LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-07-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Initial blade position?

I've had some tracking issues on my new Platinum 24 (discussed here).

My inspection of the dealer setup shows the shoes are set about 1/4" different heights (!). In this configuration, the machine seems to sit pretty squarely on the ground and the blade gap is a pretty consistent ~1/8".

Upon further inspection, I now notice the blade itself is askew (> 1/8" depth difference, left side to right).

This might explain the how the shoe height mismatch could still produce a consistent gap. Or else, this might confirm the housing is actually racked!

So, I want to start afresh setting the blade and shoes.

Question: What is the suggested blade position (i.e., bolts in slots): Blade fully back, fully forward, or midway?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 173
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 460
Likes (Received): 1037
This is a new machine. The book should tell you how to set it up. You said the dealer set it up. If you're not quite sure about the setup or not satisfied with it you should take it back to them for proper alignment. Either it's out of square or someone didn't do their job properly.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No mention of blade assy/position in the user manual:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04585100D_ENG.pdf

I'm gonna run with a "middle" alignment. I want reassemble this thing myself - seems straightforward enough. I'll only get the dealer re-involved if the machine does in fact appear to be racked. They have no stock, so guessing I'd need to wait for them to repair (not to confident on this point any more) or replace from the factory (ugh).

Edit: just looked at the thermometer - 2 deg. I guess I'll need to wait on this task a bit!
post #4 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
My book says loosen both skid shoes on level surface, lift the bucket and place a 1/8th object under the scraper center. Tighten skids while making sure they are flush down on floor.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 02:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by docfletcher View Post
My book says loosen both skid shoes on level surface, lift the bucket and place a 1/8th object under the scraper center. Tighten skids while making sure they are flush down on floor.
I think he's got a scraper bar issue too. First post says it's not adjusted evenly on themachine. If It was mine I'd center that scraper on the machine and then use a paint stir stick ( been using tnis method since first snowblower) under the scraper bar and adjust skid shoes.

Joe
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
New.green shovel
post #6 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
I think he's got a scraper bar issue too. First post says it's not adjusted evenly on themachine. If It was mine I'd center that scraper on the machine and then use a paint stir stick ( been using tnis method since first snowblower) under the scraper bar and adjust skid shoes.
I tend to use a thicker washer. I guess a paint stick is about the same thickness or so. Ideal spacing would be no more than 1/8 of an inch or so. Anything less and you will be wearing your scraper bar out. Remember the picture I had with the washer on the floor. I have been doing this for years and I only replaced my scraper bar once on my MTD in 17 years. Got a bit off center worn and it was time for a nice straight edge again.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No issue adjusting the skid shoes. My question was related to the position (in the slots) of the scraper bar.

I was thinking all the way BACK in the slots would provide me more forward adjustment with wear over time.

I decided to simply align midway in the slots and be done with it. This would allow a little wiggle room either way if needed for blade alignment.

I plan a 1/8" gap under the blade via washers I had lying around.

Temps are supposed to hit near 40 deg this weekend. That'll feel like a heatwave and permit me to get this task done.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
No issue adjusting the skid shoes. My question was related to the position (in the slots) of the scraper bar.

I was thinking all the way BACK in the slots would provide me more forward adjustment with wear over time.

I decided to simply align midway in the slots and be done with it. This would allow a little wiggle room either way if needed for blade alignment.

I plan a 1/8" gap under the blade via washers I had lying around.

Temps are supposed to hit near 40 deg this weekend. That'll feel like a heatwave and permit me to get this task done.
We have been going from below zero for a few days to the mid 40's and 50's.... then back below zero and now mid 40's predicted this weekend. Its crazy. The cars are trashed with salt and grime. If we see 40 on Sat I will be washing cars.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
I tend to use a thicker washer. I guess a paint stick is about the same thickness or so. Ideal spacing would be no more than 1/8 of an inch or so. Anything less and you will be wearing your scraper bar out. Remember the picture I had with the washer on the floor. I have been doing this for years and I only replaced my scraper bar once on my MTD in 17 years. Got a bit off center worn and it was time for a nice straight edge again.
Ok. It was you that had the washers underneath, Mark. I do remember seeing it. Yeh. Paint stick is must a tad strong maybe, but it's what I started with back in the day and stayed with it.

Joe
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
New.green shovel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page