All forward gears work, reverse gears do not - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-10-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
All forward gears work, reverse gears do not

ST30DLE - Circa 2011 30 inch Platinum with Briggs engine.

Now when I say reverse gears do not work, I mean that is when the unit is on the ground. When I lift the rear wheels off the ground they do technically spin in reverse. The thing PULLS in all forward gears, but has no power in reverse.

A list of things I've done to try to troubleshoot:

1.) The traction belt is replaced
2.) Friction disc is brand new
3.) Cleaned/degreased friction plate
4.) Adjusted drive selector rod according to manual
5.) Tightened throttle cable

I had the belly plate off today looking any I really couldn't find anything wrong. I replaced the disc just in case. It seemed to me that when the selector was put in reverse the disc went all the way to the correct side and couldnt go any further due to the clip on the hex shaft so its not like the selector is bent.

Is it possible that the friction plate just isn't coming up to meet the disc with enough force? I tightened up the throttle cable thinking it wasn't coming up far enough.

Just looking for ideas I can look at for what might be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-10-2017, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
in reverse and drive lever down in drive mode does rubber disc touch friction wheel
post #3 of 15 Old 12-10-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycom View Post
in reverse and drive lever down in drive mode does rubber disc touch friction wheel
Yes it does.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-10-2017, 06:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinMaine View Post
Yes it does.
remove cover of drive box, support drive frame up as to get drive wheels off the ground, start her up and engage reverse gear, drive disc should be turning the rubber wheel, if yes then wheels should be spinning in reverse. with someone holding drive lever down grab the tire to try to stop it from turning or get the tires to ground level and see if they still turn. take vid if u can

Last edited by vinnycom; 12-10-2017 at 06:57 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 41
Ck the swing plate bushings or for any loose bearings.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 3
I had the same problem with mine recently. Ended up being a wheel bearing (left side) and in turn egged out the right side of the main frame. I replaced the wheel bearing and added a shaft support and now have reverse. May not be whats wrong with yours but it's worth a check.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-11-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351beno View Post
Ck the swing plate bushings or for any loose bearings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbass View Post
I had the same problem with mine recently. Ended up being a wheel bearing (left side) and in turn egged out the right side of the main frame. I replaced the wheel bearing and added a shaft support and now have reverse. May not be whats wrong with yours but it's worth a check.
Thanks I'll check both of these when I have time.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-11-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:

Please see my attachment. My snowblower looks like a slightly different setup than yours but it looks like maybe the hole is starting to egg-out which does jive with what you were saying. I believe this is where the shaft that hinges forward to bring the drive plate into contact with the friction disc is held into the frame. There is enough play there (and it moves when I engage drive) that could be causing the loose contact with the plate when a load is applied.

Am I on the right track? Unfortunately on mine It looks like the holes are taken by those bolts. I'll have to take a look at a parts diagram to figure out what those bolts go to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2726.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	117730  
post #9 of 15 Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:

I tried posting this yesterday but it never showed up I guess.

It looks like the hole where the swing plate is retained is egging out like you said. When I engage drive I can see the shaft shifting in the hole, which makes sense as it comes up to meet the friction wheel it is pushed back and doesnt maintain a good pressure. Pic here https://imgur.com/a/NtwKS

I think this makes sense, I'm just wondering what I do to fix this? It doesnt look like I can do the same support that you put on there because I dont have any holes for it. Do you think this could be my issue? I may try to shim it with a nail or something see if it fixes it.

Edit: Oh Crap! I just looked at a parts diagram and there is supposed to be a polymer bushing there! NO wonder it isnt working right. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction, everyone.

Last edited by LostinMaine; 12-12-2017 at 11:15 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-12-2017, 01:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Received): 149
Quick remedy would be to tack a heavy duty washer to siding around the shaft to hold it in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page