48" ariens sno thro attachment with bad gearbox - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
48" ariens sno thro attachment with bad gearbox

Hi all. Last year I purchased a late 1970's S16 tractor with a cab, weight box, chains, and a 48" two stage ariens sno thro attachment. I LOVE IT!! Last week we got some nasty ice followed by a snowstorm. I ended up hitting a huge hunk of ice that was hidden in the snow, resulting in my brass gear and/or worm gear stripping. My own fault....did not realize the previous owner had put hardened bolts in instead of shear pins. Anyway, this is my first front mount blower and my first ariens. I am a little overwhelmed as to where to start as far as dismantling so that I can get to gearbox. I believe my model is either the 831010 or the 831009....not really sure of the difference? I checked out the manuals at the apache ariens website. It will be helpful once I need to order parts, but as of now I just need to get the darn thing apart. I have the attachment off of tractor. I pulled off belt cover and removed the belts. I have also taken the pto coupler and bracket off of the shaft. Now what? I know I have to get both pullies off so that I can bring the impellar out the front. Does the pulley just slide off the end of the shaft? I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I will admit I am a little overwhelmed. I just want to make sure I do it right. ANY advice would be helpful, or even better, step by step instructions would be GREAT! I have searched the web and am not having much luck finding any help. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I think most people here work on walk behinds, but I am sure someone will come along that knows how to help you. I know with walk behinds you split the blower from the drive unit, remove the bearings on the sides of the augers, remove the pulley from the back of the impeller shaft and then pull the whole assembly out the front.

Check for set screws on the pulleys or a bolt behind it and then try a gear puller to slide it off.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 144
Thanks (Received): 275
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 927
Welcome to the forum newbie,
Can't make any promises but a few detailed pics would sure help in diagnosing your problem.
Another thing. Have you tried going online to see if you can download a service or even a parts manual? I have fairly good luck sometimes ny typing in the product name and number and then PDF. I have found lots of manuals or at least found answers to many mechanical problems. Get some pics on here.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 10:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Went to google just now and got this by typing you part number in and added "PDF"
Is this your snowblower?

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #5 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
micah68kj and I must have been looking for the diagrams at the same time.

There is this thing called Parts Radar on the Ariens site.

' + objMainFrame.arrApplicationTitle['EN'] + ' -- PartSmart*Web*Version 5.10.0* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

You can print that exploded diagram that micah68kj posted. That should be a big help in figuring out how things go together.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 350
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 784
Here you go Newbie,
these should be useful:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/031932.pdf

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/PM-931000.pdf

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/000127A.pdf

All three manuals contain information on the snowblower attachment.
Looks to be about 1990 vintage.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for all the info guys! I have previously downloaded the parts, service, and owners manuals. They are useful for ordering parts, but not a great help as far as dismantling it. It tells how to replace the brass and worm gear but they start the instructions with the gearbox already off of the machine. Any more ideas?
post #8 of 13 Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie75 View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! I have previously downloaded the parts, service, and owners manuals. They are useful for ordering parts, but not a great help as far as dismantling it. It tells how to replace the brass and worm gear but they start the instructions with the gearbox already off of the machine. Any more ideas?
If the manual has that shouldn't it have a section "gearbox removal" in the service manual? I mean, this is the same manual that the Ariens technicians would use to disassemble it.

I've just been looking at the parts blowup. Seems as if you take the auger main shaft out and loosen the two impeller retaining bolts it should come out to where you can work on it on the bench.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #9 of 13 Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I looked a little closer and it looks like you only need to either unscrew or pop the gearcase front cap off and remove the retaining bolt. Pull the auger shaft out and you've got it out. I dunno.......looks fairly straightforward and simple enough to me.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #10 of 13 Old 12-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 350
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie75 View Post
I have run into similar issues with manuals! I have a 1964 Wheel Horse Tractor, and I discovered that back in the day, the manufacturers just took it for granted that everyone knew certain basic things! of course that isnt the case anymore (and it probably wasn't always the case back then either) but I think they just assumed more often, in the past, that everyone knows how to remove things..So the instructions for your gearbox begin something like: "Step 1, remove the gearbox" then goes into detail about the gears...but umm..hello..more info on step 1 please!

Here is my post from another forum on this topic..Newbie, I think you might have been hit by this same phenomenon!

Quote:
Thanks Mike!
another good one for the list..

So im again experiencing an odd phenomenon, which I first experienced two years ago when I started working on my 1971 Ariens snowblower:

I think "back in the day"..30, 40, 50 years ago, some things were SO obvious that the engine and tractor/mower/snowblower manufacturers didnt feel the need to explain them in detail! because everyone already knew it..Back then, boys grew up learning about tractors and engines from their fathers and grandfathers, and some things were probably just considered "common knowledge"..Well I think 50 years of suburbanization has taken a toll on that concept..and im a clear example..

My grandfather was born on a farm..in 1911..but by the time I knew him, in the 1970's, he was living in a small-town house with a teeny yard and only owned a push mower...My Dad also never owned anything more complex than a push mower..Im now 42 years old, and had never sat my butt on any kind of tractor in my entire life until a few months ago! and im not a "city boy" either..im from a small semi-rural town (Waverly, NY) surrounded by farm land..its like a suburb, but without any "urb" nearby that it can be a "sub" of..if that makes sense..but even growing up far from any real city, in "small town America", tractors were completely foreign to me..

So check out what the Kohler owners, and SERVICE manual, has to say about the fuel filter:

Quote:
FUEL FILTER
Some engines are equipped with an in-line fuel filter.
Visually inspect the filter periodically and replace when dirty with a genuine Kohler filter.
hmmm..thanks Kohler!
I guess im just supposed to instinctively know if my engine has a fuel filter or not? what it looks like? how to tell if its dirty? how to replace it? what its part number is? how to even FIND it?

50 years ago, when my tractor was new, I doubt anyone had any of these problems...interesting.

So I know my engine has an air filter, because that is big and obvious.
but I have no idea if it has an oil filter, or a fuel filter..and Kohler isnt telling me!

anyone know about the oil or fuel filter?
1964 Kohler 8HP K181.

thanks,
Scot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page