LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-20-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 87
AX414 on Platinum 30 too powerful :)

Last week we got a few inches of snow, and the berm from the town plow was pretty thick...and wet.

I tried moving through it with my aforementioned Ariens, but it was only dumping a few feet away. I know with more "normal" snow if it's light depth and it's not throwing far enough the key seems to be to speed up the advance rate.

Well, that didn't work so good with this stuff. The machine clogged up (first time ever) and stopped throwing anything.

I put the machine away and finished with a shovel. When I opened up the belt guard, both auger belts were shredded. The smaller belt for the wheel drive was fine, but those two are toast. I had a lot of fiber and rubber to clean out.

I think a weaker motor may have stalled. The AX414 just kept on running as if nothing happened. Beast eats itself alive!

Anyone else experience such a thing?

2015 Ariens Deluxe 28+ 921037, 414cc LCT (now son's)
2014 Ariens Platinum 30 921029, 414cc LCT (mine forever)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 308
Sounds like insufficient belt tension. Slight slippage that turned into shredded belts.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
The belts on my machine seem to be wearing well, a surprise since I blow out 6 to 8 driveways. The belts were adjusted fully in the fall so probably need new ones for next year. I have a spare set in case of premature failure.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
Pixman, Just wondering if you have an issue with the idler pulleys not in line with the belts. Have seen it on other newish dual auger Ariens. As Town notes, they should run quite a while without issues. Previous post about a new one needing shims to align pulleys to correct.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...belt-slip.html
post #5 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I do seem to have that alignment issue. For a couple of months I still have a machine shop, so I'll make shims if needed to get both sheaves and the tensioner into alignment when I get the new belts (probably tomorrow.)

There's no way for me to know if the failure was due to insufficient belt tension, both were shredded and off the pulleys. Is tension something that can be adjusted or is it done by virtue of the tensioner alone?

Mine is was bought new in August 2013 buy the original owner. I got it in February 2015 from the Ariens dealer who originally sold it, promising to honor the remainder of the warranty. That was apparently expired in August 2016 at the latest so I'm on my own with this. The machine worked fine until I abused it by feeding it slop.

post #6 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 03:28 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
I remember the tension is simply adjusted with the cable and spring near the right foot when in the operator position. I think it said 1/2" more than the disengaged spring length is correct for engagement. There was also something about the idler bracket should "kiss" the tractor housing when disengaged. The couple I saw had alignment problems, not tension so not much help. Both were new enough to be warranty repairs. I do know there is NOT a lot of room between the idler and the back of the auger bucket. Town probably has a better handle on the spec's having one in hand.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 05:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
The idler wheels are adjustable to move them closer to the belts. The idler wheels bracket is slotted, so loosen the bolt and move the wheels to tension or loosen the belts. I keep the belts tensioned so that there is no roughness on clutch take up.

I think the auger clutch linkage is to position the arm for brake operation. I have never needed to touch that.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-21-2017, 05:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Attached is a pic of the idler wheel adjustment nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger belts idler wheel 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	100554  

post #9 of 12 Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I thought I'd add a follow-up on the belt replacement. I got it all back together and my pulleys and belts all fell into place, aligned correctly. Mine look exactly like your photo, Town. I haven't started it up since the repair, but I'll ask: Should I be worried that the belts just about touch that heavy bent rod guard on one (left, in the photo) side? It looks like yours. When I close the lever to engage, it pulls away a bit but man that's close.

BTW, my dealer couldn't get replacement parts for the recoil starter spring and associated plastic part that got mashed, saying Ariens no longer sells individual parts. So I had to by the complete starter assembly, and I'm still waiting. No idea if we'll get any more "snowblowerable" snow this year, but I'd like to have it just the same. What's up with Ariens parts supply for a 3 year old machine?

post #10 of 12 Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 147
Likes (Received): 297
The starter is actually the engine manufacturer and they may not have those parts available so ariens can not sell them, one of the downfalls of the Chinese engines now used.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page