LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-16-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 932140 Tecumseh LH195SP

I own this snowblower but now it wont start. I showed it to repair shop and they said to buy new one as the engine is gone. (They also said i can leave the snow blower there as its dead - which got me thinking ) He also told crankshaft is shot. So I decided to take matters on my own hand and reading about lot i thought it might be good idea to swap the engine with Predator. I have never worked on engine except cleaning the carburator but hey there is always first time for everything. Couple of questions i had
1. I believe LH195SP is 5hp machine and i was wondering if i can go higher HP and what kind of engine i should replace with. I saw 6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA @ $99.00. Can i go with 13 HP (420cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA/CARB OR 8 HP (301cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA. ( If higher is better which i don't know the answer)
2. What other parts i would need while i swap the engine?
3. Any instructions on how to swap the engine and then install new carburator or I should use same carburator?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
S2K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-16-2017, 11:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
I'm curious how he concluded that the crank was shot.

how was it running before the no-start condition?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #3 of 5 Old 10-16-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Apologize. Forgot to put important piece of information. When last year winter started I asked my son to bring the snowblower from Shed. He put the gas in and started without putting the oil. It ran for 15 minutes and stopped which i told the guy what happened. So he checked few things and told me that your crankshaft is bad and since you started without oil the machine is dead.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Taking matters into your own hands... good for you! :-)

I'm not blowing you away but there is LOTS of information already discussing re-powering
There is even a whole thread dedicated to that
First thing you need to do perhaps is read some of them and do some searching.

Some things that always crop up are...

1) what is the shape of the footprint of the engine and do the bolts match... is it a straight drop -in?
2) Bigger engines usually have a bigger foot print - some drop in - some need to be drilled etc
3) Shaft diameter - Is the predator shaft the same as your pulleys? - do you need to buy an "adapter" - they exist and are cheap
4) How wide is the engine? Will you need to fuss with the chute lever if you have one?
5) Do you care about a carburetor box? can you fake one with metal sheeting
6) Did the old engine have one or two shafts? The predator has one - that can make the reverse "gears" go forward and the forward "gears" go in reverse - There are ways to fix this if that happens
7) others?

ALL the above have been asked and answered many times on the re-build thread underneath the repairs & maintenance thread
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/re-powering/

Do some research and get back if there are specific unanswered questions

Make sense? :-)

Last edited by unknown1; 10-16-2017 at 01:48 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kfixit View Post
Apologize. Forgot to put important piece of information. When last year winter started I asked my son to bring the snowblower from Shed. He put the gas in and started without putting the oil. It ran for 15 minutes and stopped which i told the guy what happened. So he checked few things and told me that your crankshaft is bad and since you started without oil the machine is dead.
EDIT: Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: Engines come with their own new dedicated carburetor
EDIT: Yes bigger engine is better but maybe the Predator @ $99 is good enough - many like them. Depending on who you ask a Predator is 5HP-6.5HP so it should be good or better.

You could easily have thrown the connecting rod, Look for a hole in the casing behind the electric starter if you have one, The holes often show up there... oil leaking out too.

Try standing the machine on its nose and rock it... can you hear the clanking of the connecting rod banging around.... not a good sign

It is possible that the engine is seized and may (just possibly) be recoverable - depends how long it ran with low oil (15 mins) and if the oil was REALLY low

Last edited by unknown1; 10-16-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page