post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Send a message via AIM to Scrounger
Quick Turn vs Ice Drill

As most of you have read I'm back and forth between a Platinum 30 SHO and a Deluxe 30. Both are more blower than I will need, but I do have a big drive and have to clean the huge dog path in the backyard for the snow hating pup. THank and I just dont want to regret the Deluxe purchase based on quality. Especially for a $400 difference in price.

One big difference in the chute rotation. Has anyone else noticed how sloppy the ice drill chute is compared to the quick turn chute. I even asked the dealer if the Deluxe chute needed to be adjusted since it just looks like it will vibrate off it's so lose.

Matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-01-2017, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
As most of you have read I'm back and forth between a Platinum 30 SHO and a Deluxe 30. Both are more blower than I will need, but I do have a big drive and have to clean the huge dog path in the backyard for the snow hating pup. THank and I just dont want to regret the Deluxe purchase based on quality. Especially for a $400 difference in price.

One big difference in the chute rotation. Has anyone else noticed how sloppy the ice drill chute is compared to the quick turn chute. I even asked the dealer if the Deluxe chute needed to be adjusted since it just looks like it will vibrate off it's so lose.

Matthew
In looking at the chute on the deluxe machine I can't figure out why Ariens thought it was a good idea to have the operator have to reach over the handles to turn the chute. Especially when other models they make don't have that configuration. I might still go with a deluxe machine in spite of the chute crank and if I do I'm going to try to retrofit it so I don't have to reach over the handle console to get to it.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I have owned Ariens machines with both chute control designs. I am not sure why the Ice Drill control would be loose, it sounds like an installation issue or maybe it needs an adjustment.
The Ice Drill is a simple design that seems bullet proof and should last a long time without any issues. Personally not being too tall about 5'9" I do not like the leaning over the dash of an already relatively high machine while operating the machine to adjust the chute it is just not an intuitive design.

I have a Platinum model with the Quick Turn chute and it is much easier to use and works much faster. However it is a more complex design and seems like it may not be as dependable long-term and may require more maintenance and adjustment over time. I have a couple YouTube vids below my signature that touch on the chute control that you can check out. Personally I would recommend going with the Platinum if your snowblower budget allows. The Platinum 30 will give you a much more powerful engine and more power per inch which is crucial when working the plow pile at a reasonable pace. Additionally you will get the heated grips which may be helpful when clearing a long driveway. The worst thing about the Platinum 30 is the fuel tank is small for such a large engine and I am not a fan of the difficult to reinstall gas caps on GEN 3 LCT engines (just poorly engineered) which would also be an issue on the Deluxe 30. Best of luck and let us know which one you went with.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-04-2017, 07:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 52
Garage
The "ice drill chute" is adjustable. I believe you tighten the screw to add tension. Or just take a nylon zip tie and loop it around the screw and connect it around the frame somewhere to add tension to the rod.

Zip ties and duct tape, lifes modern marvels!

Bob
post #5 of 7 Old 11-05-2017, 12:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 252
Having used both extensively, I prefer the ice drill. Just seems more sturdy.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2017, 02:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
I bought a pro 28 last year. The quick turn held up just fine. It was an upgrade that didnít seem like a big deal when I was shopping, but once I started using it I was glad I had it. Same goes for the bigger engine, heated grips, etc etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2019, 09:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
have an 07 926LE with quick turn. My favorite feature, never failed. Can say the same for the blower overall but that feature is nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page