LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 03-17-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Which to buy, Compact or Deluxe 24?

Hi Everyone and sorry in advance for the long post. Brand new to the forums and would love your expert opinions. This will be my first snowblower and I did a lot of searching on here, but am still indecisive if I should get the 24" Compact or Deluxe. I live in the NYC area (Staten Island) and the past 4 years or so we have been getting some nice dumps, with the exception of this winter. The snow falls can range from 12" to 30+" for the year. Most average snowfalls are probably 3" to 6" at a time (I'm guestimating). I do live on a hill and part of my sidewalk is sloped around 11 degrees and my driveway about the same. It's a corner plot with around 75 feet of sidewalk and a 2 car wide driveway that's around 16 feet long.

Storage is not a concern for either snowblower and the Compact 24 will probably be more than enough for my needs, but part of me is wondering how it will handle the sloped driveway and sidewalk and how it will tackle the EOD build-up left by the plows. Plus the current model weighs 213 lbs according to Ariens' website which is 32.5 lbs less than the Deluxe 24. 32.5 lbs is a big difference in weight, but how easy is it to push 213 lbs with 1 wheel drive engaged? I understand I can lock both wheels, but will mostly be using 1 for maneuverability.

The deluxe appeals to me more because for the price it gives me a bigger engine and has auto turn. I probably do not need the auto turn, but feel that it will assist with the sloped sections and 245.5 lbs weight since both wheels to be constantly engaged.

What's the auto turn reliability?

I'm definitely buying an Ariens because the "white glove service" is available in my area. Just want to be sure I have no regrets with my purchase.

Which would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 583
hello andre, welcome to SBF!! I would get the deluxe, it never hurts to have a little more power

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 28 Old 03-17-2017, 06:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 254
From a lot of reading as long as they have the polymer skids and setup right the auto turn is good, I have a older Ariens that they make a auto turn kit for so I ended up ordering it, Unfortunately it came in the day before the last snow storm LOL So will be installing it over the summer for next season. I would go with the deluxe

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #4 of 28 Old 03-17-2017, 06:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 218
Too big, is always better than too small - unless it doesn't fit in a garage, or thru a doorway.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Too big, is always better than too small - unless it doesn't fit in a garage, or thru a doorway.
Unless you're talking bucket width which for me 24" is just the right size for getting into smaller areas to clear. Not too big and not too small.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
Sounds like your mind is made up. Either blower will be fine. The auto turn seems to have a good reputation, however, if your driveway is uneven you might want to inquire about how that will effect it. Also, I personally always lock both wheels bc when only 1 is engaged it's much harder to keep it in a straight line.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 28 Old 03-17-2017, 09:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have a compact 24 and a deluxe 24. The auto turn worked great for me. Deluxe has quite a bit more power. It chewed right through almost 30" of EOD after this last storm without a problem. I would go with the deluxe.

2017 Ariens Deluxe 24
2003 Ariens compact 624 with a rusted bucket.
post #8 of 28 Old 03-18-2017, 03:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 254
Platinum 24SHO would have you grinning every time you use it..
post #9 of 28 Old 03-18-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the opinions! I have been watching many videos and both seem very good. My reserved side says the Compact will be enough, but as a guy i always want more power and features. From the responses i guess i should go the Deluxe route. Forgot to mention that the driveway is concrete and has some uneven spots due to cracks so that can be a concern but i wont plow very close to a car. Also, i will be plowing a lot of the EOD buildup since we also park on the street so the Deluxe's power will certainly help. I'll probably compare the pros & cons for one more week and then place my order. Chances are it will be the Deluxe unless someone says otherwise.

Oh, is the size of the Deluxe really much more than the Compact? There are not many comparison photos online and none in the stores around me.
post #10 of 28 Old 03-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like me. Concrete driveway with cracks, two cars parked on road. The width is the same, but the deluxe is longer. I don't have any problem maneuvering around the cars. And the auto turn works great. The deluxe is about 14" longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4_Andre View Post
Thanks for all the opinions! I have been watching many videos and both seem very good. My reserved side says the Compact will be enough, but as a guy i always want more power and features. From the responses i guess i should go the Deluxe route. Forgot to mention that the driveway is concrete and has some uneven spots due to cracks so that can be a concern but i wont plow very close to a car. Also, i will be plowing a lot of the EOD buildup since we also park on the street so the Deluxe's power will certainly help. I'll probably compare the pros & cons for one more week and then place my order. Chances are it will be the Deluxe unless someone says otherwise.

Oh, is the size of the Deluxe really much more than the Compact? There are not many comparison photos online and none in the stores around me.

2017 Ariens Deluxe 24
2003 Ariens compact 624 with a rusted bucket.

Last edited by jej826; 03-18-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page