RIGHT wheel not turning/can stop with my hand (?) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-10-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
RIGHT wheel not turning/can stop with my hand (?)

Hello!

I did try searching the forum & got way too many results (500) with too many not relevant to my problem. Not even sure I have a problem - but discovered this "issue" after a hefty snow fall, one that do not recall having when using the unit previously.

I have an Ariens Deluxe 28, 921022. No wheel pins, I have the remote wheel lock lever.

I noticed that as I used the unit, it kept stopping, getting stuck anytime it encountered any resistance - and I mean ANY. I would have to push the unit really hard to get it to move - and when I looked down, I noticed the left wheel spinning furiously while the right wheel is sitting perfectly still. I seem to recall this snowblower being two-wheel drive.

I noticed if I lifted up the unit to raise the wheels off the ground, the right wheel would seem to "catch" & start to spin but at a much slower rate than the left. Not only that, I could stop the wheel entirely with my foot or hand, and even get it to turn in the opposite direction while the left is going a million miles an hour in forward gear.

Given the incredible difficulty I was having in operating this snowblower when I don't ever recall having this much difficulty before, even in worse snowstorms) I am wondering if something is wrong with the drive.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-10-2017, 05:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
I have the same model. I assume you are behind the blower in the operating position when you refer to the "right" wheel. The left wheel is engaged/disengaged with the squeeze handle under the left hand grip. The right wheel should be engaged all the time. It's time to tip it up into the service position and pull off the belly pan and see what's going on. Once you do that, try turning the right wheel and see what's up.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks MASH thanked for this post
Likes MASH liked this post
post #3 of 12 Old 02-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
Did you ever have the right wheel off for service? The wheel itself is keyed to the shaft, that could be missing. The internal sprocket (inside belly pan) that side is also keyed to the shaft. As CO snow said, look inside the belly pan and turn the wheel by hand. If you can get the wheel to spin without the shaft the wheel key is missing or broken. If the wheel makes the shaft turn and you can stop the sprocket, that key is broken or missing.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks MASH thanked for this post
post #4 of 12 Old 02-10-2017, 11:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
Do you use the trigger lock regularly? The reason I ask is that if you don't, perhaps you accidentally unlocked the right wheel?

Try engaging the lock (squeezing the trigger and releasing) while at the same time moving the machine forward and moving left and right slightly. You will feel if/when the wheel locks.

This design is so you can disengage the lock and pivot the machine 180 degrees (at end of drive way for example), then re-engage the lock and continue blowing. Pivoting the machine 180 is difficult with both wheels locked, but with one wheel not locked, the machine is useless blowing snow. So if the mechanism brakes, it sucks.

I have the same mechanism on my deluxe 27. The trigger lock cable stretched on mine and I had to replace it. It was a pain in the neck to replace and adjust.

Now I just keep it locked all the time. It takes a bit more muscle to spin the machine around but it's not too bad with power to the wheels. I don't want to risk stretching the cable again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
post #5 of 12 Old 02-11-2017, 01:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 146
Likes (Received): 297
I have that option on a 1027le that I'm in the process of rebuilding, The only wheel that should be free is the left when standing behind it, as said above it sounds like the key may be missing or broken, I personally have all new bushings and a new spring as mine isn't working as it should.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-11-2017, 05:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
Sounds Ugly,,,And expensive.....Is it for sale?? Jay
post #7 of 12 Old 02-11-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Snow View Post
I have the same model. I assume you are behind the blower in the operating position when you refer to the "right" wheel. The left wheel is engaged/disengaged with the squeeze handle under the left hand grip. The right wheel should be engaged all the time. It's time to tip it up into the service position and pull off the belly pan and see what's going on. Once you do that, try turning the right wheel and see what's up.
Thanks man! Yes, right wheel when I am in the operating position. And yes, if I lift up the unit & apply the remote wheel lock, the left wheel does stop & the right wheel turns, but again - I can stop it with my foot. That seems very odd; don't think I should be able to do that. The snowblower always wants to go right because that right wheel just has no power. I sent an email to Ariens; awaiting a response. Maybe they can at least tell me what they think is wrong so I know what to look for, assuming there is something wrong.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-11-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzAuto1 View Post
Sounds Ugly,,,And expensive.....Is it for sale?? Jay

Not for sale. It's only 3 years old. I'll be fixing it.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-11-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Did you ever have the right wheel off for service? The wheel itself is keyed to the shaft, that could be missing. The internal sprocket (inside belly pan) that side is also keyed to the shaft. As CO snow said, look inside the belly pan and turn the wheel by hand. If you can get the wheel to spin without the shaft the wheel key is missing or broken. If the wheel makes the shaft turn and you can stop the sprocket, that key is broken or missing.
Guys - you are AWESOME! I did have the wheel off - I replaced it because my dog (a very aggressively playful German shepherd) sees any tire & thinks "TOY!" He punctured the tire & HD didn't have replacement tires, so I bought the entire wheel. He bit the sidewall so can't patch it. I did order two new tires & will be putting the new one on the original wheel. Will check for the key. I don't remember any parts falling off - I was careful to put everything back on; obviously I missed something.

Thanks again!!
post #10 of 12 Old 02-11-2017, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
HeyMASH, That is an excellent machine. I've owned one before, Well worth fixing. Tha part is small and easily overlooked. But It's a great time to put grease on the axles so the wheels don't freeze to the axles. It also helps keep the key in place while the wheel is being installed. GLuck, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page