post #1 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 4
Garage
Smile First Use - Deluxe 24

When I first looked out this morning it didn't look like there was enough snow to use the blower and it was raining and snowing.

While I was looking out the window two plows were working the street. It was mostly slush and they were plowing curb to curb. They don't usually do that. They usually plow about four feet out from the curb on our side. Since they plowed up close to the curb the side walks were half covered with the plowed up stuff and the end of the driveway (EOD) had a pile of semi-frozen glop about 20" (not the 28 I originally thought I saw) high by three feet across.

I figured that I'd use the blower to work on that. I ate some breakfast first, so it was about an hour after the plows went by that I went out. The driveway had more than enough snow and slop on it to use the blower. The blower started up on the first pull and off I went. Straight down the driveway to get rid of the EOD pile. I hit that pile and the blower started bucking like a bronco with a mind of its own. The driveway had about 1/2" to an inch of slush and frozen slush under a couple inches of snow, the EOD had big blocks of slush, some of it frozen to the pavement. It took me a while to get synchronized with the drive clutch on the blower so I could stop and back up and go at it again. I kept forgetting that the drive clutch was on the left and the auger clutch on the right and would let go of the auger instead of the drive clutch. I'm going to have some sore shoulder muscles and lower back muscles, too, I expect.

Clearing the sidewalk was about like getting rid of the EOD pile since they also were covered with the glop from the plows. I was going to do the neighbor's walk up to the corner as they never shovel it, but after fighting my way about halfway I quit. It would have been a lot worse trying to shovel it.

Clearing out in front of the mailbox went pretty easy and didn't take long at all. That's usually worse than clearing the driveway as the snow gets piled so deep there from the plows. The plow pile along that stretch was a lot smaller than what was at the EOD as the plow went by so fast that it all end up on the sidewalks.

I was surprised at how far it threw the snow from the driveway, especially since it was half slush. My wife told me the next time I use it to remember to lower the chute hood as I was hitting the house with snow and slush as I went up and down the sidewalk. She said she heard something that sounded like snow sliding off the roof and looked up just in time to see a big ball of slushy snow hit the screen and she was on the 2nd floor about 25+ feet away from the sidewalk.

Heck, I was having enough trouble remembering which way to turn the chute, let alone remembering that I could aim the hood lower to keep it from throwing too far.

After clearing the EOD and sidewalks along the street, the driveway was a breeze.

Bob
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 06:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
Sounds like you had some fun. And don't worry about forgetting which lever is the drive belt and which is the auger....I've had my 24" Deluxe for 6 years and still switch them up.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
My machine has these little graphic pictures close to the drive and auger clutch levers, but buried amongst other little graphics.

I made some labels, traction and auger and stuck them on the traction and auger levers undersides so you can see them then the levers are up. Also stuck labels on the front edges of the levers on the top side, so you can see them when you are holding down the levers. I have a good memory, but its short. Sometimes a word is worth a thousand pictures.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #4 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 4
Garage
skutflut,
That's a neat idea.

I don't think it would make any difference for me if levers had labels. I wouldn't be looking for the labels to see which lever to release, I'm too busy watching where I'm going and trying to remember to get the chute aimed the right direction.

Bob
post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-2017, 09:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA4370 View Post
skutflut,
That's a neat idea.

I don't think it would make any difference for me if levers had labels. I wouldn't be looking for the labels to see which lever to release, I'm too busy watching where I'm going and trying to remember to get the chute aimed the right direction.
After the first 6 years, I hardly even have to look at the labels anymore, except for the first couple of uses during the new winter. I am glad to say I never forget about where to set the chute. If I put any snow where it isn't supposed to be, I get to move it again. I usually blow sideways, but have to adjust to 45 degrees in one area to keep from filling in the neighbour's sidewalk, then back to 90 degrees once past that point. The remote chute controls are a big + in this machine, as you can move them on the fly.

My old machine had a crank for direction, and a big wingnut for pitch so you would have to stop to adjust it. The crank dam near killed my back because it was down low and hard to reach and took about 600 turns (give or take) to move the chute 180 degrees.

I'm not sure, but I think I was a little disappointed that the 6-8 inch showfall we were supposed to get today turned out to be about 1" and with all the wind, it all ended up at the neighbour's house. I guess that's something. Our weather guessers have been wrong every time so far this winter, predicting doom and gloom, and when nothing happened, blaming mother nature for changing wind direction and making them look bad.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page