LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-28-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Shear Pin Breakage Frequency

Hello all just interested in any feedback as I've seen some reports out there about frequent and sometimes mysterious shear pin breakage on Ariens machines. I had a previous non-Ariens machine that never broke a shear pin and on occasion did get some gravel from the drive (1- 1.25"?) into the system which it handled. Make sure to clear larger hazards before a snow. Thinking about an Ariens compared to a Toro that apparently doesn't need shear pins - can the Arien's handle the occasional piece of gravel or will I be constantly replacing them? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-28-2017, 05:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
I've never owned a "newer" Ariens, but my ST 8-24 has never broken a shear pin in 12 years.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-28-2017, 05:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
I'd say if you are breaking pins in any blower...you are swallowing S**t you shouldn't. That said, I just replaced 6 shearpins in a newer MTD manufactured blower that only tried to blow an area of pea stone. Better then trying to replace that piece of S**t gear box though.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-28-2017, 05:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Received): 31
Going to depend on your area and habits. If you're diligent about clearing and don't have a bunch of loose asphalt or rocks you'll probably never break one. On the other hand if your drive is a mess or you let areas turn into packed ice you'll break them left right and center.

Toro uses grade 5 bolts. Its not a classic "shear" pin but they still serve the same purpose. If you hit an obstruction you'll still either break that bolt or bend your rake so its misleading to think a Toro doesn't have the same function. Toro builds the better gear box (steel vs brass-and they never leak) but Ariens has better quality rakes with zerks for grease to prevent them from rusting in place.

Last edited by SnoThro; 01-28-2017 at 06:11 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-28-2017, 06:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 75
Three points here. First and foremost, I can see numerous criteria for selecting one snow thrower versus another but couldn't imagine shear pins (costing $2) to be on that list. Consider changing your question to "Why should I buy one Ariens instead of a similar Toro".

Second, consider a shear pin to be like a circuit breaker. Would you consider a circuit breaker that trips often to be better than one that doesn't?

Beyond that, there are countless reasons why a shear pin breaks including many having nothing to do with either the shear pin or the snow thrower.

Last edited by Tony P.; 01-28-2017 at 06:14 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-28-2017, 06:13 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 424
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
havent heard of this issue with ariens products. i use both my vintage ariens and my " low quality" ariens sno tek on my gravel drive, have yet to break a pin. i do rake about a half wheel barrow load of gravel off my lawn every spring.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-28-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the input. No ice or big rocks -hopefully! Had seen a few concerns but maybe they are running into more serious objects. Odd piece of 1" gravel here but sounding like it can handle it. Just do not want to be replacing them each time or multiple times I head out and want to get a suitable machine for the situation that will run smoothly.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 43
I would be more comfortable with actual shear pins than grade 5 bolts, because it would might "egg" the holes in the auger tube before they shear, I have experienced that, especially if the bolts are 5/16". Maybe those 1/4" ones that are on some smaller machines might break easier. Not much worse than SB repairs a few hundred feet from your garage.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #9 of 23 Old 01-29-2017, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
In 32 years of snowblowing I have never broken a shear pin yet on my ariens
Made confetti from newspapers a few times. I grease the augers and spin em on the shaft every year.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-29-2017, 10:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Received): 110
Well BearGhost, you have me beat. In the 32 years that I have been using my 1971 Ariens machine, I think I have only broken one that I can remember.

And a theory of mine is... if you have a machine with serrated augers, I would think that you would break a shear pin bolt a little bit easier because the augers would get caught and grab on to objects a lot easier.

I know the other side of the coin would be that they probably slice and dice up snow chunks better, but I have never had any problems with a non serrated auger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGhost View Post
In 32 years of snowblowing I have never broken a shear pin yet on my ariens
Made confetti from newspapers a few times. I grease the augers and spin em on the shaft every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page