my first movie I made you can see how I charge into the end of road pile and the engine bogs down some. No way of it stalling out just the RPM drops some. This happened on my first use taking the full width (36") at a pretty good clip.

I did this to see how strong the machine is and what I can get away with. "My learning curve".

Here it is watch the first minute or so as I approach the road the first time. (again the machine was brand new and I never used it before). Had around 7-8" (about 18" snow piles) and it was raining as I was cleaning the walks. I was afraid of freezing later in the evening so I went to clean everything at that moment.

Bob

Last edited by Ariens hydro pro; 01-28-2017 at 03:46 AM.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Yes the governor works fine. Once the governor can do no more the engine starts to bog down.
Yes, I can see there is not enough power to blow that much snow with a 36 inch wide bucket. Mine only has a 30 inch bucket so it doesn't slow down at that speed in those snow conditions. Good job on the video.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #9 of 22 Old 01-28-2017, 10:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
I have about 4 hours on my new pro 36 machine and Tuesday it rained and then turned colder but still mostly rain.
When I got up around noon time (I work nights) the driveway was covered and so were the sidewalks. I was hoping it would have been clean, but no dice.

So I tried the new machine and it marched thru the slush like like a trooper. No issues at all.

Thanks Ariens!

I spent a lot of hard earned cash and they built me a good blower. I couldn't be more pleased on the performance of this machine. I still feel a bigger engine could be had I'd would have got it, but it blows snow where it came from and blows slush like a 8HP machine blows snow.

We are having a crazy winter. They said wet and colder, well we got the wet but the temps are slightly above which I won't cry about.
I know exactly how you feel being a CT guy myself. I just got my 28" Platinum EFI 2 weeks before and had an itch. I was hoping the first time scratching it wouldn't be with slush but it was. I was beyond shocked that it was tossing it 20-30' with ease. MY old unit my Dad always forced me to use wouldn't have gone 6'.

2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - FOR SALE
2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, 54" blade, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart
2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - sold
post #10 of 22 Old 01-29-2017, 09:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 110
Has of today, 29, January, 2017, our Connecticut January temperature is about 6 degrees above normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page