LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens 11528LE Drive Belt Slips Off

I picked up this blower used. The auger wouldn't spin so I replaced auger belt and drive belt they were both chewed up pretty bad. Now the drive and auger both work however the drive belt keeps slipping off. It literally slipped off just sitting in the garage. Very weird.

The belt appears tight and I am certain it is ran correctly. Did some digging in the manual it says to have the "traction drive clutch spring" expand 1/2 inch when lever is engaged(pg 26 owners manual). So i made sure that was done and it checks out and it did.

The idler pulley has a slight wobble to it but not sure if that could be the problem. As far as I can tell you can't adjust idler pulley for the drive system.

The new belts were ordered from an Ariens Dealer and I gave them the serial # so can't imagine its the wrong belt.

What other things could I check?

Here are the owners/parts manuals:
Ariens Order Owners Manuals

And I will take a few pictures maybe you guys can spot something.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes sjm1027 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 01:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 96
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 458
Garage
Looseness in the idler pulley is common as it's not a precision bearing! Many times there is a minor adjustment. You loosen the center bolt and you can slide the pulley sideways about an inch.

Remove the auger belt and turn the pulley to ensure there's no binding. It should turn relatively easy.

Turn all the pulleys to ensure they turn easy. Wiggle them also.

Look down eyeing the pulleys making sure they are inline. Make sure they are not bent or wobbly.

Then put the belts on, look at how they are riding in the pulleys.

Put blocks under the rear frame lifting the wheels off the ground. Take the spark plug wire off. Have someone slowly pull the starter cord while you are lining things up.

The adjustments underneath the engine and at the rear governs the tension applied to the belt which also controls slippage, has nothing to do with the belt slipping off unless it was crazy loose.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #3 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Pictures here. Not sure why they wouldn't upload on the forum.

Ariens Blower - Album on Imgur
post #4 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like

Video of it in action. Seems like the big drive wheel is bouncing around alot. Not sure if normal or maybe bad bearing/part in there somewhere? Hope you guys can help.
post #5 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
Looseness in the idler pulley is common as it's not a precision bearing! Many times there is a minor adjustment. You loosen the center bolt and you can slide the pulley sideways about an inch.

Remove the auger belt and turn the pulley to ensure there's no binding. It should turn relatively easy.

Turn all the pulleys to ensure they turn easy. Wiggle them also.

Look down eyeing the pulleys making sure they are inline. Make sure they are not bent or wobbly.

Then put the belts on, look at how they are riding in the pulleys.

Put blocks under the rear frame lifting the wheels off the ground. Take the spark plug wire off. Have someone slowly pull the starter cord while you are lining things up.

The adjustments underneath the engine and at the rear governs the tension applied to the belt which also controls slippage, has nothing to do with the belt slipping off unless it was crazy loose.
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. So you're saying to loosen the drive belt pulley and slide it over an inch? Wish you were here to help. Confusing reading this. I need to line all the pulleys up somehow? The auger is working fine. Drive belt just keeps coming off.

Are you sure the drive belt pulley can be adjusted? I know the auger belt can as it has a groove where you can slide it forward or back.

Last edited by ICECOLDBEER; 03-02-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #6 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
Check that the engine bolts are not loose - it's possible that it has slid back a tad. It doesn't take much to be off line.......

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
Check that the engine bolts are not loose - it's possible that it has slid back a tad. It doesn't take much to be off line.......
Thanks for the reply. Which engine bolts exactly are you talking about?
post #8 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 02:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 6
Could the drive pulley be turned around?
post #9 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 02:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 23
You can definitely adjust the belt idler (5).

The belt idler is loose and needs adjustment. The idler should have light steady pressure against the belt. But the pressure should not be so tight that it causes the auger to spin when the machine is simply idling. The idler can be adjusted by loosening the center screw (on the idler wheel (9)) shifting the idler wheel towards the belt and retightening the screw. If you over tighten the idler the auger will turn even though the impeller lever is not engaged. If this occurs you will just need to loosen the idler screw slide the pulley ever so slightly away from the belt. Note how the idler exerts slight pressure in picture below.

I am not mechanically inclined at all. But replacing and adjusting belts on a snow blower is a very simple task. So simple even a NOOB such myself can perform. This task was an absolute necessity because that winter I was about to be bombarded with back to back 15" snowfalls. And I had thrown an impeller belt during the first storm and the next big storm was days away. All the local repair stores were out of snow blower belts and back logged with repairs. So it was either shovel or learn to swap a belt. Unfortunately, nobody had my snow blower's belt in stock. As a temporary fix for my blower I substituted an auto parts v-belt which was also 5/16" shorter than the OEM snow blower belt. Thus, I had to adjust the idler wheel to accommodate the shorter belt length. 4 weeks later when my OEM snow blower belt arrived I swapped out the auto store belt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens Pulley.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	101250  

2017 Husqvarna ST224P
2005 Ariens ST1332DLE (sold)
2002 Craftsman 9HP 28" 88xxx (gave away)

Last edited by wow08816; 03-02-2017 at 03:31 PM.
post #10 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow08816 View Post
You can definitely adjust the impeller idler pulley.

The idler pulley is loose and needs adjustment. The pulley should have light steady pressure against the impeller belt. But the pressure should not be so tight that it causes the impeller to spin when the machine is simply idling. The pulley can be adjusted by loosening the center screw (on the pulley) shifting the pulley towards the belt and retightening the screw. If you over tighten the impeller pulley the auger will turn even though the impeller lever is not engaged. If this occurs you will just need to loosen the pulley screw slide the pulley ever so slightly away from the belt.

I am not mechanically inclined at all. But replacing and adjusting belts on a snow blower is a very simple task. So simple even a NOOB such myself can perform. This task was an absolute necessity because that winter I was about to be bombarded with back to back 15" snowfalls. And I had thrown an impeller belt during the first storm and the next big storm was days away. All the local repair stores were out of snow blower belts and back logged with repairs. So it was either shovel or learn to swap a belt. Unfortunately, nobody had my snow blower's belt in stock. As a temporary fix for my blower I substituted an auto parts v-belt which was also 5/16" shorter than the OEM snow blower belt. Thus, I had to adjust the idler pulley to accommodate the shorter belt length. 4 weeks later when my OEM snow blower belt arrived I swapped out the auto store belt.
It's not the impeller belt... Its the drive belt. The impeller and auger work perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page