Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 172
Garage
Ariens brand heated hand grips

Hello all...

1st time messing with factory heated hand grips, was looking up the wiring diagram and saw it was wired in series. Been awhile since I've done this kind of work, so just checking with the board as a search here did not give my the answer to my question.
The question is about ariens brand heated grips... from the series wiring I'm guessing that these grips are 6 volt each, and run on alternating current power. Ive attached a schematic from an ariens repair manual.
Just wanted to make sure 100% before install these new grips on a machine I'm rebuilding, do not want to burn them out by wiring with wrong voltage or power polarity.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 32" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-05-2017, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
by the look of that schematic, you appear to be correct. If that's what Ariens says, I would go with their instructions. You might try calling them to confirm, but who knows if the person you get to talk to knows anything.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #3 of 6 Old 12-05-2017, 01:34 PM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 130
Likes (Given): 23
Yes, they are in series, in fact most of them are in series. I bought some used ones from a cub cadet and they came with wiring harness and it was set up to run the grips in series as well.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw351 View Post
Hello all...

1st time messing with factory heated hand grips, was looking up the wiring diagram and saw it was wired in series. Been awhile since I've done this kind of work, so just checking with the board as a search here did not give my the answer to my question.
The question is about ariens brand heated grips... from the series wiring I'm guessing that these grips are 6 volt each, and run on alternating current power. Ive attached a schematic from an ariens repair manual.
Just wanted to make sure 100% before install these new grips on a machine I'm rebuilding, do not want to burn them out by wiring with wrong voltage or power polarity.

Are you installing them on an Ariens machine?
I installed the heated grips using the Ariens kit P/N 72101400 on an Ariens 24" deluxe according to the instructions and new wiring that came with the kit.
I don't know what voltage they are rated for, but I can tell you that I measured the stator output at 15 to 17V AC.
There is NO polarity consideration since it's AC.
If you bought the kit, just install/hook up as instructed, If you have just the grips, wire them as shown in the diagram you posted.
HTH
JerryR

To reply via Email: yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryR View Post
Are you installing them on an Ariens machine?
I installed the heated grips using the Ariens kit P/N 72101400 on an Ariens 24" deluxe according to the instructions and new wiring that came with the kit.
I don't know what voltage they are rated for, but I can tell you that I measured the stator output at 15 to 17V AC.
There is NO polarity consideration since it's AC.
If you bought the kit, just install/hook up as instructed, If you have just the grips, wire them as shown in the diagram you posted.
HTH
JerryR
Thanks JerryR,
I know about the polarity, just mentioned it as it seemed odd to be AC. Strange there is not a fuse also, no protection for alternator. I'll post up my results soon after I complete this project.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
~~ And Lastly ~~
post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2017, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Update:
I wired in the ariens brand heated grips as per the schematic I posted earlier. 12 volts AC to the grips wired in series, worked perfectly.

Got me thinking about my 924117 that I've been modifying to be a SHO.....
I re-powered it a few years ago with a B & S 15.50 GT engine, it has a regulated 12 volt DC output power supply.
I never even thought about the heated grips being AC, I ran a fused positive wire to the heaters as I " Assumed " it was DC. And powered my led light off of it also. Both heaters and led have worked perfectly for years now with this DC power.
Guessing it works because a heating element is just that....a heater. Give it 12 volts and it heats. Interesting the things that happen and you have no knowledge of the mistake because the item works normally. Will wonders never cease to amaze.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hunterdon liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page