LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New Ariens Does Not Start

I bought an Ariens Deluxe 28 last year around Oct from a local dealer. Snowblower was delivered and the guy showed me how to started. Of course there would be no snow last year after I got the snowblower. This year I could not start it. Now I am not total newbie on gas powered equipment having a JD tractor and various gas powered tools. So I know how to start it.

Called the dealer they told me it's not covered by warranty. They're saying the carberator probably need to be cleaned but did not quote me a price. $75 pick up and delivery.

So what should I do folks? There must be tons of people bought a snowblower last year and did not use. The whole point of getting it from the dealer is to get the service etc now I am feeling totally ripped off.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 351
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 784
well, did you drain the gas this past spring and store it dry over the summer?
if no, then unfortunately the dealer is right..they wont cover that because they would consider it "your fault" that it doesn't start..all dealers would do the same.

If you did leave old gas in it all summer, did you drain it all out and fill it with fresh gas this fall? if not, that needs to be step 1 to get it started again..

leaving in old gas in it all summer isnt necessarily a problem by itself..I do it myself..
(I do it so gaskets wont dry out..)
but you have to make sure you drain it all out in the fall and replace with fresh gas..
that is key..you cant expect it to start on year-old gas..especially these days with the ethanol..
the ethanol is really causing issues..gas doesnt last long anymore. some say even a month
or two and its no good..

the good news is, there is probably nothing really wrong with the machine itself..
just minor maintenance issues..shouldn't be too hard to get it running yourself..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 11-30-2012 at 11:17 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks Scot. now I know. I feel the dealer should have told me that. definitely give it a try tomorrow. I guess I'd need to drain from the fuel line.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
dont feel bad because i bought a new ariens snow blower also. only i shut the gas off and left it run till it quit. then i put sea foam in the tank. i will drain the gas out and start with new gas. i would put new gas in and put a little sea foam in and let it run.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
ok drained gas by disconnecting the fuel line. press the prime button a few times to get as much fuel out from the carb as possible. left everything open for an hour for the fuel to evaporate. put in new gas. primed a few times. now it still won't start. sprayed starting fluid on the carb. it starts but shuts down right away. tried this a few times to burn off whatever's left in the carb. still won't start as soon as the starting fluid is burned out. seems like the fuel is not getting into the carberator from the fuel tank. fuel switch is definitely on.

anything wrong here? also what is sea foam?

thanks a lot.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The problem most likely is that the main jet of the carburetor is clogged with stale gas or debris, preventing the flow of fuel into the engine. You'll need to clean this out with a piece of metal wire from a wire brush and a shot of carb. cleaner. Since I am not familiar with the engines on the newer Ariens, I can't really help you much further than this.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Maybe try covering the choke with your hand and cranking it a couple times. That might suck out whatever is clogging it.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
This might be lame but I believe there is a fuel shutoff switch...are you sure that is on???
post #9 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
yes the fuel shutoff is on. i even undid the fuel line again just to make sure fuel is coming out.

tomorrow I am going to open the carberator and take a look. hopefully i can still put it back together. tempted to send to the dealer to get it fixed but I figure I already gone this far might as well keep going.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Maybe try covering the choke with your hand and cranking it a couple times. That might suck out whatever is clogging it.
I am guessing what you mean is to cover the opening of the carburetor. there is a plate with 2 holes on it at the opening. when it's in the choke position it's close i guess that restrict the amount of air coming in therefore causing more fuel to come in from the jet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page