LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-13-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 8
Angry Bottom skid plate hardware

Noticed a puddle of an oily residue underneath the bottom skid plate of my 2017 Ariens 24" Platinum EFI. I rotated the whole unit forward and leaned it on a couple blocks so it rested at an angle. I removed the 6 bolts without any issue. Inspected the whole autoturn/ and belt area and found no sings of a oily/ honey colored oil leak. I made sure the U clips were back where they belonged and installed the plate. I spent over an hour trying to get the bolts into the **** U clamps that are pinched on the skid plate.

I find it extremely hard to believe that a $2k snowblower does not have a tack welded nut on the backside or a threaded block that's tack welded. Wasted over an hour of my time, nicked some of the orange casing, only got 5 of 6 back in the threaded holes. What the **** was Ariens thinking?!

Any of you guys run into this? Solutions?

My only solution was to wait until spring, clean the surface and then tack welded a nut to the backside, then repaint it.

2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - FOR SALE
2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, 54" blade, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart
2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
Welcome to the world of cost effectiveness! Ariens probably figures since those fasteners are not weight bearing (holding some important part together like the bucket to the tractor) Speed Nuts as they're called are sufficient. Why spend a couple of $$$ per unit for spot welding and Weld Nuts when you can spend pennies per unit for half a dozen Speed Nuts per unit. It adds up when you produce however many thousand snowblowers a year Ariens does.
Also while it seems after reading the posts on this website everybody does their own maintenance in reality the vast majority of snowblower owners run them til they break and then either sell them or take them to a dealer and let his guys fiddle with those things.
I worked at the Eastman Kodak Co. back in the day and was always amazed at the ******* children conceived by the marriage of engineers and accountants. When I take something apart now I can see the cost cutting measures and just chuckle to myself about the meetings that must have taken place over the simplest of things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #3 of 5 Old 03-13-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 8
I'm sure there some cost savings between components and labor but holy crap do those thing prove to be complete crap.

2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - FOR SALE
2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, 54" blade, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart
2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - sold
post #4 of 5 Old 04-03-2017, 09:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 524SWE View Post
Welcome to the world of cost effectiveness! Ariens probably figures since those fasteners are not weight bearing (holding some important part together like the bucket to the tractor) Speed Nuts as they're called are sufficient. Why spend a couple of $$$ per unit for spot welding and Weld Nuts when you can spend pennies per unit for half a dozen Speed Nuts per unit. It adds up when you produce however many thousand snowblowers a year Ariens does.
Also while it seems after reading the posts on this website everybody does their own maintenance in reality the vast majority of snowblower owners run them til they break and then either sell them or take them to a dealer and let his guys fiddle with those things.
I worked at the Eastman Kodak Co. back in the day and was always amazed at the ******* children conceived by the marriage of engineers and accountants. When I take something apart now I can see the cost cutting measures and just chuckle to myself about the meetings that must have taken place over the simplest of things.
Well said. The evil of pricepoint in limitless!

2002 Ariens 932-101
post #5 of 5 Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
The only thing that bothers me more then the absence of welded nuts, is the use of over grown sheet metal screws.

Yeah, that's a direct dig at MTD.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page