The final countdown .....Platinum 24 or Pro 28 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
The final countdown .....Platinum 24 or Pro 28

so I think I am between these two, I have a three car garage with an approx 7 car driveway that is I think is about 61 feet long as it goes from 3 width into 1 width to get out.

I want to store the blower in my garage between two bays, so if I measured correctly I can at most get something that is 30" wide, I have more room in the garage but trying to get it out the door with a car in there would be a challenge if its any bigger.

And then there is the cost factor, as the 24" Platinum is about $800 less than the 28" Professional.

Wondering if anyone has any direct experience with either of these and would recommend one over the other?

Also wondering how much time would be saved with the 28" over the 24"? the guy at the store said either would work for me, just a matter of time to get the job done.

Also wondering if either of the two would be better for my wife to occasionally use should I not be around?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	116937  

Last edited by bozack; 12-07-2017 at 08:26 AM.
bozack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
 
sscotsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NY, USA
Posts: 3,702
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 352
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 787
Your driveway isnt unreasonably large, not enough to worry about scoop size, IMO.
IMO, a 24" would be totally fine..my driveway is about that size, maybe a little bigger, and I have no issues with a 24".

Since garage space is the most important consideration, I would go with the 24".

cheaper.
better for the garage issue.
easier/lighter for the wife.

the only benefit of the 28" is *slightly* faster clear times..but IMO, the time difference will be small, and not enough of a benefit to outweigh the drawbacks:

more expensive
worse for the garage issue
heavier/more difficult for the wife. (although that one probably isnt a meaningful difference)

so, weighing the pros and cons, I would say 24" is the clear winner.

Scot


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sscotsman is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Cardo111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 1,052
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 125
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 168
Regarding the difference in size, good opinions have already addressed this issue and it's ultimately your decision. If you want to watch a detailed walkaround of the Platinum 24 SHO you can watch my YouTube vid below my signature. If your wife is under 5'9" tall she will have a much easier time using the Platinum 24 as it features a 21" bucket height and a low profile engine design. While the Pro 28 is clearly the more substantial of the two it is a large machine with a 23.5 high bucket height (harder to see over if you're not taller). Good luck!

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 12-07-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Cardo111 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 12-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Kielbasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 615
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
I also deal with a 2 car garage and I have a 24" Ariens. I can do a 28" machine with moving a car up just 2"-4" (if possible) does wonders for easier in and out access. With the photo of which you show of your beautiful home, $800 more for a pro over say 10-20 years down the road would not even be an issue for me. Especially if you get good size storms. Granted, a lot more fuel will be used, but having all that power and strength would make me feel more assured if and when I would need it. I think my Ariens bucket is only about 20 1/2" tall at the front and I am only around 5'6"? I have used my next door neighbors newer Ariens which has the 23 1/2" bucket and there is really no big deal. I actually liked the taller front. It made me feel a little bit more... non stopable when clearing. A bit silly but true. Because when I went back to my machine, it sort felt more like a toy. It all depends on what you can handle. Go to the dealer and maneuver the machines you are considering around and try to get a feel for them.
Kielbasa is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 12-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
drmerdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,288
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
28 was my limit too. It sits pretty between cars in my garage when staged for snow and fits nicely in my shed with my current arrangement. (10 pounds of sh*t in a 5 pound bag.)

Im certain that the platinum 24 will do wonderfully and your wife can operate it with little trouble.

For your application, The pro 28 is a product of excess. Excess power and clearing capacity. I love to dip into that category, its my jam. But is the extra 800 bucks worth it to you? You can take that money and buy a single stage for quick cleanups in light snowfall.

Personally, I have my Honda HSS 28 and a single stage machine that my wife likes to use. She usually shadows me while using the Honda and gets the driveway clean down to the pavement. Teamwork.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
drmerdp is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasa View Post
I also deal with a 2 car garage and I have a 24" Ariens. I can do a 28" machine with moving a car up just 2"-4" (if possible) does wonders for easier in and out access. With the photo of which you show of your beautiful home, $800 more for a pro over say 10-20 years down the road would not even be an issue for me. Especially if you get good size storms. Granted, a lot more fuel will be used, but having all that power and strength would make me feel more assured if and when I would need it. I think my Ariens bucket is only about 20 1/2" tall at the front and I am only around 5'6"? I have used my next door neighbors newer Ariens which has the 23 1/2" bucket and there is really no big deal. I actually liked the taller front. It made me feel a little bit more... non stopable when clearing. A bit silly but true. Because when I went back to my machine, it sort felt more like a toy. It all depends on what you can handle. Go to the dealer and maneuver the machines you are considering around and try to get a feel for them.
Hey thanks, yeah I am torn, I have never owned a snowblower before so this will be my first and while I could spend the 2k there is a part of me that doesn't really want to until I am sure I am comfortable with it, but I also don't like buying things that aren't made well. The Pro was nice, but even for me it seemed rather large, I almost think the Platinum 30 seemed more manageable but I know that wouldn't fit that well, and unfortunately I don't have a shed as my house is all on conservation land so it will have to live in the garage all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post
Regarding the difference in size, good opinions have already addressed this issue and it's ultimately your decision. If you want to watch a detailed walkaround of the Platinum 24 SHO you can watch my YouTube vid below my signature. If your wife is under 5'9" tall she will have a much easier time using the Platinum 24 as it features a 21" bucket height and a low profile engine design. While the Pro 28 is clearly the more substantial of the two it is a large machine with a 23.5 high bucket height (harder to see over if you're not taller). Good luck!
Thanks, I will check out that video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Your driveway isnt unreasonably large, not enough to worry about scoop size, IMO.
IMO, a 24" would be totally fine..my driveway is about that size, maybe a little bigger, and I have no issues with a 24".

Since garage space is the most important consideration, I would go with the 24".

cheaper.
better for the garage issue.
easier/lighter for the wife.

the only benefit of the 28" is *slightly* faster clear times..but IMO, the time difference will be small, and not enough of a benefit to outweigh the drawbacks:

more expensive
worse for the garage issue
heavier/more difficult for the wife. (although that one probably isnt a meaningful difference)

so, weighing the pros and cons, I would say 24" is the clear winner.

Scot
Thanks, I spoke with the local dealer and he said that the 28" would just mean less time clearing out, I have one other local dealer that I am going to check with on availability and then hopefully make a decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
28 was my limit too. It sits pretty between cars in my garage when staged for snow and fits nicely in my shed with my current arrangement. (10 pounds of sh*t in a 5 pound bag.)

Im certain that the platinum 24 will do wonderfully and your wife can operate it with little trouble.

For your application, The pro 28 is a product of excess. Excess power and clearing capacity. I love to dip into that category, its my jam. But is the extra 800 bucks worth it to you? You can take that money and buy a single stage for quick cleanups in light snowfall.

Personally, I have my Honda HSS 28 and a single stage machine that my wife likes to use. She usually shadows me while using the Honda and gets the driveway clean down to the pavement. Teamwork.
Nice, my wife did ask though I think the chances of her actually using it are pretty slim....for me its just a matter of cost, I think if I had owned a bunch before then spending the 2k+ would be no problem (though I might start to think of a Honda at that price)
bozack is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 12-08-2017, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
jburson250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Newmarket, NH
Posts: 260
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
Garage
@bozack please consider this:

Looking at, evaluating, test driving and becoming comfortable with a snowblower on a sunny, warm fall day at a dealers shop is an almost insignificant part of owning and using a snowblower. Perhaps even misleading. The biggest threat is price, not weather.

Using and depending on one during a storm or blizzard - just you alone, with the machine in an extraordinarily harsh environment - is a whole different experience. In these conditions, the Pro won't seem quite so huge as it does in the showroom. And the 420cc Briggs is magnificent.

After owning two lesser, often inadequate machines, I bought an Ariens Pro 28. Having used it three winters to deal many Noreasters and three NWS defined blizzards, I can assure you it is not a "product of excess." My application and yours are very similar. Our locations, and annual expected snowfall are doubtless different.

Was the Pro 28 worth the extra 800 bucks? Absolutely!

Would I buy another today, given the 2018 Ariens lineup? Yep, without question!

Please choose wisely.

Best Regards,

Jim in NH
'14 Ariens Pro 28 926038
'18 Ariens Classic 24 920025
jburson250 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 12-08-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburson250 View Post
@bozack please consider this:

Looking at, evaluating, test driving and becoming comfortable with a snowblower on a sunny, warm fall day at a dealers shop is an almost insignificant part of owning and using a snowblower. Perhaps even misleading. The biggest threat is price, not weather.

Using and depending on one during a storm or blizzard - just you alone, with the machine in an extraordinarily harsh environment - is a whole different experience. In these conditions, the Pro won't seem quite so huge as it does in the showroom. And the 420cc Briggs is magnificent.

After owning two lesser, often inadequate machines, I bought an Ariens Pro 28. Having used it three winters to deal many Noreasters and three NWS defined blizzards, I can assure you it is not a "product of excess." My application and yours are very similar. Our locations, and annual expected snowfall are doubtless different.

Was the Pro 28 worth the extra 800 bucks? Absolutely!

Would I buy another today, given the 2018 Ariens lineup? Yep, without question!

Please choose wisely.

Best Regards,
hi Jim, I guess my main question is how much of a disadvantage will I be at with the platinum 24 vs the Pro 28, if its just a time issue (less time to clear) then I am ok with that as it offsets my price and storage concerns, however if its that the machine can't handle a NE winter then that is a different story.

I visited two ariens dealers, one told me that my driveway was too large for a 24" machine and was steering me towards either a Honda for nearly 3K or a $1200 Ariens 28" deluxe sho...they said there is no point in paying $2200 for an Ariens 28" Pro when a Honda is a superior machine for only a little more, the other dealer said I'd be fine with the 24", it would just take a little longer than the 28" pro, and he advised me to steer clear of the 28" deluxe as in his words bucket size wasn't as important as the available power, clearly some conflicting info there.
bozack is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 12-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Kielbasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 615
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
It's amazing what a dealer will say and try to push...
Kielbasa is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Cardo111 liked this post
post #10 of 12 Old 12-08-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 17
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasa View Post
It's amazing what a dealer will say and try to push...
Well to be fair with the second dealer I had to ask to get their guy and he didn't push really hard, was just like meh whatever you want....the first guy was really pro Honda and said I'd get one Honda for every 3 ariens I needed.
bozack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome