LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 19
About to buy Ariens 926LE but...

I'm going to look at a 2009 Ariens 926LE with a 9.5 Briggs & Stratton engine. It looks to be in decent shape from what I can tell, nothing a can of matching orange paint can't fix but there's a catch, it doesn't start. When the cord is pulled you just hear a tick and it doesn't recoil, the seller says. Either a spring or something simple, perhaps a whole new starting coil maybe?

Price is negotiable, currently $250, but it seems like a great fixer-upper machine to try out myself and give to my brother or grandfather when I'm done.

Thoughts/Opinions, any other things to be wary of on this model/year?

YAMAHA YS624 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 02:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 462
Garage
Are you saying you pull the cord and the cord stays out? How are you getting it back in again, by using your fingers on the starter recoil disk? Is the ticking coming from the recoil? If it's not from the engine it's a good deal, not a great deal. You can remove the starter assembly and see what's wrong, also this gives you the opportunity to wrap a cord around the crankshaft and try to start it. Spray some ether in the carb.

Doesn't it have an electric starter?
post #3 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 02:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Did you try the elec start and did you move the augers to make the gear box was working.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #4 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, the cord stays out. How he got it back in I don't know nor did I ask. The only mention in the ad is that it needs a new starter though if it's something simple I'm sure it could be fixed. Based on the listing, text message of known problem and photo, it does not have an electric start. He bought a new Ariens rather than dealing with fixing this one as he didn't have the time nor interest in dealing with an older machine.

As for price, we're talking CAD here. This machine sold for $1800+tax locally when new, they don't give away snowblowers here for a song and a dance like you can get south of the boarder.

YAMAHA YS624 |
|
post #5 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ariens View Post
Did you try the elec start and did you move the augers to make the gear box was working.
Haven't put my hands on it yet, earliest he's available is tomorrow evening.

Just trying to get a feel from everyone about this particular machine. Aside from the starting issue, is it considered reliable and trouble free or the black sheep among Ariens models. Everything I've read so far it seems fairly neutral.

YAMAHA YS624 |
|
post #6 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 147
Likes (Received): 297
I'm rebuilding a 1027LE which is very similar, From searching about the 1027 a lot of info on the 926, The biggest issue was the auger pulley had issues eating belts but there was a few fixes and Ariens came out with a double pulley kit to fix the issue using two belts, I have one on order because the 1027 uses the same pulley. Amazingly the kit is only $55 and comes with all the parts, I could barely just buy the pulley for that price and I get new belts too. (I had to cut the pulley off to remove it)
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...riens/72600700
post #7 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I have a 926LE. Great machine if maintained. I eventually changed the gear box after hitting too many papers and such here but that was after 12 years and a bag or so of pins. My auger never ate the belts and is still at one belt. I am converting it to auto turn next week if the parts show up.

I find the electric start sometimes loosens up and can be confused for failing to work.
post #8 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 147
Likes (Received): 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbeskm View Post
I have a 926LE. Great machine if maintained. I eventually changed the gear box after hitting too many papers and such here but that was after 12 years and a bag or so of pins. My auger never ate the belts and is still at one belt. I am converting it to auto turn next week if the parts show up.

I find the electric start sometimes loosens up and can be confused for failing to work.
Keep us posted on how the auto turn works out on it, they make a kit for the 1027LE also and I've been debating it. Gotta get the rebuild finished first though.
post #9 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbeskm View Post
I have a 926LE. Great machine if maintained... My auger never ate the belts and is still at one belt.

Thanks for the info!

I'm most likely going to buy it once I check it I over tomorrow, assuming it fits in a Honda Element, lol. If I can get it anywhere near $200 I think it's a great deal, add on $20 in paint and $60 in parts. It was serviced at the original dealer since new so I don't expect too many surprises. Belts were replaced last year as well.

I could be mistaken but I don't believe the B&S had dual impeller/auger shaft pulleys or was that a later implementation?

No electric start on this machine either, from what I gather. It may have had it when new but it's no where in sight in the photos.

YAMAHA YS624 |
|
post #10 of 37 Old 02-02-2017, 11:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 192
Garage
From your first picture it MOST DEFINITELY shows a 120volt starter. It is located underneath the fuel tank. Plug in an extension cord , put throttle half way, full choke, two pumps from primer and hit the RED BUTTON on the side of the starter. Hopefully it will fire up for you.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 28" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page