Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Model 910995 Specs

Hello everyone-
Thanks again for this forum.
I have a pretty basic question as my knowledge of blowers is pretty basic.
I'm going to need a two stage now instead the single stage Toro I have.
I'm looking at what appears to be a very well-maintained Ariens 910995. Serial Number is 064985. Ariens customer service says these specific models were manufactured in '71 and '72--based on what I've read so far, I'm not sure that '71 and '72 were the only years. I've noticed that many of the members here can't stop praising these specific units. Reliability is very important to me and so is value. Ok-I'm cheap.
I have looked on the forum and on the web but I can't seem to find the specs for this model--height, width, and especially, the weight. I'm concerned about transporting this in our van. The gentleman who is selling the unit says two guys can load this into a van. But like I said, I'm not a big man and I'm now in my 50s.
If anyone out there can point me in the right direction for answers to specification questions, I'd sure appreciate it!
Thank you! Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 07:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 273
Likes (Given): 375
Likes (Received): 921
Not sure but maybe this'll help. Found it doing a google search. Appears to be a 6/24 . You won't be picking it up by yourself. You're going to need a small set of ramps. Can pick them up at tractor supply or harbor freight. I'm going to lost a vid for you to watch.
Who cares what year it is as lomg as it's in good condition and performs well.

Find Answers.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 273
Likes (Given): 375
Likes (Received): 921
Watch this 13 minute vid. Well worth your time.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Jcbsda thanked for this post
post #4 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 781
I have two 1971's, one with a 24" bucket and one with a 32" bucket.
Both are all original, original engine, no mods.
they are great!
The 24" machine is my main snowblower, bought it for $250 in January 2009, used it on nine Western NY winters since, and the only trouble it has given me is minor carb adjustment issues. But once I got that dialed in, its been great.

More info on my machines:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ollection.html

and its actually my original '71 that led to the creation of my Ariens page! (link in my signature below)

The exact weight is fairly irrevelant, because no one manually lifts *any* 2-stage snowblower..
and it wont be too heavy for a van..you will need ramps, you can then run it up the ramps using its own power..totally easy.
it wont need to be running to take it back out of the van, because you then have gravity on your side..also totally easy.

the only potential issue with the older Ariens is the engine. the 50-year old snowblower itself (everthing minus the engine) is totally fine, they are tanks, with good maintance and care they will go another 50-years easy. But the 50-year old engine can be (slightly) more of a concern, simply because engines can wear out faster than the snowblower, because they are a lot more complex and have a lot more moving parts..That's why I bought the "backup" Ariens, in case my first snowblower wont start one winter morning.

but! my worries have been completely unfounded! The original Tecumseh is also going strong! no problems, except for the finicky carb I mentioned. A friend helped me adjust the carb, because I was inexperienced, and since then its been a non-issue. starts and runs fine. So these old Tecumsehs arent as bad as some might think. With proper maintance and care, many of them are also going past thge half-century mark..cant argue with that kind of quality. So I highely recommend 1970's Ariens! Excellent choice IMO. The machines themselves started out excellent quailty, the only variable on condition decades later is previous owner care. But a good one will likely work just fine for many more decades to come..

I assume you are probably looking at a 24" bucket?
I'll do a measurement on mine this afternoon, get the maximum L, W. and H.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you!

Thank you Scot! You guys are great. I really appreciate the help and the suggestions. I can see why this site is so popular! I'm sure I'll be checking back in with more basic questions.
THANKS AGAIN!!!
Mike
post #6 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you Joe! I got up this morning and already 3 replies! You guys are fantastic--
Mike
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes micah68kj liked this post
post #7 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Thumbs up

I've moved several snowblowers ranging from a Honda HS621 all the way to a Honda HSS1332ATD (to fit this one I had to remove the chute), a Yamaha YS1028J and a few 10000 series Ariens using my van which is a Toyota Sienna (I think you'll be fine).
If you are by yourself you need ramps.
Two people can definitely lift the blower (but I usually use ramps unless I get help from the seller/buyer).
post #8 of 19 Old 08-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 781
1971 model 910962 dimensions. (Nearly all 10,000 series will be the same, or very close.)

Total length, front of bucket to rear of handlebars: 5' 4".

Width at widest point, the skid shoes on the bottom of the 24" bucket: 26".

Highest point, shift lever on the right-side handlebars, with shifter set to reverse: 38.5".

(It can be made shorter in height if necessary by pushing the handlebars down, which simultaneously raises the bucket,..if transporting in this position, something would need to be placed under the bucket to keep it raised..let me know if you need the maximum shortness achievable this way!)

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 08-11-2017 at 02:47 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-12-2017, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you all! The video is very helpful. People on youtube are really generous with their time and experience--just like all you guys. YSHS---Harbor Freight is nearby and, coincidentally I also have a Sienna! What length of ramp works for you...I don't have a set and it will probably be best for me to pick a set up.
Thanks!
Mike
post #10 of 19 Old 08-12-2017, 09:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbsda View Post
Thank you all! The video is very helpful. People on youtube are really generous with their time and experience--just like all you guys. YSHS---Harbor Freight is nearby and, coincidentally I also have a Sienna! What length of ramp works for you...I don't have a set and it will probably be best for me to pick a set up.
Thanks!
Mike
This are the ones I bought @ https://www.tractorsupply.com/?cm_mm...SRLxoCCcfw_wcB
(when they were on sale), the ones I have are natural aluminum colored not black as these (this are an overkill just for loading/unloading a snowblower as they are rated for 3000lbs, but I'll need them for other heavy uses) They are 90" long.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...b?cm_vc=-10005

These seem like would work

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...b?cm_vc=IOPDP2

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...b?cm_vc=IOPDP2

You can search at Harbor freight for something like the ones I posted.
I like the curved ramps as it makes it easier to transition from the ramps into the van.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page