IS a 70's 3.5 HP Arien Worth the trouble? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-13-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 15
IS a 70's 3.5 HP Arien Worth the trouble?

ITs at an estate sale close by. they only want ten bucks for it but doesn't seem to have run for years.
It did not really interest me, so I did not look it over very well I was more interested in tools. I will check it out a bit better tomorrow or next weekend.
Both tires are shot. It looks clean and not to rusty , it has a very short chute other than that don't recall much. I think if it had a bit more HP I would of given it a once over.
thanks for any response from anyone who has used or worked on this model.
Owner said it worked fine last time??? he used it when ever that was?
How much would the new rubber cost me?

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-13-2017, 08:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 220
Save your money and your time - leave it there. You will invest more than it is worth to get it running. For $100-150 you can do much better, and your will save money in the long run, and have a machine that will actually do some work for you, instead of you working for it.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2017, 09:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
Smile Show or Go snowblowers...

Considering the number of Ariens you already own I guess the question is what do you mean by "worth the trouble?" If you're a collector of old Ariens machines this might be an addition to your stable. If you're looking for a small lightweight blower for occasional use this might be worthwhile. Since you already own 7 snowblowers I guess it's a matter of how many do you want for show and how many do you use on a regular basis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Toro CCR1000
2007 Cub Cadet 524SWE
post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
By the way Thanks RIT333 I guess I needed to be reassured!
Just a short update for 524SWE. I am not so much a real big flipper or an extreme restorer. My Ariens ST824 and Deluxe 28 and the Honda Single stage are my go to's and serve me well and all work well.
The rest are projects for family members or possible sales, But since it was a slow snow year I didn't even bother trying.
Thanks for the feed back!

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biketrax View Post
ITs at an estate sale close by. they only want ten bucks for it but doesn't seem to have run for years.
It did not really interest me, so I did not look it over very well I was more interested in tools. I will check it out a bit better tomorrow or next weekend.
Both tires are shot. It looks clean and not to rusty , it has a very short chute other than that don't recall much. I think if it had a bit more HP I would of given it a once over.
thanks for any response from anyone who has used or worked on this model.
Owner said it worked fine last time??? he used it when ever that was?
How much would the new rubber cost me?
A fellow offered me a 69 Ariens 22,000 series with a 5hp engine running it was the second engine on the machine. It was missing its belt cover, that's about it. I never ended up taking it due to limited space, but at $10 it would have been worth it. A machine with only 3.5hp cant do to much and needing new tires it's not worth it for repairing to run. But at $10 bucks its worth a lot of the good parts which can be dismantled and sold. Otherwise I don't see it being worth it, not for a 3.5hp machine, free take it away, sure anytime IMO.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2017, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Fearless I checked it out a bit better today. it is in great condition for its age, One tire was actually inflated. ITs a tiny machine I guess that can be an advantage and seem almost like using a single stage (in size). If they still have it next weekend I may re-consider, I may get chewed out by the misses.

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page