LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-13-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
22" Compact Auger Issues

I have a 22" ST22LE Model 920013. In December while clearing snow, I started clearing a pile of snow that turned out to be a snow covered leaf pile. The leaves jammed between the auger and housing stopping the auger dead. I thought the shear bolts had given way, but after unjamming the leaves the bolts were intact and the auger turned normally when engaged.

Cut to today. I was out clearing about 6 inches of snow; had done the sidewalk up and down the whole block with no issues, when suddenly I was pushing snow instead of throwing it. I disengaged and stepped around to check for something jamming the auger or impeller. Nothing was obvious, so I tried reengaging the auger. Auger and impeller didn't move, but I got a grinding sound when the engagement handle was pushed down. I released and reengaged the auger/impeller handle three time to try to isolate where the grinding sound was coming from and on the third try the auger and impeller reengaged with no grinding sound but the auger was obviously moving slower than normal and the impeller seemed slower as well. Letting off the handle then led to the same sequence with the auger and impeller engaging after several tries with lots of grinding in between.

Normally I would think a slipping or broken belt, but the grinding sound has me concerned. Has anybody had an issue like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
If the auger, and impeller, are both running more slowly than normal, that seems like it must be a belt.

Or maybe something at the hub for the auger pulley, where it mounts to the auger shaft. That might more easily explain grinding.

My Ariens (different model) has setscrews holding the pulley hub to the shaft, and a woodruff key to make them both turn together. If something in that area came loose or broke, it could explain the impeller also turning more slowly, and a grinding noise.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Alakar thanked for this post
Likes Alakar liked this post
post #3 of 6 Old 03-14-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Red, that gives me an idea of where to start looking.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-14-2017, 12:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
Grinding noises after jamming the auger assembly makes me think auger gear box, or the auger pulley might be spinning on its shaft. Id lean toward the latter based on your description. Either way, something gave up

May want to simply jam the auger with a piece of wood and lightly apply the auger lever. You or someone else can see what spins and what doesnt.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-14-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Grinding noises after jamming the auger assembly makes me think auger gear box, or the auger pulley might be spinning on its shaft. Id lean toward the latter based on your description. Either way, something gave up

May want to simply jam the auger with a piece of wood and lightly apply the auger lever. You or someone else can see what spins and what doesnt.
Good idea, that would at least help me isolate whether it's the auger gear box or something farther back.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
Auger and impeller didn't move, but I got a grinding sound when the engagement handle was pushed down.... on the third try the auger and impeller reengaged with no grinding sound but the auger was obviously moving slower than normal and the impeller seemed slower as well.
Just be sure of your symptoms. The impeller not turning, or turning more slowly, should be unrelated to an auger gearbox problem.

They could result from the auger pulley spinning on the shaft, however.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page