post #1 of 8 Old 08-19-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thumbs up Removing Frozen Muffler Bolts

Hi everyone,

New member here! I just picked up a Tecumseh powered Ariens 7-24 - the model number (910008) suggests it was from the 1973 batch. I am in the process of installing a new carb and muffler.

The muffler stud that passes through the center of the muffler was already broken so the old muffler was only hanging by 1 good bolt anyways. I carefully ground the old muffler away without damaging the block . With the muffler removed I tried heating the 2 bolts red - but they would not come free. I didn't dare turning any harder for fear of snapping them. What would you guys suggest for extracting the remains of these 2 muffler bolts/studs.

Added a photo of the dilemma:
http://imgur.com/a/TCvB6

I presume my 2 choices would be to heat the block around the stuck bolts or drilling but I'd be happy to hear from your experience!

Last edited by Gonzo; 08-20-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added a photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 12:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Hi everyone,

New member here! I just picked up a Tecumseh powered Ariens 7-24 - the model number (910008) suggests it was from the 1973 batch. I am in the process of installing a new carb and muffler.

The muffler stud that passes through the center of the muffler was already broken so the old muffler was only hanging by 1 good bolt anyways. I carefully ground the old muffler away without damaging the block . With the muffler removed I tried heating the 2 bolts red - but they would not come free. I didn't dare turning any harder for fear of snapping them. What would you guys suggest for extracting the remains of these 2 muffler bolts/studs.

I presume my 2 choices would be to heat the block around the stuck bolts or drilling but I'd be happy to hear from your experience!
Can you get pliers on the broken bolt?

First thing would be to spray some penetrating oil on them every day and try loosening them again. If still stuck after a few days, I would warm the motor up and try it hot. If you do this, you must have a way to block ambient temperature air from entering the head and warping the valve. Masking tape, or a refrigerator magnet may work. You can also try putting a good amount of torque on them while you smack the end of the bolt with a hammer

If those methods don't work, Id just crank on them. They will either come out or break. Then either jump with joy, or sharpen your center punch.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 478
Weld a nut on each stud (if you have access to a welder), spray penetrating spray several times, tap the head of the stud (careful no to hit it to hard to damage the threads on the block), then try lo loosen or tighten the stud. Once it gets loose, spray more penetrating fluid and work it back and forth until is out.
If it snaps off, then an extracting set will be your best friend. Or carefully drill the stud out and clean the threads (you want to be very precise here).
I have been lucky removing studs from aluminum cylinder heads by carefully heating around the studs and spraying penetrant on the hot area to cool it down instantly (this also works very well on seized augers).
post #4 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 691
Thanks (Received): 184
Likes (Given): 1109
Likes (Received): 1117
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSHSfan View Post
Weld a nut on each stud (if you have access to a welder), spray penetrating spray several times, tap the head of the stud (careful no to hit it to hard to damage the threads on the block), then try lo loosen or tighten the stud. Once it gets loose, spray more penetrating fluid and work it back and forth until is out.
If it snaps off, then an extracting set will be your best friend. Or carefully drill the stud out and clean the threads (you want to be very precise here).
I have been lucky removing studs from aluminum cylinder heads by carefully heating around the studs and spraying penetrant on the hot area to cool it down instantly (this also works very well on seized augers).
if you have to drill the bolt in the head , what do you use to clean the threads with? I have been afraid to drill too close to the threads and damage them and then that may leave too much of the stud remaining on the threads.

if i damaged the threads i had to re tap it.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 12:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 478
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
if you have to drill the bolt in the head , what do you use to clean the threads with? I have been afraid to drill too close to the threads and damage them and then that may leave too much of the stud remaining on the threads.

if i damaged the threads i had to re tap it.
You try to drill as centered as possible (if you have left hand drill bits, it is best, some times it'll come out on its own as you drill), then use a pick to break and remove the remains of the threads and finally run a tap for final cleaning.
Some times I drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt/stud, then heat it and cool it and it has worked lose (I suspect the hole lets the material "compress" inwards), then I'm able to remove it with an extractor.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks orangputeh thanked for this post
post #6 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSHSfan View Post
Thanks for the advice guys!

I will try welding a nut onto each of the studs and applying penetrating oil. I'm not typically patient enough for penetrating oil - my first reflex is to go for the torch set.
In the mean time I will order some left-hand drill bits and an extraction set. According to the engine parts list the threading is 5/16-18.

Speaking of torching - is there any aluminum I would need to be aware if I'm torching in that general area?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
If you have the time and patience, try using the oil for a couple of days first. Just use a simple propane torch to heat it some and then spray it with PB Blaster after you've taken the torch away and waited 10-20 seconds for it to start to cool. The cooling process will help pull the penetrating oil into the threads. Spray it a couple of times while it's cooling.
When you have the bolt welded onto the stud that is a good time to get a wrench on it and try to back it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB Blaster.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	107090  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-22-2017, 12:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 254
My Ariens has a small hole in the muffler and I am dreading removing it, Already have a new muffler since last winter but dread doing it and I HAVE left handed drills and helicoils AND Taps if needed LOL. May have my buddy just patch weld the old one, Only a 1/4 inch hole but god I'm dreading snapping one of the bolts....

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page