Just got a 10,000 series, what should I know? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-05-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 7
Just got a 10,000 series, what should I know?

I found an 10,000 series Ariens, model 910010 snowblower, serial 001209 with an elect. start. I've been looking for a 32" snowblower and found this one for $180.

I bought this because it ran well and I could just tune up the carbs because it sat, but is there anything in particular I should know about these machines, such as quirks to watch out for? Apparently it has a heavier duty auger gear box. Anything I should address first on this before the snow hits?

Last edited by WalkThisWhey; 11-05-2017 at 09:26 PM. Reason: I originally thought this was an ST832 but apparently it's the 10,000 series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-05-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
A few fast pics below, I'll get more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5958.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	113425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5959.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	113433  
post #3 of 6 Old 11-05-2017, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
The Ariens manual says #910010 is a 1973 model year. Serial numbers went from 101-6690.

Check it over carefully. Bushing and bearings wear out. If they haven't ever been replaced, then they are due. I'm doing that now on my 1971 910962. Bearings, bushing, tires and tubes ran about $140. Check the spindle hub. Is it aluminium or steel? Mine was aluminium and cracked. Pull the blower off and check the auger rear bearing.

Here's my standard check list:

Engine: Drain the oil, refill with 5w30 synthetic. Clean the spark plug and lube the cylinder. Check the compression while the plug is out. Pull the bowel off the carb -- flush and clean it.

Thower: Pull the shear pins, rotate and grease the rakes. Drain the gear box. If it comes out dirty, flush with diesel or mineral sprits until clean, then refill with 80w90. Check all the shaft bushings/bearings. Everything should spin easily with the belt disengaged.

Drive: Pull the lower plate, then lube all the moving parts -- use a lot of ATF if necessary, then grease. Check the hub/spindle bearings. Check the drive wheel bushings. Check the friction disk for wear. Everything should turn over nice.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WalkThisWhey thanked for this post
Likes WalkThisWhey liked this post
post #4 of 6 Old 11-05-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
The Ariens manual says #910010 is a 1973 model year. Serial numbers went from 101-6690.

Check it over carefully. Bushing and bearings wear out. If they haven't ever been replaced, then they are due. I'm doing that now on my 1971 910962. Bearings, bushing, tires and tubes ran about $140. Check the spindle hub. Is it aluminium or steel? Mine was aluminium and cracked. Pull the blower off and check the auger rear bearing.

Here's my standard check list:

Engine: Drain the oil, refill with 5w30 synthetic. Clean the spark plug and lube the cylinder. Check the compression while the plug is out. Pull the bowel off the carb -- flush and clean it.

Thower: Pull the shear pins, rotate and grease the rakes. Drain the gear box. If it comes out dirty, flush with diesel or mineral sprits until clean, then refill with 80w90. Check all the shaft bushings/bearings. Everything should spin easily with the belt disengaged.

Drive: Pull the lower plate, then lube all the moving parts -- use a lot of ATF if necessary, then grease. Check the hub/spindle bearings. Check the drive wheel bushings. Check the friction disk for wear. Everything should turn over nice.
Very helpful, thank you! The engine runs well once it starts but I definetly want to clean that carb and replace the spark plug on it. The pull start feels like it has compression but I'll grab a gauge to check regardless.

Nice thing about the auger rakes on this is that the PO put grease fittings in before.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-05-2017, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkThisWhey View Post
Nice thing about the auger rakes on this is that the PO put grease fittings in before.
Nope, not the previous owner, it came with grease zerks when new, standard equipment from Ariens.

Nice find! I also have a 32" 10,000 series, I love it..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bpahlm79 liked this post
post #6 of 6 Old 11-05-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Nope, not the previous owner, it came with grease zerks when new, standard equipment from Ariens.
Ha well looks the PO got me on that one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page