Model decision on Platinum versus Deluxe - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-17-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Send a message via AIM to Scrounger
Model decision on Platinum versus Deluxe

After finally picking the new brand, I am going with a Ariens. Tired of pushing snow the BX Kubota. I originally thought the Platinum 30" SHO ($1,799 USD) since they don't make a 28" Platinum SHO and I thought the 24" was a bit narrow. The local dealer seems to think the Deluxe 28" SHO ($1,199) is a better value. Same prices locally as Snowblowers Direct so I may just buy locally and not have to put it together. Yeah I know, I'm lazy but the local guy is pretty good.

SO I need some advice, is the 414cc engine on the Platinum 30" over the 306cc ending on the Deluxe 28" SHO that big of a difference. The chute is also controlled on the dash and not the hand screw in front so that is another difference. Relative performance on says they all throw snow the same distance. The Deluxe 30" SHO for some odd reason doesn't have hand warmers however. Other than that, the features all look the same. Comparing on the Ariens site is sorta a PITA.

The choices really boil down to:

1. Platinum 30 SHO
2. Deluxe ST30LE 30"
3. Deluxe 28 SHO

WHat do you experts recommend?

Regards,

Matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
In general the more power you have the more torque and the farther the casting distance and the less loading on the engine by running slow. Adding fluid film spray to the winter tool kit helps keep the snow from sticking to everything and lets you throw it on the neighbors roof ha,ha, but it makes the job much easier and less time consuming.

If you have a space heater to melt off the ice and snow and dry it out every time you wander into the snowy wilderness you prevent the impeller from freezing in the housing.

The space heater also warms up the snow blower up really well and it will start with very little effort after letting it warm the snow caster after 15-20 minutes. If you have a warm garage all the better of course.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-17-2017, 02:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
I'd choose the Platinum 30 SHO. It has a nicer chute control and it has a decent engine. More engine is a good thing blowing snow. When you get to the end of the drive way snow plow slush, you can thank me later...

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page