post #1 of 23 Old 01-30-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 1028 with wobbly Impeller

Hello .

I am new to the form, so will provide as much info as I can. I have happily owned the 1028 for ~13 years. Works great on the heavy NL wet snow. I have done all my own maintenance over the years however it basically consisted on changing belts and other minor adjustments.

this issue is bigger and I'm not sure how to attack it yet.

This past storm, my 1028 ate a shrub and I have encountered some serious wobble/motion in the impeller since. I noticed when the auger was engaged, the blower worked fine, but once I released the auger handle, the impeller never stopped but instead continued to rotate and made loud grinding awful noises as it scraped along the inside on the blower/funnel.

Obviously something nasty was going on and the break for the auger was no longer functioning either.

I had a look at the belts and did notice that the belt finger guide on the left side of the blower had actually cracked off and fell to the bottom of the blower.

The auger break and belt pulley worked fine however the impeller and attached belt drive assembly were very loose and in fact it would wobble away from the auger belt brake and therefore wouldn't stop rotating.

the impeller blade edges are all shiny and worn down from impacting the inside of the blower funnel.

So, the impeller is extremely loose, causing damage to the impeller blades and the blower in general. Not sure if its related to the belt finger/guide breaking as well, or just a by product.

Any advice or where to start would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 469
Likes (Received): 816
Most likely needs the Impeller Bearing Replaced. Grab the impeller shaft, and if you can wiggle it, it needs a bearing. Common for a 10+ year old Blower.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #3 of 23 Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 298
Agree with Jack... Not sure what year yours is, but guessing about 2004 from you description.

parts list is here

apache.ariens.com/manuals/02497100D.pdf

Take a look at this video for a general idea how to do the job. Not exactly your machine, but the same general idea.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im5pU1yMiYQ

While you are at it, I would check all the other bearings as well, since they are the same age and subject to the odd shrub and newspaper. Good news is Ariens parts are usually not difficult to get.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 01-30-2017 at 09:44 AM.
post #4 of 23 Old 01-30-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Great video -thanks. It sure sounds like the bearings. I will take the unit apart and have a look. Not sure why the belt/guide finger broke, but likely related to the same issue.

thanks again.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-30-2017, 02:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieb View Post
Great video -thanks. It sure sounds like the bearings. I will take the unit apart and have a look. Not sure why the belt/guide finger broke, but likely related to the same issue.

thanks again.
Not sure what you mean by belt guide/finger.. are you referring to the belt keeper, near the engine pulley which is supposed to keep the belt on the upper pulley and prevent it from being tossed off when the belt is slack, or is it part of the idler pulley/brake bracket you are referring to?

You might want to post some pictures to photobucket and put the links in your next message so other can see the parts you are talking about. You have to do the photobucket thing until you have some minimum number of posts here after which you can post photos directly into the forum asl long as you use the full message editor, which has an attachment icon. The lite editor doesn't (least I don't think it does, havent used it in a long time

Work fascinates me.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-30-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...pskybku2ij.jpg

Item 43 is what snapped off. It is the belt keeper.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...pskybku2ij.jpg

Item 43 is what snapped off. It is the belt keeper.
Hmm, is the mounting hole on the block damaged? Did you find the bolt that holds it? If so, is it bent?Any gashes or wear showing on the belt keeper? Where did the keeper break?

Those things are supposed to be about 1/16" from the belt in normal operation, (your measurement may vary) so there is no room for the belt to come off the engine pulley, but no serious rubbing of the belt against the keeper either.

Is it possible that you forgot to tighten it up last time you changed the belts? If so, vibration could have shaken it loose and it could have ended up in amongst the drive train. Guess its a question of what happened first.

Work fascinates me.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-30-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The bolt was still firmly attached. the keeper broke right at the connection with the nut. there is some scarring on the outside of the drive belt for sure. Also the belt is drum tight, i.e., it will be difficult to replace, although I haven't given it a good look over yet. Still trying to get the bearings out. They are shot for sure, but I need to get a gear puller to get them out.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
The bolt was still firmly attached. the keeper broke right at the connection with the nut. there is some scarring on the outside of the drive belt for sure. Also the belt is drum tight, i.e., it will be difficult to replace, although I haven't given it a good look over yet. Still trying to get the bearings out. They are shot for sure, but I need to get a gear puller to get them out.
The front belt is the auger belt and it shouldn't be too tight. I should be riding loose on the front pulley and only tighten up when you engage the auger lever. Once you get that bearing off (maybe try heating it up some) and you get a new one in there, things should line up properly again and the correct belt should go on pretty easily. If not, then something is holding up the parade and needs to be found and fixed.

Be careful that the brake pad on end of the idler pulley bracket is not sitting between the belt and the pulley, it should be contacting the back of the belt when its all back together. If that brake is between the belt and the pulley, that could cause the belt to be tight, and will tear up the belt as well. Maybe post some more pictures of where you are as well as to make sure you have pics of how it is so when you put it back together you have references.

Work fascinates me.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-01-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just to clarify, it was the traction drive belt that was tight, not the auger belt. I have changes it now, so should be fine. Wow, removing the hub was not what I expected. After letting it stew in penetrating oil for a couple days, I tried a 3 fingered gear puller to remove the hub. Results attached. looks like $50 for a new hub and try to get someone with a torch to cut off the old.... and then onto the bearings....
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii551/bernieb7/IMG_20170201_065153_zpsg9yldy6o.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page