LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-12-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 12
Chains needed for a Deluxe 24?

Moved to a new house this summer and our driveway is one that drops down from street level to the basement for the garage. It's probably a 15' vertical drop over the length but 10' of it is within about 30 to 40 feet or so. Are the standard tires up to it or should I be adding chains? Also, what are your thoughts on adding a weight kit to the bucket?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
I would see how it goes without the chains first. An Ariens tech once told me that chains can cause issues with Auto-Turn. I am not sure about that maybe some owners who use chains can weigh in on that. A weight kit never hurts I have used it on all my Ariens machines and they help with the EOD plow pile and will help you clear closer to the surface.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 Old 11-13-2017, 01:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
Before I put chains on I would put windshield washer fluid in the tires for traction.

You can buy a tire filling valve from Gemplers and the garden hose adapter to put
on the piece of garden hose and use a funnel to pour the Windshield washer fluid
in the hose and the tire filling valve has an air release valve to let the air in the tire
out as you fill the tire with windshield washer fluid.

You should not need more than a gallon to fill both tires with Windshield Washer Fluid.
post #4 of 20 Old 11-13-2017, 03:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 256
I'm a bit concerned about long term exposure of washer fluid in the tire. Most windshield washer fluids have certain chemicals in them to clean windshields and get the bugs off of there. keep that stuff exposed to rubber over the long run will no doubt cause issues.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Prime liked this post
post #5 of 20 Old 11-13-2017, 09:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post
Before I put chains on I would put windshield washer fluid in the tires for traction.

You can buy a tire filling valve from Gemplers and the garden hose adapter to put
on the piece of garden hose and use a funnel to pour the Windshield washer fluid
in the hose and the tire filling valve has an air release valve to let the air in the tire

You should not need more than a gallon to fill both tires with Windshield Washer Fluid.
Pardon my ignorance, but how does filling the tires with windshield washer liquid aid in increasing traction?
TIA
JerryR

To reply via Email: yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com
post #6 of 20 Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 158
The added weight keeps the tread tighter to the ground with or without chains and reduces slippage. Granted with snow blower tires its not that much more weight but by using liquid ballast it can make a world of difference and chains may not be needed.

Using the simple blue windshield washer fluid is fine and can be used with tubeless tires. the user just has to be sure to check the tire pressure by making sure the valve stem is at 12 O'clock to get a proper reading and add air as needed.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-13-2017, 11:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryR View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how does filling the tires with windshield washer liquid aid in increasing traction?
TIA
JerryR
I've seen farmers fill their tractor tires with water & calcium chloride (to keep it from freezing) to add weight. Same principal.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

2018 Ariens Platinum SHO Track 28
post #8 of 20 Old 11-13-2017, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie139 View Post
I've seen farmers fill their tractor tires with water & calcium chloride (to keep it from freezing) to add weight. Same principal.
Got it.
Thank you
JerryR

To reply via Email: yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com
post #9 of 20 Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonz View Post

Seems like a lot of work for 8 lbs. Just set a 1/2 case of beer on the handles ! LOL
post #10 of 20 Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 12
I use chains....but I believe itís personal preference. My tires have big deep tread.....but I do believe the chains help. Most of the chains slip inside the treads.but a few here and there overlay the tread....so there is some added grip. May just be a passed on memory from my Dad though in reality....we do tend to do what we grew up with. I have steep inclines I do on either side of house...as to whether they help...I cannot say.....I would need identical snow falls and the time and will to do with and without chains...Just feels a little better with them. But I would say honestly...this is probably not a required addition. Just personal preference IMO. Once again it depends on the machine and your typical conditions I think. As long as your tires have good tread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page