LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-08-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Deluxe 30 First Oil Change

I got a Ariens 30 Deluxe this year. Went to go do the first oil change after 5-10 hours of use and for the life of me cannot figure out how I am supposed to get the drain cap off the drain tube. The tube is far too short to get any wrench or vice grip on to hold while I twist the drain cap off. I figure I can just twist off the whole tube out of the engine block but would prefer not to do that. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this cap off? Pictures of the oil tube and cap below also a link to the model in question. Thanks.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Ariens 921032 Snow Blower - Consumer Reports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-08-2017, 08:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 62
Looks like you're trying to use the flat area on the tube. Forget about that and move closer to the drain cap. Looks like you can get vicegrips on that with the jaws pointing towards the frame. If needed, the "needle nose vicegrips" might slide under the tube with their other jaw on top of the tube to hold the tube securely, then put a wrench on the cap.

Last edited by CO Snow; 02-08-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Town liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 02-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 463
Garage
Can you put a screwdriver under the pipe and raise it a little to allow you to unscrew the cap?

What I would do, unscrew the whole tube and replace it with a longer one to avoid this problem again.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-08-2017, 10:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 298
You can get those tubes from a decent hardware or plumbing supply place. Bring the old one with you to make sure you get the right threads. I think the newer engines use some metric version and you don't want to try and stick an NPT thread in a metric hole in the block.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #5 of 12 Old 02-08-2017, 11:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
Very poor design by mfgs. Sounds like the engine and snowblower mfgs. never spoke to each other until the final assembly.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
My 926LE is very similar. Since I usually change the oil at the end of a season (fuel tank is empty), I just tilt the whole unit back and attempt to loosen the drain cap. if the whole tube starts turning, so be it, the tilted back angle prevents too much of a mess from the oil coming right out of the block vs the drain tube.

I think one could adapt something like the Briggs quick change oil setups (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-St...401K/205448589), but Ive never bothered.

Last edited by chrisexv6; 02-09-2017 at 10:51 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 11:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 19
Keep in mind that while you want to drain for the first few changes to get break in wear particles out. After that I would use a vaccum oil changer that I use on our inboard boat and most of my 4 stroke equipment. Fast and no mess.

1998 Toro 3000 GTS with Suzuki 47p 2 cycle
post #8 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Snow View Post
Looks like you're trying to use the flat area on the tube. Forget about that and move closer to the drain cap. Looks like you can get vicegrips on that with the jaws pointing towards the frame. If needed, the "needle nose vicegrips" might slide under the tube with their other jaw on top of the tube to hold the tube securely, then put a wrench on the cap.
I agree. My oil drain tube has the flats in the same inaccessible place. I used a locking pliers to hold the tube and a wrench to remove the cap. After the first oil change I put a small O ring down inside the cap which seals it to the tube end with low torque required. No leaks in 3 years and cap is easy to remove and replace without a locking pliers now.

Lifting the bucket a little will help remove more old oil. Easy no mess oil changes.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #9 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 02:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Very poor design by mfgs. Sounds like the engine and snowblower mfgs. never spoke to each other until the final assembly.
I very highly doubt Ariens has much to say about the engine other than where they want their decals and what shaft size they need. The rest of the "features" are standard to reduce cost, it wouldn't be possible to foresee every installation issue that the end manufacturer has and it's their responsibility to design around it. LCT supplies a "package" and Ariens fits that package on their frame.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-09-2017, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 18
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Can you put a screwdriver under the pipe and raise it a little to allow you to unscrew the cap?

What I would do, unscrew the whole tube and replace it with a longer one to avoid this problem again.
That's what I did...

Ariens Platinum 30 SHO- AX414, 20.0 lb.ft torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in