post #1 of 6 Old 02-09-2017, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New To This Forum - 2003 924122

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself, and pay homage to Ariens. I originally had a very old Ariens that finally needed repowering, and after I started that project I hurt my back, so I decided to take the plunge and buy a new Ariens way back in 2003. I did a lot of research and found at the time that the Home Depot models were all aluminum gearcases, and the cast iron cases were only available at "dealers", so thats where I decided to buy mine. I got it at a John Deere dealer, and the folks there were very nice. I purchased a 924122 which is a 24" cut with an 11.5 hp Tecumseh Snow King engine. I added the Ariens Cab to keep from getting a bath when the wind decides to blow back in my face, and you can't beat the heated hand grips for being able to work without having to wear gloves. This machine has served me very well over the past 14 years, where it has seen some very heavy use.

I decided on the 24" cut so that maneuvering in tight spots and clearing sidewalks is easy, and with the "commercial" model that included the axle lock and the CI gearcase, it is very robust!

Well, after 14 years of use I am finally going to be replacing the belts for the first time! The drive chain and idler is worn out so they will be replaced too. The drive disc is still working, but I think I'm going to replace it while I'm in there, just for good measure. When I popped the belly pan today, there was a fair amount of "blackness" in there along with some oil which was just some of the grease runoff. The chain idler roller was laying in the bottom of the pan and the chain itself is quite loose and worn out, so that's on the parts list too. Not bad at all for 14 years of use!

The engine has never let me down, and it gets nothing but fresh 5W-30 synthetic oil every season. Every time I shut it down for the day, I turn off the fuel valve and run the carb out of fuel. I've only ever had the carb off of it once, because one time I forget to run it dry, and after sitting for a while the carb gummed up a bit. Never had that problem again, in fact last year I didn't have the occasion to use the blower (not much snow at all) so it sat a whole year with fuel in the tank. I dumped it out today, changed the oil, greased the fittings, adjusted the drive, filled the gas tank with fresh fuel, and she fired right up without missing a beat, as always! We are getting a storm tonight and into tomorrow, so the belts and so on will have to wait, but I'll just go easy on it and I should be just fine.

I am absolutely blown away at the performance and service this machine has given me over the years, and I will continue to service it and keep it in tip top shape for many more years to come. I've never had any issues with the disc drive system, and in fact I also have a Snapper RER mower that has a disc drive as well, and same thing there: never a problem, and I've run that thing for just as many years as the blower. I'm doing a repower on the Snapper, going from the original 8hp to a 12.5hp Briggs, and will fit it with a new disc when I install the engine in the spring of this year. (No more bogging down in heavier grass!)

With reference to drive systems, Hydros are nice, but the drawback is that if and when they fail, it turns into a money pit to fix, especially if you can't do the work yourself.

The only shortcoming I have with my Ariens is that the handle height is a bit too low for me. I'd prefer the handgrips to be a few inches higher because it would make it easier on my back. I'm considering which approach to take: Rework the handles, or installing taller tires. I think the taller tires would be the best approach as I don't want to start modifying the handlebars, and if the back of the machine was slightly higher it would help the incidence angle as I have the skids raised a bit to keep from picking up debris like gravel from the crappy driveway I have to deal at least until I move to another home (landlord refuses to pave it).

Didn't mean to ramble, but I love my Ariens AMERICAN-MADE quality, and I wouldn't even think of considering anything else! I've worked on others, including some Honda's, and even though they are nice, they're still not an Ariens!

Regards,
GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2017, 03:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1379
ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1882
Likes (Received): 663
hello GT, welcome to SBF

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Snow is still falling here in the North East and we're at about a foot right now. Guess my Ariens is gonna get a workout tonight! Good thing I got her prepared yesterday, and God Bless the cab and those hand warmers!

Blow On!
post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2017, 04:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 133
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 286
Likes (Received): 146
Hello GT & a big WELCOME ABOARD from The Great Lakes!

Nice intro!!

Go left.....No, your other left!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, it's 11:30pm and I just came in from running the wheels off my Ariens! Cleared out about 12 inches on average, more where a plow truck left a pile (I live on a dead end street). As usual my Ariens performed flawlessly. Had to replace one shear pin as my neighbor likes to use rocks to hold the lids of his garbage pails down, and sure enough .........

Anyway it was a long night and thanks to my awesome Ariens it came through yet again. That cab is so nice in that it keeps the weather off me, especially when the wind kicks up, and tonight it really was a bugger, constantly blowing right back at me!

Night Gracie!

GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page