Converting an ATC Pro 32 into an Auto-Turn Pro 32 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 01-18-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Converting an ATC Pro 32 into an Auto-Turn Pro 32

I got around to installing the Auto-Turn differential today. I did this on a 2013 Pro 32 which has the ATC differential. It was the last year of the ATC. The following year (2014) they released the Auto-Turn and I thought I'd try it out. I have no complaints or issues with my ATC, I just want to try it based on some of the positive and negative things I've read. I wanted to form my own opinion of it. It's a pretty simple swap. I took a few photos along the way.

First here are some photos of the Auto-Turn differential:

Here are some photos of the ATC differential I took out:

Here is the blower with it's wheels removed and ready to have the bottom cover removed.

Some photos with the bottom cover removed and with the ATC still installed.

Here's it with the axle slid almost all the way out. As soon as I slid the axle to the left a few more inches the ATC fell right out. Then all you have to do is slide the Auto-Turn on where the ATC was. The blue stuff you see is AMSOIL marine grease that I use to lubricate the axles, auger shafts and other things which require grease. It holds up GREAT to water.

Here it is with the Auto-Turn installed.

Here it is with the tires back on and ready for the bottom cover to be put back on.

I did take it out and played with it around the driveway. It definitely is much smoother and makes turning a lot easier compared to the previous years ATC. I don't see any reasons why I won't like this better than the ATC.

Last edited by JRHAWK9; 01-18-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks putty thanked for this post
Likes putty liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-18-2014, 05:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
Great post Hawk! I for one, as well as I'm sure a ton of other members, will be really looking forward to learning what you find out when you really get to try it out.
Cheers
Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-18-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I know I am looking forward to trying it out as well! We need some good snow storms though!! All you guys up in Canada and out on the east coast are taking all of it!
post #4 of 27 Old 01-18-2014, 05:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHAWK9 View Post
I know I am looking forward to trying it out as well! We need some good snow storms though!! All you guys up in Canada and out on the east coast are taking all of it!
Careful what ya wish for buddy. . I'll see what we can do. I'd be more than happy to send you lots of it.

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
post #5 of 27 Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Bring it on!! The bureaucrat's around here have lost touch of reality and need to be brought back to it. We live in WI, not FL. They recently closed schools for a whopping 3" of snow!
post #6 of 27 Old 01-18-2014, 05:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Thank You very much for taking the time and effort to put together that post. You did an excellent job of it. Great pictures to, you must know your way around a camera too.

I wondered how they split axle, thanks to your pictures its clear to me now. I'll be looking forward to your follow-up, posts.

Those darn Canadians send us all their cold air but never their snow.

Super job Hawk !

Ken
post #7 of 27 Old 01-18-2014, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHAWK9 View Post
Bring it on!! The bureaucrat's around here have lost touch of reality and need to be brought back to it. We live in WI, not FL. They recently closed schools for a whopping 3" of snow!
I think I heard a few winters ago, when the city of Toronto had the army come in to shovel out the bus shelters. Can you say Nanny State boys and girls?

Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24

Last edited by Blue Hill; 01-18-2014 at 07:05 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken53 View Post
Thank You very much for taking the time and effort to put together that post. You did an excellent job of it. Great pictures to, you must know your way around a camera too.

I wondered how they split axle, thanks to your pictures its clear to me now. I'll be looking forward to your follow-up, posts.

Those darn Canadians send us all their cold air but never their snow.

Super job Hawk !

Ken
Very much welcome Ken! Now that you mention it, I should have taken a picture showing the right side axle sleeve half slide on to the axle to better demonstrate how the axles are split. I totally removed the axle sleeve and set it off to the side. Glad you were able to see how it works with the photos I took.

It's seems like a very smooth system. It's actually smoother than I thought it was going to be. I thought there would be more "grabby" feedback from the inside wheel when making a zero turn. I hardly feel anything. It even seems to work decently when at max speed. I tested it while the driveway had a dusting of snow and was partially covered in ice from the sleet we had sometime last week.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hill View Post
Great post Hawk! I for one, as well as I'm sure a ton of other members, will be really looking forward to learning what you find out when you really get to try it out.
Cheers
Larry
+1 As mentioned already, great job with the camera!
post #10 of 27 Old 01-19-2014, 04:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
JRHAWK89, you made that look so easy.

Question, can that modification be made with any Ariens? I really don't know much about the mechanical workings of my 2011 24" Deluxe, however, would it be possible to swap out the axle and differential for an axle and differential meant for a 24" Platinum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page