post #1 of 22 Old 11-22-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 38
Garage
Ariens Gas Cap 921052

Cardo111 has pointed out that there have been issues with some of Ariens gas caps not wanting to go back on without a fight. He, himself, has experienced it firsthand with his machine. On the other hand, I have had no issue with mine. In an effort to figure out why it is occurring, here are some pics of my gas tank/cap so they can possibly be used as a comparison to others who are experiencing problems with theirs. I tried to get as close as I could from a variety of angles. I hope this helps.

"It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

2018 Ariens Platinum SHO Track 28

Last edited by Paulie139; 11-22-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Cardo111 thanked for this post
Likes Cardo111, dbert liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-22-2017, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 395
Likes (Received): 181
Wow Paulie, you da man! Nice post and pics to help out your fellow brothers. Just looking at the cap it seems to be an over complicated design for what's needed to get the job done. I've always wondered when reading threads about hard to use gas caps and thinking "what am I missing" The gas caps on my Toro and Husky, (Briggs) and Honda lawn mower look nothing like those pics. Just how many separate pieces are needed to make one cap?

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #3 of 22 Old 11-22-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Wow Paulie, you da man! Nice post and pics to help out your fellow brothers.
Like I tell my kids, "You get out of life what you put into it."

This site has helped me immensely over the past several months so now I can start giving something back.

post #4 of 22 Old 11-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 121
Garage
On my 2015 model Platinum 30 SHO there was a coil of wire sitting on top of the screen to which was attached a tether to the gas cap. This made the cap difficult to deal with. Removing the wire coil and the tether solved the gas cap removal problem, back in 2015. I cannot see the coil or the tether in the above pics so Ariens figured it out too from all the negative comments and how to fix the problem.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 22 Old 11-22-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
On my 2015 model Platinum 30 SHO there was a coil of wire sitting on top of the screen to which was attached a tether to the gas cap. This made the cap difficult to deal with. Removing the wire coil and the tether solved the gas cap removal problem, back in 2015. I cannot see the coil or the tether in the above pics so Ariens figured it out too from all the negative comments and how to fix the problem.
Cardo111 said he's literally been 10-15 minutes getting his cap back on - does that sound like what you were going through, Town? That would be a MAJOR PITA to be messing around with that in cold temps. I hope we can get some resolution for him.

post #6 of 22 Old 11-22-2017, 05:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie139 View Post
Cardo111 said he's literally been 10-15 minutes getting his cap back on - does that sound like what you were going through, Town? That would be a MAJOR PITA to be messing around with that in cold temps. I hope we can get some resolution for him.
Not that long for me or as I remember from others so inflicted, but it did take a while and frustration sets in which increases the time. I removed the coil and tether and the screen. That gives lots of room for the cap to fit down in the neck and close properly. There is another screen at the fuel exit shutoff in a little well just above the minimum fuel level so the filler neck screen can be eliminated.

post #7 of 22 Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Paulie, I really appreciate you taking the time to post this excellent thread with great photos. The gas cap opening has been slightly redesigned, the recessed filler opening in the tank now has the strainer holder under the cap opening slots (one on each side of filler opening) on the 2015/2016 369cc Gen 3 LCT engine it sits on top of the filler opening and has to be lined up with the 2 cap opening slots before installing the fuel cap. The gas cap is the same. I have a replacement gas cap that I was able to install tonight without issue. Excited about that, my original cap was a little off. I agree with Zavie much more complicated than it has to be, Ariens tech support said they did it for emissions reasons, an anti-spill design. Perhaps they tried to copy Honda, not sure why. I know on the 420cc Briggs Polar Force engine on the Pro Series it's also a bayonnet style cap but a much simpler design. I'm pleased that is does work now but I still prefer the old screw on caps, still used on LCT engines with less than 306cc's.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 11-23-2017 at 12:37 AM.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-23-2017, 12:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 51
Garage
A strainer on a snowblower? That's over kill. I can see it on a leaf blower because of the dirty conditions, but not on a snow machine. If that strainer is a problem take it off and throw it away.

Bob
post #9 of 22 Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
A strainer on a snowblower? That's over kill. I can see it on a leaf blower because of the dirty conditions, but not on a snow machine. If that strainer is a problem take it off and throw it away.
The strainer, actually 2 strainers, are not for the working conditions of the snowblower they are insurance against foreign matter in the gas "can" used to refill the blower gas tank. It is surprising how debris can form in those plastic or metal containers even when being careful.

Your snow blower also has a screen at the fuel shutoff valve. I installed the Pro 6 liter tank a couple of years ago.

Good luck.

post #10 of 22 Old 11-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 395
Likes (Received): 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariens hydro pro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
The strainer, actually 2 strainers, are not for the working conditions of the snowblower they are insurance against foreign matter in the gas "can" used to refill the blower gas tank. It is surprising how debris can form in those plastic or metal containers even when being careful.

Your snow blower also has a screen at the fuel shutoff valve. I installed the Pro 6 liter tank a couple of years ago.

Good luck.
I use only my Chilton vintage gas cans with the built in brass screen in the spout when filling power equipment. Those cans get filled with non-ethanol gas.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page