LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 01-31-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 110
Tracking With A 910995 Ariens

As a lot of you probably know, I have a 1971 Ariens 910995 Sno Thro.

During the last snow fall of the 2015-2016 season, the bucket on my machine lifted and I think... the handle bars might have hit the ground or came close to hitting to ground. I am not sure. (The one time I wanted to chute a photo of the throwing distance... SOAB) When I picked up the machine, she proceeded to move forward in a... unsteady forward movement with a tracking of going to the left and then to the right in a zig zag like pattern. I have no... idea what happened.

Over the summer during the maintenance procedure, I looked all underneath to see if something bent, broke or something. With knowing too much about the underneath, I could not figure or find out anything.

When I started her up this season she was doing the same thing. I did end up bringing her to a dealer at the beginning of January. The tech said that he made some major adjustments to her and did end up changing the original friction disc (which I provided) and that he saw nothing wrong with her. He did tell me that the machine will go to the left when I use her in the differential (out) position. Now I have used this machine in the out position for 32 years and my machine never wandered either to the left or to the right. When I finally got to her about a week later after picking her up, she did the same... thing. How in the world does a tech miss this zig zag tracking after being told about it?

When I called to ask him about what was done to her, I was told pretty much the same... thing about in the out position and her going to the left and... it didn't fly with me. He said to try it during the next storm and see how it works in the snow. Like that would change anything? I am sure that you all know what I was thinking in my head. But in fairness, he did say to give him a call and let him know.

So... here is the BIG... question to all of the 910995 owners who are really knowledgeable on these machines ... Does any one have any clue on what might have happened, what might have changed broke or what could be wrong?

If this helps, when... you put the differential in the (in) position, she will zig zag for a second or two and then start to track straight... like the differential needs time to lock in. The tech did mention that the only thing under there that might or could cause this is the differential gear. (Yes/no)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-31-2017, 05:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 469
Likes (Received): 816
Sounds like You need a new differential. Easy to install, Remove Pan bolts, Pin in Differential control, and Roll pin in axle. Slide axle out until Diff drops out. R+R. I have diffs available if you need one, $25. Pm if interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page