LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-12-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 9
Choosing between an Ariens and a Honda

Well this is my first post. I been looking here for a while and learned a lot of view points on snowblowers from everyone, thank you. I never owed a snowblower in the past and my wife and I decided not pay for another year of plowing. After reading almost everything I could, here and other places since Spring time. I was ready to make my decision. I really liked Honda's with their build quality and design. But I went with an Ariens 28 Hydro Pro. The reasons for choosing Ariens over Honda's are many, I liked the larger more powerful engine, the Ariens weighs 75 - 100 pounds heavier, which adds traction to the machine, I chose the 28" to have a machine with the highest engine power to smallest housing size ratio. They both are commercial units and very durable but the Ariens just looked beefier throughout, especially the bars, the Honda's look like the lower entry Ariens units, not the beefy square tube on the Ariens. The Honda looks more refined but I looked more for toughness and power, some storms we get over 2 feet of snow here in NH. This is just my opinion and not to offend any other snowblowers out there. I painted and installed Armor Skids and I went old school with wheels and V Chains on my unit. We have a 300 foot unpaved very solid base driveway with sometimes 4 foot end of driveway banking's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens 3.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	111009  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
Congrats that is a sweet machine that will handle the big storms well, it is powerful with substantial power per inch and a huge fuel tank. Best of luck with it, should serve you well for decades.

aboard

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old 10-13-2017, 12:16 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
This post is VERY timely

We've got someone making the same decision as we speak
I'll put a link to your explanation on that thread
If you interested in seeing some data that objectively tries to compare the options you mentioned... come on over... it's a bit long but bear with us ;-)

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...onda-need.html
post #4 of 16 Old 10-14-2017, 08:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
You won't need the tire chains. Using chains (in my use) just bounces the machine up and down making myself travel slower down the walks. With new tires the traction is superb.

Only 2 things I don't care for on the new design pro machines.

The square frame don't fit the Ariens snow cab like the old round frame does. They will sit lower on the frame and block the recoil starter more.

The 2ND thing is that stupid light. It shines in my eyes and don't shine on the ground. I added two LEDS and painted the original light with black paint.

Otherwise an awesome machine. The end of the driveway snow piles are an non issue. You can blow the snow across the street if you want to. I enjoy running strong blowers. To blow the snow 50+ feet is fun!

Ariens snow cab mounts on pro machine

My Pro 36

I kept my older 30" machine as a spare unit and because it has the cab that fits well. For the most severe winter weather like wind / rain / etc I will use the 30 inch machine.

Here is the 30 and the 28" Ariens that I sold for the Pro machine.

Bob

Last edited by Ariens hydro pro; 10-14-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-14-2017, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
The 2ND thing is that stupid light. It shines in my eyes and don't shine on the ground. I added two LEDS and painted the original light with black paint.
Ariens hasn't fixed that light issue yet? I would think there's been enough complaints about it that they would have by now.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

2018 Ariens Platinum SHO Track 28
post #6 of 16 Old 10-14-2017, 08:43 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
If you lurk and read all threads you will have seen this... if not it may be news to you
If you want some more warm fuzzies about your choice you may get them on my spreadsheet that tries to compare makes and models
here:https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...nowblower.html
post #7 of 16 Old 10-15-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 9
Ariens hydro pro, Thanks for your insight. I did know about these design flaws due to I watched your videos on youtube and they were great by the way. First, I don't ever see myself with a snow cab mounted on my machine, I like it just plain and open. The second, I read that many people don't like the light and your remedy worked well for you. I'll try it out this Winter and if the light bothers me, I might do a mod like you did on yours. All machines have their advantages and disadvantages. I weighed out everything I could before I made my decision and the advantages of a powerful, capable machine outweighs the minimal disadvantages mentioned. Our applications are different. As far as the V chains go, I don't have a paved driveway, so I raised my Armor Skids all the way down, for protection. This will leave about 1 1/2" of snow behind the machine, not a clean scrap like pavement. The 28 Pro has narrower tires than the 32 or 36 Pros and with V chains, enables the machine to dig down to the ground better and have less tire flotation, than wider tires. I have a heavy machine background. My machine needs to bite down through the leftover snow and provide enough traction for the worst case storms especially when ice is involved and I feel (my option only) in my hilly application, the V chains offers superior traction than even the track versions. A heavy, narrow, powerful machine that can bite down into ice and rough stone, will be hard to stop. The V chains give maximum traction compared to conventional chains, which slip and I don't need to worry about damaging pavement and I don't mind a little bumpy ride. I already walked around the yard with it and it's not bad at all, didn't even notice.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
The V bar chains are a godzilla moment for snow removal and you can make it even more effective by filling the tires with windshield washer fluid to add ballast weight.

Last edited by leonz; 10-15-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typos grrrrr
post #9 of 16 Old 10-15-2017, 07:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 8
Nice lights!

2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - FOR SALE
2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, 54" blade, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart
2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - sold
post #10 of 16 Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
Nice lights!
Thanks.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page