Ariens Model-926002 changed impeller belt, still squeals when engaging.... - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Model-926002 changed impeller belt, still squeals when engaging....

I have an Ariens Model 926002- 11528LE snowblower. Awesome, powerful machine. Here's the problem/question... Whenever the machine enters heavy wet, end of the driveway snow where the street plows put snow, the impeller belt squeals pretty bad. So I thought... why not replace the belt, I haven't changed it for like 6 years so I bought a new Sterns 07200623 Impeller Belt. So I ripped apart the snowblower, replaced the impeller belt but I'm still getting the initial squeal when engaging the auger/impeller. Any thoughts on the noise I'm getting? I was thinking maybe I didn't have to change the belt but it doesn't hurt. Thanks guys! Great Forum.
Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 30
Likes (Received): 43
Most belts squeal because they are loose. Check the idler pulley and spring, and check to see if the pulleys are aligned.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
post #3 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 09:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 460
Garage
Lubricate the idler pulley, maybe that is causing the noise. I'd also measure the Stens belt to ensure it's the same length as the original. You may want to lightly sand the pulley.
post #4 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1382
There is always going to be some noise when you engage the belt. because you are going from zero to 3000 some odd rpms in less than a New York minute. anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
The belt slipping was a problem on the 926 series and Ariens produces a kit to modify the machine to dual auger drive belts. They also had problems with water seeping past the belt cover and have a kit for that as well.
post #6 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
[QUOTE=POWERSHIFT93;1188426]There is always going to be some noise when you engage the belt. because you are going from zero to 3000 some odd rpms in less than a New York minute. [/QUOTE]

I guess I'm going to have to challenge you on this one. I have been using snowblowers for several decades, and I have NEVER had a single snowblower belt make any noise in all of those years.

One possibility for OPs noise could be a bearing, but since OP just replaced the belt, I would guess that it is more likely caused by the new belt being a bit loose and adjustment will quiet it down to being as quiet as my belts.

Just my $0.02
post #7 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Wow, these are all great suggestions. The pulley slot has three positions. One position makes the auger spin all the time regardless of me engaging it so I know that is not the right hole. So I ran the pulley bolt through the center hole. I used a heavy duty crayon on the belt and pulley to see if the noise would go away. It didn't... SO... I tried spraying a bit of belt dressing on the lower large pulley that the impeller belt goes onto, maybe the impeller pulley , anyway, when doing that the noise of the belt squealing at engagement, went away. However, a short time after the dressing wore off the initial belt squeal came right back again. I lubricated everything, checked the areas mentioned in the above replies to my forum, however I can't seem to figure it out. Regardless of the previous belt that was on there, I have the owners manual which clearly states what belt needs to go on there so I don't believe I have the wrong size belt as the previous belt made the same initial start up noise and engagement. I will research the kit someone suggested.... I have a feeling the modified kit resolves this issue, an older MTD blower I had years ago had 2 auger/impeller belts... not one as this Ariens does. Poor design in my opinion, otherwise machine is a beast, heavy as **** to muscle around too!! Thanks to all!!
post #8 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
What do you mean pulleys are aligned?
post #9 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by awbooth View Post
What do you mean pulleys are aligned?
The two pulleys are in the same plane, so when the idler pulley applies some tension on the belt, it lines up straight from one pulley to the other - i.e. no bend in the belt.
post #10 of 38 Old 02-11-2017, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I would like to add that when I put the bolt through one of the three positions of the pulley, this is the tightest position where even when I didn't engage the auger the auger was spinning, there was no squeal so what Im trying to say is the only way to get rid of the squeal is to position the pulley in a dangerous position where the auger always spins. Nightmare. Does that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page