first use - new compact 24 - too much oil or possible leak? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
first use - new compact 24 - too much oil or possible leak?

Hi,

Had the opportunity to use this new snowblower for the first time today that I bought earlier in the year. I noticed oil slicks in the wet snow mostly around the left tire and on the lower left side of the housing of the friction plate and belt. After clearing the driveway, I saw that the inside of the left tire had significant oil coating it. But I didn't see an obvious leak anywhere.

The drain plug is tight. I filled this engine with 16oz of oil per specs in the manual. However, when I try to check the oil levels with the dip stick it's almost impossible to tell how much oil is there since the oil is brand new. Candidly, it looks like maybe there is too much oil.

Taking it to a dealer would be a major hassle and since this is the first time I've used it, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. I was thinking there is too much oil... but it's almost impossible to tell.

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

jw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
You can either figure out how to see the new oil - by wiping the dipstick clean, or else drain it all out, and then fill it with the recommended amount. Or, bring it to the dealer - which sounds like the worst option. Did it come with a bottle of oil that you then put in, or did you buy a bottle of oil, and add it - without knowing if it already had oil in it ?

Either way - it is NOT good to run an engine with too much oil - or too little, for that matter - so try to get it figured out before using it again.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I wish I could see the oil levels on the dipstick. Believe me, I've tried a dozen times. The oil is so clear I can barely see it. (or perhaps so high on the dip stick)

This blower was shipped in the crate direct from Home Depot. Would it really have come already filled with oil??

Agreed though, I can't let it happen again. Will drain it just to be safe. Sadly, I don't think I'll have a way to check it again in action until next year. As it was, the winter was nearly non-existent in my area this year. Guess if it happens next year, I'll be paying a dealer to service.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 09:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
You can run these machines without snow just to test for oil leaks ! LOL

Did you buy the oil, or did it come with a 16 oz bottle. You can call HD or Ariens and ask if they come pre-filled with oil.

What is you lay the dipstick on a piece of white paper to see the level ?
post #5 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 1
I recently bought a second hand blower and noticed it was leaking oil. It
actually had both problems you are wondering about. It was overfilled, but also one of the yellow oil plugs on the lower part of the engine was a bit loose and the oil was seeping out from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 03-15-2017, 03:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
clean/new oil can be tough to see. As mentioned wipe off the dip stick w/ paper towel and then re-insert and pull out. If you touch the edge of a paper towel to the area where the oil should be showing it can make the level more visible.

It terms of finding the leak, you are going to have to follow the path of the oil. Presumably, it did not originate at the wheels, so see if you can trace it out.

If nothing is obvious, then wipe everything down, removing all traces of oil leakage and then run the machine for a while, etc. and see if you can find the source.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #7 of 11 Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I had the same issue in checking oil levels in my Toyota Sienna.. It is a common problem.. Toyota now uses 0-W20 oil... Very light oil. Super clear when fresh. I thought there was no oil in it when I checked it ! .. I learned that if I laid the dipstick on a paper towel the level would be more apparent...

I had an old Simplicity machine that sprayed a bit of snow back on the engine area... The melted snow mixed with dirt and rust and oil etc.. ; things that are on the surface of most machines... What was dripping was mostly melted snow, and rust-water, very little oil... You may want to confirm that is in fact oil that is dripping..

Good luck

Let us know how you made out..
post #8 of 11 Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
I have the same problem on the yellow dipstick in a B&S 205cc Snow Engine. I just bought a graduated clear beaker to measure the oil after thoroughly draining the old. No matter how well I wipe the dipstick or angle in the light amber oil over a yellow stick is hard to see. I recently overfilled myself.
My old cars metal dipsticks are always easy to read.

2004 Honda HS520AS- estate sale bargain
2012 MurrayCraftsman DS 9ft/lb 27" (2/2014 Slickdeal; bought $370 new)
2006 Craftsman 5hp 22" found on curb (gifted)
Quake State Defy 10w30 in all...mmmmmm Zinc!
post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2017, 06:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Check it in very bright light, after wiping diligently, and re-dipping the stick. The oil should reflect the light. Or...as the others were saying, push it down onto a piece of toilet paper, then, flip it over. The paper will stick to the dipstick, and also transfer the oil thru the paper, and you can read the approx level.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Old- the post you just replied to was from back in march, brother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page