Found a 10,000 series for a reasonable price - Looks like auger is bent, U-confirm ? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-09-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
Found a 10,000 series for a reasonable price - Looks like auger is bent, U-confirm ?

Most 10,000 & 924,000 that pop up for sale around here are 300-500 dollars, but one appeared a couple days ago for a reasonable price.

Perhaps it's cheaper than most due to a bent auger, at least it looks odd to me.
Please confirm...

Also, it does not have the usual 10,000 series bucket with the 3 racing stripes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 218
I can't see the bend in the auger, but if it is, it will show up pretty quick when you engage the auger. Oh, now I see it. I was thinking the auger shaft ! You can run it with that bend in it, or do like I did with one of mine. I snugged down a pipe wrench til it had about a 1/8" opening to grab the auger blade, and then eyeballed it by bending it back to straight. Not very difficult.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-09-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
I guess a worry I would have is that whatever bent it in the first place, perhaps damaged other things that are not so easy to see.

Perhaps something heavy fell on the bucket and also bent the auger, then the owner replaced the bucket with something suitable and left the auger alone.

The only other 10,000 series available around these parts presently is priced at $500 and I'm not paying that much for a 50yo blower.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-10-2017, 02:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 9
That's a very common bend; the auger encountered an immovable object while operating and bounced off it. I wouldn't worry about bending it straight-ish and carrying on.
When you see how easy they are to bend you'll be less concerned about how it got there.
I usually use two large crescent wrenches engaging the auger flighting radially and torqued in opposite directions as needed to correct.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
That thing looks like it is built very well like a Sherman Tank. I noticed the LT side bent auger rake and some good suggestions to straighten it. Seems to be a heavy gauge steel on that unit and I like the full width auger shaft, you would have to buy the Ariens Pro series today to get that. Congrats and best of luck with it!

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 784
The bucket is likely original..
that style of bucket, with the different side panels, was seen on some of the very last 10,000 series.
It's probably a last-year model for the series, from 1974. (could be a '73 or a '74, but with that bucket it's most likely a '74.)

Scot

post #7 of 11 Old 11-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 680
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 1094
Likes (Received): 1110
Garage
i measure the distance between good rakes and then place a big locking pliers onto the blade and bend it back to a proper distance. it will help the balance.

sometimes the auger gearbox arm on that side may have been slightly bent also. usually not but sometimes so i would watch that in operation.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #8 of 11 Old 11-10-2017, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
bend it back to a proper distance. it will help the balance.
At the RPMs of the auger rakes, balance should not come into play. Unless it is rubbing, or way of of wack, the repair would, for the most part, be cosmetic.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 680
Thanks (Received): 179
Likes (Given): 1094
Likes (Received): 1110
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT333 View Post
At the RPMs of the auger rakes, balance should not come into play. Unless it is rubbing, or way of of wack, the repair would, for the most part, be cosmetic.
ok, thanks. maybe i was thinking if the auger gearbox arm was slightly tweaked that would make it unbalanced. have seen that before.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #10 of 11 Old 11-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 647
Easily Bent Back with a Pipe Wrench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page