LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-09-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1638
Likes (Received): 381
Ariens 910965 (aka 524 Sno-Thro)

This somehow ended-up in the truck when I went out for firewood this am ...

It's a little rough around the edges but definite potential.

In a weird twist, it's the same guy that sold my my Allis Chalmers Tracker-7... who just so happens to own a tree service. Hopefully the blood-splatter on the auger housing isn't from a chainsaw accident!

He had 3 monkey wards he wanted to sell me ...dirt cheap ...with 7 & 8hp Briggs flatheads. That was painful to pass-up ...not nearly as painful as wife + cast-iron-skillet).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

Last edited by classiccat; Today at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-09-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here it is after a WD40 wipedown & lubed auger rakes.

The blower/tractor is mechanically sound and actually in pretty good condition considering its age / treatment.

There's zero play in the auger/impeller.

The auger rakes spin freely on the shafts!

Auger assy clutch engages (needed some WD to free things up).

There's still alot of meat left on the scraper & no wear on the housing; I do need to weld some metal on the skids.

The handlebars could use some sanding/paint.

The only issue, the speed selector linkage seems to be binding; it goes from N to Rev pretty easily but cannot go into forward gears. The hex shaft is well lubed.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Last edited by classiccat; Today at 11:50 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 14 Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The engine is very likely like the original H50. It's a 0174 serial #... so built on the 174th day of 1970.

It felt like it had good compression; someone has been in here "recently". The head gasket isn't original and the valves are closing.

There's very little coke on the head/piston (a thin coating which wiped right-up with seafoam) and I can see scrape marks on the piston.

Unfortunately the fuel tank (metal) had fuel left inside...the entire fuel system is a mess; the carb body will need a good soak in cleaner.

a nice varnish snail-trail outside of the carb:

a few shots of the linkage for other guys with similar setups:

carb pulled for a good soak:

It also does not have spark so engine is pulled with the flywheel removed.

The fuel tank has a few inches of seafoam + some chain for breaking things up. It's already looking usable despite only soaking for a few hrs.

And that's where we are... pretty productive day spent on old-iron (and firewood )

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Last edited by classiccat; Today at 11:55 AM.
Likes AriensPro1128 liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 12-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
chassis looks super clean
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
post #5 of 14 Old 12-09-2017, 09:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Always amazes me how something made to be used in wet/freezing conditions and frequently exposed to the elements in summer too can still have so little corrosion after more than 45 years. As a young metal fabricator at Eastman Kodak at the same time as this snowblower was built baked on enamel paint was the norm. Assuming that's what was used on this snowblower it has certainly held up better than the powder coat paint on my 10 year old Cub Cadet.
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #6 of 14 Old 12-09-2017, 09:21 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
nice score there ! my rendition of that machine was purchased for $20, tires chained, ventilated block. a chonda repower, impeller kit and new belt......its a beast. sure it wont sling snow 45 ft, but it is my go to machine when the going gets tough.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

Likes classiccat liked this post
post #7 of 14 Old 12-09-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
nice score there ! my rendition of that machine was purchased for $20, tires chained, ventilated block. a chonda repower, impeller kit and new belt......its a beast. sure it wont sling snow 45 ft, but it is my go to machine when the going gets tough.
He actually had it listed on CL for $60. I ended up with the Ariens and a bed full of firewood for c-spot...so I think I did alright

I was a little disappointed that it's a 5hp... just gotta take it slow and not bog it down too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
Always amazes me how something made to be used in wet/freezing conditions and frequently exposed to the elements in summer too can still have so little corrosion after more than 45 years. As a young metal fabricator at Eastman Kodak at the same time as this snowblower was built baked on enamel paint was the norm. Assuming that's what was used on this snowblower it has certainly held up better than the powder coat paint on my 10 year old Cub Cadet.
No doubt... stuff they used is like kevlar. I'm guessing the quality of the steel also plays a role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
chassis looks super clean
I wonder if the thick coating of grease and mud served as a preservative.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

post #8 of 14 Old 12-09-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
The only issue, the speed selector linkage seems to be binding; it goes from N to Rev pretty easily but cannot go into forward gears. The hex shaft is well lubed.

the housing is worn where this stud counters the linkage for raising the friction disc when changing speeds; the friction disc can't clear the neutral recess on the traction plate.

EDIT: A washer placed here enables smooth shifting. I'm going to put some weld where the housing is worn..

Here's the seafoam/varnish sludge that came out of the fuel tank... Now I have MMO in there taking care of any rust.

Unfortunately, sanding/resetting the points and adjusting the spark advance to 0.080 BTDC didn't help the ignition issue. I may be buying some parts.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Last edited by classiccat; Today at 12:05 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-10-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Unfortunately, sanding/resetting the points and adjusting the spark advance to 0.080 BTDC didn't help the ignition issue. I may be buying some parts.
I did a bottom-notch job sanding the points the 1st time...

The top-contact is after a thorough job... the bottom (cam connection) is the one that I 1/2-arsed. Pitts were large/deep.

Setting the spark advance (I marked the magneto):

...for the points to open at 0.080"

With all of the pitting removed, it's popping a nice blue spark even when spinning the flywheel by hand.

I just need to wrap-up the fuel system, do a valve job (had to remove the breather anyway...something made a nest in it and totally-clogged the breather tube...stink-bug?) & ordering some new gaskets.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Last edited by classiccat; Today at 12:07 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-10-2017, 04:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 170
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 583
Glad to see you saved another one CCat....I prefer the ones 20 years newer.....but try and save all the old ones I can!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page