LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-01-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question % of snowblower market?

As a rookie, I was wondering if Ariens had the largest piece of the US snowblower market? Which are the top 5 snowblowers in terms of sales in the USA?

Thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-01-2017, 11:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 112
Likes (Received): 254
Sad to say the biggest piece isn't the highest quality. I would say MTD has the biggest share of sales due to the fact they make most of the cheaper brands, Cub Cadet, Troy bilt Many of the Craftsman Yard Machines and a few others are ALL made by MTD so they have the most sales due to having the cheapest prices and in the disposable society we have become people just buy the cheap models and rebuy when they need another. As for quality sales the top 3 IMHO would be Honda, Ariens and Toro being the top 3 popular brands

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-02-2017, 12:15 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
That's an interesting question.

But I'm less interested in the actual answer and more interested in your motivation for asking it.... What would you hope to conclude from the answer?

Suppose I told you that the market-share was controlled by these five.

1) Target own-brand
2) K-mart own-brand
3) Walmart own-brand
4) Sam's club own-brand
5) Costco own-brand

What would you actually do with that information?

Is it a "just wondering" kind of question? Or are you trying to get to a quality assessment? Or what?

I DID try to find the answer but all I could find is some company trying to sell a "market analysis" report.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-02-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
they have the most sales due to having the cheapest prices and in the disposable society we have become people just buy the cheap models and rebuy when they need another.
Sad...I've been guilty of this..."use it up, throw it out" I've been working less recently so now I'm motivated to fix what I have. It's a good lesson and is rewarding.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart80112 View Post

But I'm less interested in the actual answer and more interested in your motivation for asking it.... What would you hope to conclude from the answer?
I really know nothing about small engines and consumer items powered by them. Since my neighbor sold me his Ariens, I'm taking an interest and I'm trying to educate myself. Lots of choices out there!
post #6 of 6 Old 09-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinboat View Post
I really know nothing about small engines and consumer items powered by them. Since my neighbor sold me his Ariens, I'm taking an interest and I'm trying to educate myself. Lots of choices out there!
OK Got it... so it's more of the "just wondering".

In that case, although I really don't know the answer in terms of number of units sold... Like Dauntae, I would guess that it's probably the lower quality manufacturers... but that's simply a guess. It says more about the purchasers and less about the products themselves. Maybe they get fooled by the glossy websites and the marketing, maybe it's just easier because those are the products they see when they wander into big-box stores, maybe they recognize a brand name from the past that Grandpa used to love and just assume that they will be OK even though those brand names have now gone down-market.... it's hard to know for sure.

Without knowing the details in advance, you've managed to get lucky and stumble into one of the better manufacturers by getting a used Ariens. :-)

Their website claims that they are The #1 selling brand of two-stage snow blowers in the world. however I take these things with a grain of salt. I'm not sure that it's even possible to fact-check that type of claim. There are a few billion people living outside of the USA and quite a few of them see snow and are exposed to different product lines when they wander into their local stores. I wonder which products are available in the Himalayas, Andes, Mongolia, China etc.

In general, high sales volume does not necessarily translate into high quality... that's why I listed the types of companies that I did. To hunt out the best quality for ANY product, you may need to get away from the big retailers.. they often use price to determine which products will get the precious floor-space and therefore be exposed to the masses. I notice that Honda and Ariens are seen in some of the high-volume retailers these days so maybe things are changing. However, it pays to do the research on places like this before parting with hard-earned cash.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to trust the 5-star ratings system because most people are encouraged by the sellers to give a review when the machine is just a few days old and sometimes before the machine has even seen snow! By the time people become disappointed with their purchase, the machine is one or two years old and that model is mysteriously not being sold any longer and a different model number has taken its place with a new set of first-week ratings. Rinse and repeat. I have no data to know for sure if the constant model changes are just one way of dodging bad legacy reviews or not. Unless a rating is given after a couple of years, it's impossible to know if the reviews are of any real value. The only reviews you can really trust are the ones telling you that it simply fell apart in the first season or bogged down in a light snow-storm. You usually cannot return the product at that stage and the model numbers have all changed.

Last edited by unknown1; 09-02-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks tinboat thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page