LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-11-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 39
924032 drive engagement problem

I've had trouble with the drive engagement freezing up when it's super cold. Looking deeeeeeeeep into it, I see the pulley and drive disk go through a bearing that slides rearward to engage the drive against the friction wheel. I'll have to disassemble and clean this up. What grease/oil should I use on this sliding bearing?

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-11-2017, 02:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
I use PB blast to loosen up any old grease, then work it up and down with a crowbar until nice and free, then spray lithium grease in it
post #3 of 7 Old 02-11-2017, 02:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 192
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nt40lanman View Post
I've had trouble with the drive engagement freezing up when it's super cold. Looking deeeeeeeeep into it, I see the pulley and drive disk go through a bearing that slides rearward to engage the drive against the friction wheel. I'll have to disassemble and clean this up. What grease/oil should I use on this sliding bearing?
Those assemblys do get grungy & sticky due to age and type of lubricant that was used. When they get really stiff its nearly impossible to adjust drive as the spring assembly will just stretch rather than engage friction plate to the wheel. I use pb blaster or kroil to loosen it up and i remove friction wheel ( 5 bolts ) so that i can have more free movement area to work the plate assembly back and fourth. That usually does the trick to get it freed up and working normally. Then i use Zep 2000 lubricant and work it in, goes on as a liquid then somewhat solidifies to a grease.

Worse case is to remove the friction plate assembly and install two new bearings. Not too hard of a job if your mechanically inclined. Just know that it is left hand threaded, and washer / spacer placement is Critical.
Take pixx as you disassemble, washer in wrong place will bind up pulley.
Good luck and let us know how your repair goes.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 28" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #4 of 7 Old 02-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 192
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
i use pb blast to loosen up any old grease, then work it up and down with a crowbar until nice and free, then spray lithium grease in it
Ditto

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 28" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #5 of 7 Old 02-12-2017, 04:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
These guys are pretty sharp, and I'd like to add my .02. I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner to dissolve the contaminants, simply for the fact that I'm a slob, can't see very well, and have fat fingers, so any more lubricant on that rubber wheel, rears it's ugly head, AFTER I assemble it, give it to the customer, then wait for the phone call saying that his recently serviced machine feels as it's slipping. For the re-lubing, I use the black synthetic brake grease on the hex shaft.....for the same reasons, I'm sloppy and don't have good aim. I work it on the shaft quite a few times, won't drip and isn't affected by temperature. Meaning it won't drip off when hot, or thicken up when cold.

Different procedures for different parts of the country. but you can't go wrong with either of the first 2 answers.

HTH, Jay
post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2017, 08:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 469
Likes (Received): 816
+1 to Cranman, Also Check the Adjustment. Sometimes a turn or 2 on the nut will help.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-12-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 39
I soaked it with WD40 just to get going but I'm inclined to disassemble the whole works when it warms up. Problem with that joint is there's a lot of surface area. Good thinking on the brake grease, Jack. I wrench one day a week and we have packets of the stuff everywhere.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page