LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-08-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Electric Start Motor not engaging.

I have a 3 year old Ariens Deluxe 30 2-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower with 30-inch Clearing Width purchased at Home Depot (Model # 921032). Works fantastic once I get it started but that is the issue. It has been difficult to start from day one and needs the electric start to start properly. I have used it sparingly (no more than 3 - 5 times a winter for max 1 hour/time) yet now the electric starter needs 30 - 40 spins before it might grab and turn over the engine. I am using a heavy gauge cord and the electric motor turns over easy once it catches, that is not the issue. Is there any adjustment to be made to the electric starter and if not what is the ball park figure to replace the electric starter, where is a good reputable source and how easy is it to be replaced. Thanks in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 178
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 409
Garage
If the motor is working then the starter drive is not engaging. For a car, I can buy just the drive, for a mower blower never needed to. It was always easy to replace.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #3 of 7 Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 14
Could be it is sticking from the cold or lack of lubrication. You could try tapping it with the handle of a screwdriver or the like while trying to spin it.
Donyboy73 has a lot of YouTube videos on starter repair

Mid-1980s Craftsman C950-52677-7
8/25 Tecumseh HM80
1983 10/32 Craftsman C459.52252
HMSK110 re-power
Southern New Brunswick near Bay of Fundy
post #4 of 7 Old 03-08-2017, 06:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 168
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 580
I would be more worried why it is hard starting.....I like the electric start while on the lift...but never use it otherwise. No blower should take more then three pulls and then only if no primer button.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 9
If you starter is the old traditional type using inertia to drive the spur gear into engagement, then it likely just needs to have the spur gear engagement ramps cleaned and lightly lubed. Removal of the starter involves only 2 bolts.

A picture from you would confirm whether this is your configuration.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Agreed that it should start in a few pulls anyhow, so something else may be going on with the engine. Often the carbs get dirty, especially if you aren't using fuel stabilizer, and let gas sit in it over the summer.

Hopefully fixing the electric start is easy, like lubricating the gear on the starter motor where it slides up and down.

I'm more familiar with the old Tecumseh starters, I don't know what the starters look like on the newer engines. If you have a model number from the engine itself, that might make it easier to find details of the engine.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskman2017 View Post
I have a 3 year old Ariens Deluxe 30 2-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower with 30-inch Clearing Width purchased at Home Depot (Model # 921032). Works fantastic once I get it started but that is the issue. It has been difficult to start from day one and needs the electric start to start properly. I have used it sparingly (no more than 3 - 5 times a winter for max 1 hour/time) yet now the electric starter needs 30 - 40 spins before it might grab and turn over the engine. I am using a heavy gauge cord and the electric motor turns over easy once it catches, that is not the issue. Is there any adjustment to be made to the electric starter and if not what is the ball park figure to replace the electric starter, where is a good reputable source and how easy is it to be replaced. Thanks in advance for your help
Are you saying that the starter is turning but it is not turning the engine? Or that the starter is turning the engine but the engine is hard starting?

Also, you say you are using a heavy gauge cord. What gauge and how long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page