post #1 of 39 Old 09-09-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 19
Ariens 926LE modifications

Hi

I have an Ariens 926LE since many years and modified it a bit, It has taller wheels and a 305CC B&S motor. As I need a small snowblower which must throw snow far away, I decided to keep it and will mod it again. I got a Honda GX390 motor and I will change the impeller sheave from 2.75 to 3.25 inches. As the Honda GX390 shaft will be 1 inch higher than the B&S engine, the stock plastic housing will not fit with the Honda engine.

Is there another plastic housing from another Ariens model I could buy which will fit with the Honda engine ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 216
If you are looking for distance, the best bang for your buck would be to add an impeller kit to your existing impeller, and keep your Briggs engine, and then smile. No need to go with a Honda engine or the bigger pulley. How far are you trying to move the snow ? As they say, Keep it Simple.
post #3 of 39 Old 09-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3848
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to SBF legarem

I would doubt there would be anything ready made but that's just a guess. Might not be too difficult to make a spacer out of some sheet steel to raise the current housing. Just depends on if the width gives you enough clearance for the bigger pulley.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 39 Old 09-09-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have in hand a Honda GX390 brand new. I installed it on my Ariens this afternoon. I have to wait to receive my bigger pulley. Impeller kit is cheduled later when i'll change the impeller bearing. Here is the result I want here:

I will never do that with my BS motor. Since I have a metal roof, snow falling from it is hard and heavy to throw away.
post #5 of 39 Old 09-09-2017, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Is the Honda GX390 a snowblower engine? If not you may have to "dress it" for winter use....
post #6 of 39 Old 09-10-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
This was my next question as I heard there's something to modify with GX engines to use them in winter. Any information to do that ?
post #7 of 39 Old 09-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by legarem View Post
This was my next question as I heard there's something to modify with GX engines to use them in winter. Any information to do that ?
If I was buying a new GX engine for a snowblower I'd buy a snowblower engine, they are sold through dealers as complete snowblower replacement engine.
A lot of people have been successful using general purpose GX engines (and predators 212cc) but a winter engine or snowblower engine has various differences including covered fan shroud and pull start, non-air filter air intake system, throttle and governor covering to prevent freezing, "anti-icing" kit and probably different jetting.
Some general purpose GX engines also do not have a charge coil.
post #8 of 39 Old 09-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3848
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
You'd want to remove the air filter. Isn't much dust in the air in winter and if left in place it can ice up and kill the engine.
Make a box of some sort to protect the carb and linkage from snow. If it has a way to take in warm air from the head or side of the engine all the better.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 39 Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I looked at the carburator specs for a GX390 and a HS1332

Gx390 has a # 95 main jet and the motor on the HS1332 has a main jet #102. Pilot jet are the same. I was wondering if the main jet difference is for air temperature compensation or because HS1332 motor doesn't have any air filter ? I don't like the idea to run a motor without an air filter. I thought using only the stock foam air filter installed in the GX390 (opening the paper filter). Hot inlet tube shouldn't be very hard to fit with the stock airbox.
post #10 of 39 Old 09-23-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
look up the largest snowblower in that series that ariens made. i have a 924044 1032 with a predator gx390 clone and i had the same issues. turns out for the largest machine in the 924 series family the st1236 they made belt cover risers which worked perfectly on my blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page