LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question ariens snowblower carburetor issue

I purchased my Ariens showblower 6 years ago and I went to start it this year with no luck. I changed the oil, spark plug and gas and it still would not start. I then performed a few google searches and got the idea to clean the carburetor. I had my neighbor stop by since he has experience with small engines and we cleaned the carburetor and took the float apart. We put it all back together and still no go. The engine does start and run on carburetor cleaner but then it stops, so we still think there is a clog somewhere that is feeding gas to the engine. We soaked the parts in carb cleaner and it still wonít start. The float has plenty of gas coming in so itís not a clog in the gas line. Any suggestions would be much appreciated....

I have attached several pictures to help with the engine dilemma.

-lo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carb_1.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	725   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb_2.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	726   Click image for larger version

Name:	float_1.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	727   Click image for larger version

Name:	float_2.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	728   Click image for larger version

Name:	model_num.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	729  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
We turned the gas line off and back on and it seemed like the gas was flowing into the float bowl. Iíll detach the gas line and test it tomorrow. Could there be a jet problem? The video below shows a carb rebuild on an older Ariens unit, but the jet is similar at the 3 minute marker on the video.

post #3 of 16 Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The problem may be lying inside the jet. You may also want to look into changing your fuel line as you'll probably end up having to clean the carburetor again.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So if the gas line is clear I'll perform the following:

-replace the gas line
-replace the jet
-replace all gaskets on the carburetor

Does that sound like a plan?
post #5 of 16 Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Your most likely culprit is the 3 tiny holes in the bolt that holds the carb bowl on. Most likely the tiny hole in the far end from the nut.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes aldfam4 liked this post
post #6 of 16 Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodo View Post
So if the gas line is clear I'll perform the following:

-replace the gas line
-replace the jet
-replace all gaskets on the carburetor

Does that sound like a plan?
Replace only the fuel line and gaskets. You can clean the tiny jet out with a piece of metal wire from a wire brush. You may even want to spray carb cleaner through it to blast out any remnants of old gas or dirt.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
if you are getting gas out of the fuel line when you disconnect it from the carb, connect the gas line and take the bowl off the bottom of the carb while the snowblower is flat on the ground in operating position. with the bowl off, and the fuel line connected and valve on if there is one (after you confirm it has gas coming out when not connected to the carb) there should be gas flowing into the carb and onto the float and then onto the floor. if the gas line is open and connected the gas isnt getting into the carb and the issue is a stuck needle valve or...there is a small rubber seat that goes under the needle valve. depending on was you used to clean the carb out it may have swelled up and closed the tiny hole the gas flows through. if gas flows out the bottom of the carb with no fuel bowl on it it is fine and move on to that bowl nut with the tiny holes in it. also make the 2 high and low needle valves arent still closed all the way.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
I agree with SHRYP and Td.

It's almost certainly in the carb and more than likely the problem is with the tiny holes in that bowl screw. It's either that or there is a piece of dirt at one of the needles. Let us know how it turns out.
Do what Fairway said. That wire brush trick was exactly how I cleaned the holes out on my Briggs carb.
Joe
post #9 of 16 Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Not running

Couple of additional things come to mind, it wasn't mentioned at what throttle setting the engine is failing. At high speed (throttle wide open) it's the jet at the bottom of the bowl. Try opening 1 full turn as an initial setting. If medium rpm then it's the jet in the side of the carb above the bowl. There are 3 small openings into the throttle bore from there that can be plugged. If the engine has a priming bulb there is a 4th leading from the reservour below it into the area behind the welch plug in the side of the carb or directly into the bottom of the throttle bore. That 4th one (in those carbs) typically need the side welch plug removed to check and clean it out. Careful removing that plug as there's little space between it and the side of the carb. Sometimes you can check the 3 from the throttle bore side with a strand of phone wire. Initial setting on that jet is 1 1/2 turns.

Just had this last week on an engine I was working on. Turned out it was that addition hole leading to the reservour that the primer charges when pumped.

Another thing, I've had terrible luck with gasahol (alcohol gas), I'm now using 100% gas with a touch of Seafoam and it works alot better.

Overall I'd start with the tank filter and line, then the needle valve under the float (I've seen that stuck to the seat), then the main bowl jet. Between the info you've received it's likely you'll find it. If you haven't already, best to put a new carb kit in. One thing, when replacing the main jet at the bottom of the carb, open the jet before screwing it in or you can distort the mating surface in the carb by tightening it with the just fully closed.

Good luck.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I had my neighbor stop over again and he cleaned the 3 tiny holes in the bolt that holds the carb bowl on yesterday with compressed air. He said they were all clogged. What exactly do the 3 holes perform in this carbureted system? Please be patient with this small motor novice.

We are putting the bolt back on today and weíll try to start her up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page