LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Almost working perfect...

First post - and i say this is a great resource.

Have a 17 yo Ariens Sno-Thro 524 with the 5hp Tecumseh (HSSK 50).

Quick background - late last year - started to do the proverbial bogging down under load on top of the classic engine surging. To remedy I did a complete carb rebuild - including Carb Dip, removed Welch plugs to clean every orifice, and installed new plugs etc - a complete rebuild with new parts, new spark plug, etc. That solved the surging and it runs and idles down great once warmed up. At the same time I installed new belts and disk (the one with rubber as it was near worn down.) Drives real nice - all is goodness.

Just received a foot of snow on Thursday and it started losing power again. So hand shovel the 100 foot driveway.

So after lots of searches on this board, I did the following:

1) Governor - adjust the governor with red throttle lever lifted up to max throttle, made sure the governor lever arm was tight then tightended the nut.
2) Cap - loosened the gas cap due to allow air - no impact.
3) Checked RPM's - using Hardline Tach - running at about 3800 RPM - when I engage the auger the RPM barely drops - as soon as I stuck it into 10 inches of powder RPM's started dropping...didn't see if Gov arm was moving though
4) This morning - checked Compression - i believe you can't really due to compression release, but at any rate using a high quality Harbor Freight gauge - it reads in the mid-high 30's - this is after warming the engine for about 10 minutes.

A bit perplexed. So I kept going back to thinking about the Governor - so I what I tried next was putting the red throttle lever down to the off position - moved Gov shaft hard to the right - then pushed the lever over so it was at WOT - then tightened.

It seems to work - but it does lose power a bit - but much better than Thursday night when just looking at the auger made it stop.

I made a video of the blower this morning showing the governor movement before sticking it into 8 inches of heavy wet snow.

Do you think the amount of power loss is normal? I know there is the exhaust valve clearance issue - and I may tackle that in the spring.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 298
You might be trying to go too fast into that wet stuff. Have you tried at a slower speed forward?

I would dial that max RPM back to not more than 3700, 3600 would be better. Tecumseh engines have been known to break connecting rods and ventilate the engine case.

I noticed that it seems slow to recover rpms after bogging it down. Did you resassemble the throttle and governor linkage at the bits on the carb exactly in the right holes? These bits and pieces have to be assembled exactly right for a given engine. One wrong hole on the carb butterfly, or incorrect placement of the rod that goes from the throttle control lever to the governor arm can cause problems.

Donyboy73 has excellent videos on Youtube showing in detail how to adjust the governor on Tecumseh engines as well as many other maintenance and repair procedures.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 02-11-2017 at 03:28 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was at the 2nd lowest forward speed setting. I'll dial down the rpm though.

Re the linkages, I took pictures of everything before teardown so I know those are fine.

DonyBoy's videos are excellent.

At this time at least it works better than Thursday but it seems something else is amiss...
post #4 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 07:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
POS, Next step, verify compression reading with another gauge. Even with compression release, it should hit a strong 40 psi on one engine revolution. if it doesn't, and you have the ability, do a cylinder leakdown test. If you can't do a leakdown test, verify valve clearance, or non-clearance issue. No amount of governor fiddling will make up for low compression. And your description of problem is typical low compression issue. Not hard tests OR fix. Your in deep, finish it correctly. Test, Don't guess.

GLuck, Jay
post #5 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Jay thanks. I don't intend to tweak the Gov as its been set per factory manual, my initial setting was wrong.

I'll borrow a good gauge to test though for sure as I'm also rebuilding an small outboard.

Thanks and I'll report back as I progress...
post #6 of 20 Old 02-11-2017, 08:49 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 82
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 416
Likes (Received): 664
Garage
jmo.....save yourself some shoveling and repower it . a chonda will really wake that machine up.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-12-2017, 03:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1379
You just might have a dodgey gov on that engine.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 20 Old 03-12-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update. Did a leak down test. Have not done this before but used a tester, was tricky getting to TDC, but when I thought it was there, I could hear and see the gauge show leakage. Assuming I did this right, that seems to be th problem.

I did try spraying some Seafoam in the valve area, not taking head off - saw this technique on YouTube. I taped the valve action here before using the Seafoam.

https://youtu.be/KY1c2mp6GOY

Seems to operate ok. there is some white colored stuff around rim of intake, not sure what that is.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-12-2017, 05:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
My rule of thumb on stuff I really need is to have two.....shoveling is not an option.. Two is one and one is none is a diddy my grandmother taught me. I sell blowers BTW.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #10 of 20 Old 03-12-2017, 05:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by POSAriens View Post
Update. Did a leak down test. Have not done this before but used a tester, was tricky getting to TDC, but when I thought it was there, I could hear and see the gauge show leakage. Assuming I did this right, that seems to be th problem.

I did try spraying some Seafoam in the valve area, not taking head off - saw this technique on YouTube. I taped the valve action here before using the Seafoam.

https://youtu.be/KY1c2mp6GOY

Seems to operate ok. there is some white colored stuff around rim of intake, not sure what that is.
5hp is not enough for heavy wet snow no matter how good the motor is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page