Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Compact 24 issues throwing

https://youtu.be/chguWlT8xRk
https://youtu.be/aVCiWNP-96E
https://youtu.be/uDbKJIUjjYQ

Had a couple problems with my blower. It was easily getting jammed up and then wouldn't spin until completely being cleared. Once it was able to blow again it would easily get jammed again under heavy snow.

Videos are in original post. Any ideas? Dealer said check belts and shear pins. Shear pins seem ok.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-15-2017, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 218
Seems like the auger belt may be loose. Def. no prob with sheer pins because it does throw snow from time to time.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-15-2017, 11:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Seems like the auger belt may be loose. Def. no prob with sheer pins because it does throw snow from time to time.
Could be shear pins, or a loose belt. It chops a bit of snow, then stops, snow tumbles back into impeller after a rest, then throws that, then goes through the cycle again.

See if the auger rakes can be rotated by hand when the engine is turned off.

Also, It appears that you are tilting that machine all the way down and resting the handles on the ground while cleaning it out. Don't do that with the engine running as all the oil will slosh to the back of the engine and not get splashed to where its supposed to be. Its not a good idea to clean out a clog with the engine running at all.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #4 of 15 Old 03-15-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Could be shear pins, or a loose belt. It chops a bit of snow, then stops, snow tumbles back into impeller after a rest, then throws that, then goes through the cycle again.

See if the auger rakes can be rotated by hand when the engine is turned off.

Also, It appears that you are tilting that machine all the way down and resting the handles on the ground while cleaning it out. Don't do that with the engine running as all the oil will slosh to the back of the engine and not get splashed to where its supposed to be. Its not a good idea to clean out a clog with the engine running at all.

Only was doing that for demonstration purposes. I had the auger engaged throughout all the videos.

With the engine off I am able to turn to the impeller in the back by hand. Not able to turn the auger rakes by hand. All shear pins I can see in the front appear to be ok.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If the impeller can free-wheel, you should take a look at where it is pinned to the shaft that goes through it. There may be one or two, either roll pins, or sheer pins that are sheered, or fell out, and they would need to be replaced.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
If the impeller can free-wheel, you should take a look at where it is pinned to the shaft that goes through it. There may be one or two, either roll pins, or sheer pins that are sheered, or fell out, and they would need to be replaced.
Hmmm I'll have to take a look at that spot. The only shear pins I saw were on the auger housing and one to the left and the right of that. So you're saying there's more pins towards the back?
post #7 of 15 Old 03-15-2017, 03:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Chorney View Post
Hmmm I'll have to take a look at that spot. The only shear pins I saw were on the auger housing and one to the left and the right of that. So you're saying there's more pins towards the back?
Check this page. Ariens 920021 - Ariens Compact 24 120v (SN: 000101 & Above) Auger and Chute Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com

It shows two roll pins, item 10 holding the impeller to the shaft.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #8 of 15 Old 03-15-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Check this page. Ariens 920021 - Ariens Compact 24 120v (SN: 000101 & Above) Auger and Chute Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com

It shows two roll pins, item 10 holding the impeller to the shaft.
Very cool! I'll have to take another look.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-15-2017, 07:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
And please - as suggested, DO NOT clean out the blower with the engine running. I go one step further, and pull off the plug wire. Better safe, then have to learn how to write left-handed.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Yeah, please be careful, both of the engine (running & tilted back), and of you (clearing it while running). I'm glad you were using the clearing shovel, at least, but if the augers had suddenly spun in the video with clearing them out, they could have tried to grab the shovel.

Has someone been able to watch the augers, when the snow stops throwing? If the augers are still spinning normally, but snow stops coming out, then I'd expect the impeller is spinning somewhat freely on the impeller shaft, and maybe those roll pins broke. It keeps throwing snow for a while, though, so if the impeller is spinning on the shaft, I'd think it must be somewhat tight on there, and not just flopping around.

If the augers stop at the same time that the throwing stops, then I'd suspect a belt, or some other slippage (possibly pulley to shaft). I didn't notice belt squealing in the video.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 03-15-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: I had written auger shaft, but meant impeller shaft. Fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page