LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Can't punch out broken shear bolt

I've been blowing with an 1128 for 7 or 8 years on a gravel driveway. I haven't broken a bolt in years, but this year I'm breaking them left and right. I made the mistake of buying a couple shear bolts at Paris Farmers Union - the were grooved but seemed like just white metal. Of course it instantly broke again and now I can't punch the thing out for the life of me. It's in my garage, well lit, holes should be lined up but it sounds and feels like I'm punching on a bench mounted vice. And the more I punch, the more scarred the shaft is getting so now I can't even tell where the **** broken bolt is.

Questions:
Are the shear bolt holes lined up exactly on both augers?
If I'm certain things are lined up, should I be more aggressive with the flat end punch and 4 pound hammer?

Thank you. Just got another 8 inches and two feet coming tomorrow (NH).

Edit: Thank you for all the replies (especially the fellow who said "you don't have it lined up" - that was the my issue, undoubtedly).

I got home after work and it took all of 45 seconds to punch it out. Maybe it was because I had some daylight instead of a headlamp, who knows. All cleared out ready for the storm they call Orson.

It is a wonderful thing to be at peace with your machines.

Last edited by takba; 02-11-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: problem solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 460
Garage
Not that you can do something about it now except on the good one, you should always grease your shear pins, preferably with synthetic grease and they should be removed and reinstalled annually.

If you have 2 shear pins on the same side they will be lined up. If you have 1 shear pin on each auger they will not be lined up. Maybe about a 1/4 off. Plus the auger should slide a little sideways. You don't have it lined up. You also want to use a punch the same size as your shear pin, 1/4" or 5/16". I would turn the impeller so the shear pin faces the front but a little down angle. It will be easier for you to see it and get the most power. A long punch might be easier and keep in mind the punch may get wider.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks takba thanked for this post
post #3 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 308
If you are scaring up the one side you
Might want to switch to the other side and take extra caution. Spin the impeller over until your looking at the other side of the auger shaft. Line up the auger blade carefully and try to start with a center punch as dead middle of the bolt as possible. If you drill a hole to start then use a smaller diameter punch the sheared over metal that's keeping it stuck in place should deform right back straight and come out.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks takba thanked for this post
Likes gsnod liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4358
Likes (Received): 1741
Garage
to SBF takba

If you have the auger's hole lined up with the shaft's hole it shouldn't take much to knock the remains out of the shaft. If it had been in there for years we could be talking about you fighting a seized with rust bolt but it sounds like it hasn't been but month(s) since you replaced it.
I would have to guess you're not lined up over the bolt. Maybe rotate the shaft 180 degrees and try from the other side. Might have a better look at where the hole with the bolt is.

Off the top of my head I'm not sure I remember is the shear bolt holes are lined up on both augers but I'll go out and take a look.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 01:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 3
When it happened to me on my JD 828D a couple years ago, I needed to bring it in my basement and clean out the area where the pin goes. The share pin shaft was stuck inside with no head or protrusion on either end. I used some liquid wrench to clean the area so I could see the diameter of the broken share pin. Once I did that I was able to calmly punch it out. My issue was I couldn't see the share pin remains because the area was so clouded with dirty old grease that I wasn't punching in the right spot even though I thought I was.

As previously mentioned, greasing the new pin is a good idea, which I will do myself now going forward.

Bob

Ariens 24 Platinum model 921050 with Poly Shoes

Sold my 17 yr old John Deere 828D for $300 in Jan 2017
post #6 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 762
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 1580
Likes (Received): 1665
Garage
I would spray some blaster in it and try. Then maybe you will have to heat it up.

Make sure to yell at it , swear at it , and kick it a few times to let the beast know you mean business.

It will cough up that pin, guaranteed.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #7 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 02:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 192
Garage
Im pretty sure on most Ariens the auger shaft has all drilled holes on the same center line. Two things to check.... look at the opposite auger and line up holes, get a qtip and clean hole of broken shearpin, rotate auger slightly and you should see outline of broken pin and auger shaft. Second is to look at where the roll pins go through the auger shaft at end of auger near the bushing flange on the bucket where it is bolted. Im guessing they all line up on the same center line. If you drill be extra careful as most people are not lined up properly and drill into the shaft, which will now leave you with an oblonged shear pin bore causing slop and movement of new pin.... which will cause premature pin breakage in the future. Let us know how your repair goes. Good luck

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 28" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #8 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4358
Likes (Received): 1741
Garage
I went out and checked two Ariens, two JD's and a troy and they all had the shear pin holes drilled at the same angle.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
I would spray some blaster in it and try. Then maybe you will have to heat it up.

Make sure to yell at it , swear at it , and kick it a few times to let the beast know you mean business.

It will cough up that pin, guaranteed.
No swearing unless you don't mind your mouth being washed out with lava soap.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
If you have a center auger support, sometimes it can be misaligned and put a bit of side pressure on the auger shaft so the holes do not align. You may want to loosen the center support to give some play to the auger shaft. Then try removing the shear bolt. If that fixes your problem then carefully position the center support so there is a little play on each side and the holes are in alignment. Check after tightening the support bracket.

Ariens will have the correct shear bolt for your machine so replace both.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page