post #1 of 30 Old 09-25-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Stu

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Gasoline ?

Just purchased an Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO snowblower and the dealer is recommending the use of mid-grade (89) gasoline, but the owner's manual recommends 87 (regular) or higher.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-25-2017, 03:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Yeah the 89 octane is the bees knees man. ran that in the lawn mower this year and it was humming like a Detroit Diesel. Anyhoo, ALOHA from the Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 30 Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Moderators

This looks like a duplicate of this other thread https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-gasoline.html
post #4 of 30 Old 11-19-2017, 12:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 3
I am not sure what octane I run but I try to find ethanol free gas. If I cannot find it I use an ethanol treatment in my gas can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes BeansBaxter liked this post
post #5 of 30 Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 218
Unless the 89 is ethanol free, then there is no advantage using it over 87 octane, except it will drain your wallet quicker.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
Unless the 89 is ethanol free, then there is no advantage using it over 87 octane, except it will drain your wallet quicker.
maybe yours?? each to his or her own,

but 89 is a way better choice over 87 in any of today's motors due to higher compression ratios needed for emissions, it makes less carbon inside the chambers and on the valve heads and stems, holds some of the high test additives not found in 87 as it a pump mix of both grades,

machines i work on, the owners get told forget what the owner's manual has printed, run high test as it stores longer and better, we get them back for normal service with very few returns for fuel related issues due to poor quality, no name cheap gasoline, when we do we find the 10% grain has sucked up moisture out of improperly tightened fuel storage can vents and caps. water in the machine gas tanks,
post #7 of 30 Old 11-19-2017, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
not sure on you location - but in Ontario Shell Premium is the only non ethanol fuel i'm aware off. This is what all the small engine shops suggest people use in their mowers and blowers etc. (but not for the octane rating) I'm sure it will run great with 87. This is what i do / but i make sure my last tank is Shell Premium before storage
post #8 of 30 Old 11-19-2017, 08:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 180
Likes (Received): 41
Use K100 in your fuel to beat the ethanol problems. See this demo video.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gormleyflyer2002 View Post
not sure on you location - but in Ontario Shell Premium is the only non ethanol fuel i'm aware off. This is what all the small engine shops suggest people use in their mowers and blowers etc. (but not for the octane rating) I'm sure it will run great with 87. This is what i do / but i make sure my last tank is Shell Premium before storage
you just named issue by nailing it on the head! NAME brand labels over no name, shell.sunoco. exxon/mobil. no name or off brand, simply don't have the additives of the better named gas, personally my cars get shell or sunoco. which for me means a 15 mile drive to the highway as all we have in town local is off label stations run by not so great people and found to have at times well over the posted 10%.

as a example my little daily driver a 2017 elantra will give me low 30's mpg city on either, 42 to 45 highway, if i can't get to the highway,the off label gas it drops to low 20's city and tops 29 highway.
as to what the small engine makers say. most say 87 or better.

kohler for one has a FAQ https://power.kohler.com/na-en/engines/faqs
items 2, 5 and 7 pertain to a lot of questions many ask in sbf,
gasoline wise they post
"Gasoline
Use unleaded regular gasoline with a pump sticker octane rating of 87 or higher."

by higher they match what i tell my customers, YES it hurts the wallet. but how much do we really use each year, 2 or 3 gallons? the difference in cost of 89 or 92 is just cheap insurance

oil wise. most of us say wait till 10 or more before switching to syntech, i always say 20. seems i'm wrong. it's 50 hours,

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...endations.html

Last edited by 10953; 11-19-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #10 of 30 Old 11-19-2017, 09:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 powershift View Post
maybe yours?? each to his or her own,

but 89 is a way better choice over 87 in any of today's motors due to higher compression ratios needed for emissions, it makes less carbon inside the chambers and on the valve heads and stems, holds some of the high test additives not found in 87 as it a pump mix of both grades,

machines i work on, the owners get told forget what the owner's manual has printed, run high test as it stores longer and better, we get them back for normal service with very few returns for fuel related issues due to poor quality, no name cheap gasoline, when we do we find the 10% grain has sucked up moisture out of improperly tightened fuel storage can vents and caps. water in the machine gas tanks,
I believe there is no evidence using octane higher than recommended has any substantive impact on an engine. While it's true 89 octane is better than 87 in higher compression engines as a general rule, that doesn't mean 87 octane isn't fine for those engines that recommend it.

Beyond that, there is little correlation between octane rating and ethanol phase separation as all gasolines containing ethanol contain approx. the same ratio of gasoline to ethanol.

Having said that, I do use higher octane gasoline than the minimum required in my small engines, but for a different reason. Like many, I add stabilizer (Sea Foam or Sta-Bil) to gasoline. I'm concerned the additive may lower the overall octane so I use higher octane gas to offset that impact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page