LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-31-2017, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Will I be happy? New 28 deluxe

Hey all. Pretty basic question; will I be happy W/ my new 28 deluxe? Consider that I've been surviving (sometimes barely) with an Ariens model 10-ML60. I inherited this vintage beast(1963?) from my dad around 1994. I have a 200' driveway & live in the NE. Last winter broke the camels back again, and I will fix her, but I'm getting too old to be always working on my equipment instead of with it. So I just said to myself after last winter, screw it, I'm just going to buy a new one. Finally, after all these years I spent some dough. Will my new ST28DLE compete with a 50 year old machine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-31-2017, 04:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
I'm not sure about the older one, if it's like an old snowbird then you will get done a lot faster with the new machine. The new Ariens has a good high gear so if you only get a few inches of snow, you can zip thru it in no time, and back into the warm house sooner.

The new one starts on 1 pull, which is a plus. Sure it has an electric start but I never use them. They start easy enough.

Bob
post #3 of 7 Old 10-31-2017, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
IMHO you'll be very happy and it will give you time to freshen up the 10-ML60 should you choose. Hopefully you will tackle it or at least find someone interested in keeping it going. Nothing worse than having a machine you seem to always need to fix and worse still if it lets you down in the middle of a storm. I had my rider go down in 2012 and I ended up doing two tracks with a shovel down 300' of gravel Never again. I make sure I have at least two working machines going into winter now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030412 Snow fall shoveled by hand.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	112905  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Thanks. The reason I ask is, after I read a few reviews saying it was underpowered if the snow gets too wet, I got a little worried. I'm hoping that's not the case. Yes, I will fix the old 10ML60. I think it's just a blown out roll pin in the drive section. I fixed it once before so I know where the problem lies. You'd be surprised to know that my 50 yr. old machine still starts on one pull. Got to love that. If my new machine is at least as good as the old one, I should be satisfied.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-31-2017, 05:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
Carry some fluid film with you to coat everything that contacts snow and you should have fewer problems with both machines.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-01-2017, 03:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
I had a 28 deluxe.
The only time you need to slow the ground speed down is when you got 1 foot+ of wet sloppy end of driveway snow piles. After the first pass take less than full bucket amounts and you can nearly run behind it.

It's a good machine. Any engine will bog down if you have too much ground speed in the wrong conditions. My new 36" pro will bog down if I take a 36" wide 1 1/2 foot tall end of driveway pile on too fast....

Bob
post #7 of 7 Old 11-01-2017, 08:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
It is a nice well built heavy duty machine with an engine on the small side 254cc's that puts out 12.5 lb-ft. of torque. It works well on almost everything except it is somewhat underpowered when working on the plow pile. Take it slow with half bucket attacks at the pile and you should be fine. Best of luck with your new machine.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page